Elna Silmic II or Elna Cerafine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Same here buddy!
In all the various circuits i've worked with, the same capacitor can change dramatically.

When the Elna Silmic II exceeds, they exceed very very well.
But when used for circuits such as the ones to power sub-woofers, they just sound slouchy, flat, and loose in bass impact.

To be real honest, i actually prefer Nichicon KZ over Silmic II's and think they're one of the most balanced sounding capacitor out there.
I only use Elna's in places that i think they would excel in, and 60% of they time they do, the other 40% i end up replacing them with Nichicon KZ.
Black Gates are good, but I for one, think that it only "truly" sounds because you realize how much you've spent on a freaking capacitor, and ends up clouding your judgement.

Now when i buy capacitors, i just search for the highest ripple, lowest leakage, and longest lifespan i could find, this is however, for the power supply areas only.
As for anything in the signal, if room isn't an issue i try to go for pure silver leaded large polypropylene film caps, however if space is small or if it's an electrolytic, just get something with oxygen free copper leads for lower distortion.
Only negative here is that you'll likely have to recap them in a year or two as their lifespan isn't as good as the capacitors that are used for power rails, but hey, it's no biggy if you use a high end solder sucker. It's opening the chassis that is a PITA.

Last edited:
I called a friend of mine he loved the change with silmics but I hate it its removal of details. Considering the cap value might be high I tried even 1uf in series with 1uf at decoupling stage but I felt its good but still its too much for my taste. Some people like this kind of change for Bass being enhanced and rounded. All together I feel its for the people who has very harshy system and hate highs much will love these. Finally its all in the matter of taste. But but but believe me or not the naturalness of timbre in instruments is absolutely outstanding and you will never believe its your system doing it. Now im behind how to get back the details preserving this magic happening. Did anybody tried KG mixed with silmics? Please if anybody has this combination of KG with silmics please do try this and post the feed back ... Just use both in parallel and please tell us how things have changed...

Late to the party, but...

Agree 100% about Nichicon KZ.

Cerafines... I've never found them harsh or dull - crisp & clean and neutral. Silmics blur fine detail and transients, to my ears at least. Soft, and rather boring.

Fascinating how we all hear different attributes... Or more likely how the caps work in different circuits.

John.
My experience with both Elna's is this:

Cerafines can sound "hard and edgy" at first, but after only a few hours (5 or 10 even), they calm down. Still, they'll never be known for their warmth.

A number of other people here have said that Silmics sound "slow" or "blur detail." I can only imagine that perhaps they weren't run long enough.
Silmics, after qbout 80-100 hours to burn in, present the most natural mid-to-high range of any 'lytic (to my ear). That said, they still don't have as tight a bass as the Cerafines (or Nichicon KG).

Those of you brave enough (or curious enough) can try these combinations, if you have the space to do so. They are the result of many hours of experimentation.

Signal path - Nichicon KG (at next-lower-value from suggested) plus Silmic at 20% of that value in parallel.
Leave piece on for 5 days straight. You'll might be amazed.
Need more "air"? Put a Vishay MKP1837 (10-47nF polyprop) in parallel.

Cathode bypass - Nichicon S6 are really good Kbypass caps for the (dirt cheap) money . So are Parts Express' 100V "non-polar crossover capacitors."
Want better? Try a Rubycon TWL bypassed with a small Paper-In-Oil.

Power supply -
Low voltage (<20V): Nichicon S6 (or HT) series
Mid voltage (20-100V): Nichicon HE + small-value Paper-In-Oil
High-voltage: Nichicon KX (or BHC Aerovox) + Solen PBB "Fastcap" @ 5-10% of value

I don't claim to be a "capacitor guru" of any kind - I've just found that, unless I'm specifically trying to "tailor" the sonic response of something (i.e. it's pretty neutral to begin with), these combinations tend to work well.

...Did anybody tried KG mixed with silmics? Please if anybody has this combination of KG with silmics please do try this and post the feed back ... Just use both in parallel and please tell us how things have changed...
See above.
I use the KG Type-II mostly. They're close to Type-III 'Super-Through's in quality, but less expensive, and noticeably better than Type-I's. (Actually, KS series are better than Type-I's ― both in detail and smoothness ― and more compact as well).

Last edited:
I found this forum with a quick Google search. I was actually thinking that I might be a little obsessive about this cap thing. Apparently I;'m not alone.

I'm currently right in the middle of auditioning three different sets of caps (Tonerex, SilmicII, and Cerafine) in three Hafler DH120's that I have restored. This all kind of started after I purchased a used, but working DH120 on Ebay. I started off by recapping the main ps, and then discovered a kit to upgrade the amp with a combination of electrolytics and poly caps, etc. I also replaced the existing wiring and connectros etc and got rid of the input pots. The kit also offered a slight modification to the original amp. It came with Tonerex caps. When I finished the job and fired it up I was amazed at how good it sounded. So I ended up buying two more of the 120's (all under $100.00). I also own a DH220 that I have had for many years and that amp has not been upgraded at all. I have it in my office with a stock Spectro Acoustics 217 and two Rane 1/3 octave Eq's into two recently restored and recapped EAW JF80's

So, now that I am in the middle of experimenting with these electrolytic caps, two issues have come to mind. A) yes, absolutely these caps make a huge difference, and B) loudspeakers are a huge factor in the equation. I am keeping all variables fixed and only swapping caps, but at the end of the selection there will have to be a final and careful eq performed. So with a 1/3 octave you can tweak the outcome to a very musical result which might leave you with any of those caps and satisfied.

I am currently listening to the Silmics and just before that I had the Cerafines in. I found the Cerafines to be much more edgy than the Tonerex and I didn't like them after listening to a lot of known music. The Silmics were a big change, but at first I wondered if they might be too smooth. They have grown on me over the last two days. The detail is definitely there but the shrill edgy zing is gone. it's difficult to describe because they almost sound like they are compressing in a pleasant way at certain frequencies (like tape saturation in a way but much more hi fi).

My 2 cents worth.

I've recapped a NAD3150 with cerafines apart from Nichicons
used in the power supply. Also upgraded the opamp, voltage
regulator and...

Result was OK, but a bit flat. Continued to listen to the
amp for 6-9 months. Dramatic improvement when running the
NAD as a power amp with external preamp. The NAD (pre/power)
was almost unlistenable with other equipment being played.

Eventually changed C505, 506, 517, 518 (signal path, preamp) to
Silmic II's. Significant improvement (more open, more detail...)
Nothing subjective about this.

Then changed C539, 540, 601, 602, 603, 604 (signal path pre/power)
to Silmic II's. There was no dramatic improvement.

I've also recapped a HK6300, Mundorf in psu and cerafines.
Similiar results. Disappointed with the flat sound. Have just
now replaced C401, 402, 411, 412, 416, 417, 505, 506 (signal
path "ish") with Silmic II's. Significant improvement.

My observations/conclusions/theory is that Silmic II's are better
than cerafines in the small signal area. Other caps may be better.

I would not use cerafines in the signal path of a preamp or phono
stage. There are better alternatives.

Will give both amps time (months) to settle down before making
a full assessment of the Silmic's.

Cerafines/Silmics sourced new from partsconnection.

I've omitted some detail as it was deemed not relevant to the post.

Ooooops!

Correction, Cerafines were sourced from Hifi Collective. I will order Cerafines from partsconnection/mouser and roll back C505, 506, 517, 518 in the NAD and check for any significant change.

Along with the NAD3150 and HK6300 a Marantz CD 75 MkII was also upgraded with same batch of Cerafines, result also disappointing. Rotel RCD-855 after upgrade of power supply with Nichicon's makes music, I did not have the heart to remove the blackgate caps.

Luxman C120A Preamp Recap

I am getting ready to recap a Luxman C-120A pre-amp. After reading many posts on this site and others I had settled on Elna Cerifines in the power supply and Elna Silmic II in the phono section, pre-amp section and coupling caps.

The problem is, I cannot find a single source for the Cerifines in the values I need (partsconnextion.com and Digikey don't have them) 220uF x 50V and 47uF x 50V.

Does this sound like a good way to go or would another type in the power supply be a better way to go?

Cerafines/Silmic in Power Supply

I initially tried Cerafines and Silmics II in the NAD3150 power supply but some failed, their ripple current rating is a bit low, so switched to Nichicon KZ/FG/KG/FW. Currently, I use Nichicons prior to voltage regulators and Silmics after.

Maybe you will have better luck with the Luxman as opposed to NAD's budget approach.

Follow up to my post on Cerafines v Silmic II's in NAD3150 preamp stage.

Recapped a second 3150 in same way as the first (Silmic's, Nichicons,
OPA2604,,,) Both sound the same.

On one unit, rolled back C505, 506, 517, 518 (1uf/50V preamp) with Cerafines
sourced from parts connection to retest comments made earlier.

"Eventually changed C505, 506, 517, 518 (signal path, preamp) to
Silmic II's. Significant improvement (more open, more detail...)
Nothing subjective about this."

and

"I would not use cerafines in the signal path of a preamp or phono
stage. There are better alternatives."

I could switch between the two amps reasonably quickly for comparisons.

The Cerafines sounded good, the Silmic II's sounded better (more open,
more detail...). The difference was not dramatic as suggested above
but very noticeable.

If your system is a little bit on the "bright" side then the Cerafines
would be a good choice to tone it down a bit. However, my vote goes to
the Silmic II's for the extra openness/detail.

Elna Silmic II

I'am in the process of replacing electrolytic capacitors in my Power amps (monoblocks) . I've already purchased Elna Slimnic II from handmade electronics.

So probably you guys could guide me in the right direction.

I consider replacing all the caps marked in the picture, the corner ones (top/bottom) are Panasonic FC bypassing powersupply caps. Planning to replace them with ES II 1000uf/50vdc.

The ones in the center I plan to use ES II 470uf/35vdc X 4 replacing the 8 as seen in the pic.

Please advise...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 746
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.