• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL 82 low power end tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

I want to ask: does anyone know something about the ECL 82 tube? Since a few months I have bought the 'Klein&Hummel Telewatt VS-56' and it sounds very nice, but the output power is on the lower side. Perhaps a matching speaker? :)

Maarten.

Attachments

• vs56_1.jpg
    vs56_1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,941
G´day

ECL 82 is a nice little tube with one input triode and one output pentode in the same "bulb". Maximum plate dissipation for the pentode is about 7 watts if i remember correctly.
Nice tube to build simple amps with, as one tube (per channel)contains "everything" needed for a single ended amp. Puts out somewhere around 3 watts in SE pentode mode.

My first tubeamp employed two PCL 82´s (same thing but different filament voltage) with the pentodes wired as triodes.
Quite sweet little bugger...:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: APPLICATION NOTES

The 6BM8 is a nice little tube -- it has quite a following, particularily in Japan. I am using an SEP 6BM8 in the lab (Calrad) and it does a not bad job of driving my little alnico BK101 hons (90 dB). I also have a couple more that came out of Roberts R-R tape decks. One of these days i'll go over one of them properly and see what i can squeeeze out of them sound-wise.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
UCL82

Hi,

Why not just polarize the upper tube with a part of the anode supply so that you don't exceed heater to cathode insulation ratings?

I see your point but having a 50V heater supply isn't the sollution since these are current driven heaters.

Ciao,;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Colt45 said:
I wish they had a 60v heater though; then you could make a two tube transformerless (less the OPTs) stereo amp..

I don't really recommend that. You really want the isolation from the wall IC. I'm taking 50EH5 and 50C5 amps that rectified the wall, and adding HV trafos (althou since i can keep it isolated i will run heaters off the wall). My 5-buck amp is one of these. It is pretty small.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

I have just built one for fun using the Single ended mullard circuit and a 5V4 as rectifier. It sounds pretty good, but definitely could do with a bit more grunt. Also the tubes get really hot, I am at about 8 or 9 watts dissipation tho.

Nice looking amp BTW, is it SE or Push-Pull?

In Push-Pull you could get a clean 10W or so from a pair.

The Japanese seem to love them, I guess its the whole miniturisation factor, they can be built on a very small chassis.

~h~

UCL82 - The TV audio amplifier!

You might be amused by my use of an ECL82 single ended amp and 4" full range speaker as a 'typical TV audio' setup to illustrate what TV Sound should be like.

AT work I have a continue battle with people over how TV sound ,and radio too, is being reduced to very poor quality by digital compression systems. Most people say it doesn't matter 'cos the TV reproduction is so poor you can't hear the difference so I wheel out my 'typical' early sixties TV audio setup and embarrass the hell out of them.... It's not failed yet.

They do check with other technical sources and most spot that I have used an ECL82 instead of a UCL82 but they can't argue that it's an accurate characterisation...

What price progress....

regards

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.