ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys! There is a small problem. When replacing I probably brought down stabilizer. Сhip DAC shown on the photo on the voltage VDDL VDDR AVDD - 1.2V. On the other DAC - about 5V. Which of stabilizers has failed?

There are 3 LT1085 regulators in line with same heatsink. According to your photo, left one should be digital supply regulator. Middle and right ones are separate analog supplies for each chip. You have to read 5V on middle pins (Vout) of these regulators. If voltages ok, check AVDD (pin41) and DVDD (pin1) voltages of chips via 100nf ceramic bypass capacitors.

Good news guys, finally i managed to test I2S input using this Diyinhk XMOS interface: Isolated XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB with ultralow noise regulator - DIYINHK
Results were a bit a see-saw but all ended reasonably well.
At first attempt i connected I2S outputs from XMOS interface to the 8 resistors shown in post #525, but i got only sparkling sounds without any sense. Connecting my Raspberry PI was a useless attempt due to the lack of MCLK.
At second attempt i added DGND connection from XMOS interface to DGND in the Weiliang XMOS connector on DAC PCB, leaving SPDIF and Toslink cables connected (if i remove SPDIF cable no sound at all - DAC only sounds in SPDIF input mode).
Eureka! Good sound out! But still a bit sparkling playing 24-bit files (strangely enough), clean sound playing 16 bit PCM or 32 bit DSD files.
Then i disconnected Toslink cable and... miracle! No sparkling even playing 24 bit files!
Sound is just amazing, very rich and powerful but very open and clean, with very good and natural highs, quite a bit better than a good SPDIF input (even if I2S cables are nearly 15cm long).
Occasionally some sparkling starts again after switching the DAC on, but i simply have to plug/unplug Toslink or SPDIF cables to stop the noise: no doubt AK4113 mode signals to DAC chips are to blame. But i can easily stand that...
Just a piar of pics to show the test setup (don't mind bad solders, that was just a test...):

AK4399 I2S particolare.jpg AK4399 I2S 1.jpg
Next step will be implementing a multiplexer I2S switch to allow the use of SPDIF and Toslink inputs as well...

Last edited:
I will give my opinion about this dac, (version AK4113). For me the sound is good. I did the replacement of Ne 5532 by HDAM and the sound improved. But with the AD825 is the best. Now I have a doubt, when I turn on the Blu ray disc with 2L album 24-bit 192 kHz, the LCD only shows 48 Khz with SPIDF or optical connection.
I ordered the XMOS seven-pin module. What do you think of this module?
I would like to make the change in TVDD voltage to 5 V, but I have some fear.
Best Regards

Hi,

I have decided to do the direct I2S mod but using my WaveIO card and I'm not getting any sound. Here's what I did using the Isolated I2S output header:

1- Connected the +V of the isolator chip on WaveIO header to the +3.3V regulator of the AK4318 and used the GND of the same reg to the WaveIO GND pins

2- Connected the I2S signal as follow
WaveIO --> Dual AK4399
MC --> MCLK
DT --> SDOUT
BC --> SCLK
LR --> LRCK

Is this ok?

Thanks
Do

Ok, by removing the MCU I'm getting sound but it is all scratchy so I'm guessing wrong sample or bit rate??

Any thoughts?

If you remove MCU, chips wouldn't go mono mode.

If you don't plug spdif cable, MCU doesn't turn on dac chips according to my experience. Just plug the spdif cable (then leave unplugged if it continues to operation). If you get scratchy sound, you should set correct pcm mode of dac chips (which requires reprogram MCU) or reprogram WaveIO for behaving compatible with AK4113 output (which must be 24bit i2s )

Hi,

I have decided to do the direct I2S mod but using my WaveIO card and I'm not getting any sound. Here's what I did using the Isolated I2S output header:

1- Connected the +V of the isolator chip on WaveIO header to the +3.3V regulator of the AK4318 and used the GND of the same reg to the WaveIO GND pins

2- Connected the I2S signal as follow
WaveIO --> Dual AK4399
MC --> MCLK
DT --> SDOUT
BC --> SCLK
LR --> LRCK

Is this ok?

Thanks
Do

I had to connect I2S signal GND from XMOS board to DGND of Weiliang XMOS connector to get rid of most of the scratchy sounds.
I didn't remove the Weiliang MCU, but had to keep SPDIF cable connected to the DAC, otherwise i couldn't hear anything; i connected Toslink cable too. I only could get the sound out in SPDIF input mode.
Files of certain bit depth (mostly 24 bit, that's strange) kept producing little poppy sounds, but unplugging Toslink cable did the job; the cable had to be connected before the bad sounds started to pop, otherwise i couldn't stop them.
More, i don't think feeding the USB board using DAC's 3.3V is a good idea. I used a separate, small low-noise linear regulated power supply from diyinhk, with its own thoroidal transformer. Sound was really good!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.