• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL 82 low power end tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I'm building stereo amplifier and I need change for ECL82. I have at home some of ECC82, ECC83, ECC81, ECC85, EL84, EL86 and some others. So, with which of this tubes can I change ECL82?

Thanx!

Can you also look if the shematic is ok? I found only a mistake with potentiometer.

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,154
R1....... 1M
R2.......6k8
R3.......330
R4.......22
R5.......1k2 5W
R6......150E 2W
R7.......100K 2W
R8.......27K 2W
R9, R10....100
P1.....47K log
P2.....5k trimer
C1.....47pF
C2.....47uF/35V
C3.....100uF/100V
C4, C5....220uF/385V
V1...EF86
V2...ECL82 (6BM8)
D1,D2....1n4007
T1 .....for stereo: 200V-210V I=120mA, 6.3V I=2.5A, 50W
G.......diode bridge 385V 1.5A

Primoz,

The short answer is you cannot easily swap any of your tubes easily into this circuit in place of an ECL82 - your output pentodes have different characteristics that that of pentode stage of the ECL82 and you have no direct replacement for the EF86. Possibly the triode section of the ECL82 could be replaced by a triode section of one of your ECC83s without too many circuit alterations but there would be no point in doing so. As the circuit employs direct coupling throughout it is not an easy matter to swap a tube to one with different characteristics without circuit alterations - your power supply would also have to be reviewed if you use an EL84 for output because of it's heavier current requirements over an ECL82.

However, with the tubes you have (for example, ECC83 and EL84) you should be able to find schematics for good quality amps both on the web and by searching this forum.

Thanx for link!
I was interested in this amp because it is "something special":bigeyes: - Single Triode Connection. This mean that you have on output pentode, but it have voice of triode tube and other good things. More on this link
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/evo/amp/
I want to change the output tube, because ECL82 can give only 2W (and I don't have it) but EL84 can give 4.5W which will be enough. I have also output transformators for this tube. Problem is only triode in ECL82, because I don't know with which can I swap it. EF86 I'm going to buy. Yes, if I change the tubes there will be problem with changing the schematic...... If there is not chance with this amp, I'll make normal single ended with EL84

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Picture quality is rubbish, too.

James D. said:
AT work I have a continue battle with people over how TV sound ,and radio too, is being reduced to very poor quality by digital compression systems. Most people say it doesn't matter 'cos the TV reproduction is so poor you can't hear the difference so I wheel out my 'typical' early sixties TV audio setup and embarrass the hell out of them.... It's not failed yet.

You're absolutely right. Broadcasting has changed from the challenge of managing to do it at all (remember daily pre-transmission line-up of colour cameras?) to getting away with the worst quality that doesn't actually provoke numerous complaints from viewers/listeners. Ultimately, it's all because the advertising cake is the same size it always was, but more channels means everyone gets a smaller slice...

...progress....what progress...

Broadcasting has changed from the challenge of managing to do it at all (remember daily pre-transmission line-up of colour cameras?) to getting away with the worst quality that doesn't actually provoke numerous complaints from viewers/listeners. Ultimately, it's all because the advertising cake is the same size it always was, but more channels means everyone gets a smaller slice...

I do indeed remember the days of full line-ups and 4 tube cameras - the EMI 2001 has never been equalled.

I also remember when I started being told by the old-timers that I had missed the best days of television...and now I hear people a generation later saying the same thing to people starting out in the industry...

But you are absolutely right in your characterisation - it is all about reducing the quality to the minimum that is acceptable and that is a complete turn around from what I was taught when I started... My biggest battle is to get my collegues to understand what they are giving up so that we can put a proper weighting on quality when we make our bandwidth versus cost decisions. The level of ignorance amongst TV professionals as to what is good picture or sound quality and how that effects the viewers enjoyment and satisfaction with a programme or channel is very worrying. But the smugness with which they wallow in their ignorance and the disregard that they have for the audience is very saddening...

ciao

James

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Nostalgia...

EMI 2001/II. Yes, we had these. With careful line-up and bags of light they produced cracking quality. Not all over the picture, but we all felt they were a breath of fresh air when we came back from the new studio centre and lined up the EMIs for their very last time...

You're absolutely right, the viewer/listener is being insulted by the quality compromises being made by the bean counters.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: ...progress....what progress...

James D. said:
The level of ignorance amongst TV professionals as to what is good picture or sound quality and how that effects the viewers enjoyment and satisfaction with a programme or channel is very worrying.

Lets hope that the increasing number of people watching DVDs changes the consumers expectations and broadcasters. And then there is the whole HD thing. If people start voting with there wallets for the higher quality maybe broadcasters will pay attention.

Our pair of Thompson/Philips Vipers have arrived. I hope to get hands on soon.

dave

Attachments

• viper.jpg
    viper.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 737
I have had (still have actually) a 6bm8 / ECL82 push pull amp for years. It was build with the transformers from an old Trio amplifier. It is the best sounding push pull amp I've ever made. Totaly build with dump materials for about 150 dutch guilders at the time.

This has been my reference for years. I've build many El84 pp, EL34 pp, 6V6 pp and two differenst kind of tube/mosfet hybride amps, but the damn ECL82 amp still beats them all. I really like this tube. It has a really good triode section and it has one of the best penthode's I've ever used and as a bonus, it's very cheap too.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Vintage?

Hello James,

sadly, I only have the one photo-copied page, origin unknown. However, the page also mentions the original Tobey and Dinsdale transistor amplifier. I agree, it has more of a semiconductor flavour. If you want to balance that, take a look at the design of the Quad 50, which is a Williamson implemented with transistors (right down to the output transformer)!

Mullard did publish the circuit for a stereo pp ECL82 amp in 1959, using ultra linear output and an ECC83 driver, giving about 7w per channel. I did have a factory made unit based on this design some years ago, featuring Parmeko transformers and chokes, and from what I remember it gave good performance for such a modest output.

I'm sorry I no longer have it, especially as I bought it at a jumble sale (I think that's called a 'rummage sale' in the US) for £1.00 ($1.50) only!

Hi EC8010,

Yeah, the QUAD 50 is an interesting anomaly. Have you heard one? I've always been in two minds with QUAD electronics but I love the original Electrostatic! Didn't like the ESL63 quite so much (the designer of that one is a friend of mine and beats over the head ever time I state this:) :) )

Hi Bournville,

My father reminded me that I built an ECL82 push pull amplifer in the middle 60s! I had forgotten but he still has it stored in the loft... The design was based on the Mullard but didn't use such premium components...

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the link - those designs are pretty ordinary - nothing wrong with that but not interesting enough for me!

Talking of ordinary here is the ECL82Se design I'm using at work modified with the cheap Hammond chokes Joel recommended.

ciao

James

Attachments

• ecl82se.gif
    ecl82se.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 790
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.