ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi NinoSimona,

Thank you very much. I missed the post.

My CDT is CDPro2 and has I2S output. Does this mean I can skip the receiver and connect the I2S output directly to the 4 resistors and a GND signal? In this manner, I think I have to lift the resistors from the PCB and connect the two corresponding resistors together. Am I right?

Yet, from my manual, I saw my CDT has different names in output pins. Does they corresponds to the names here
MCLK (MCLK)
SCLK (BCK)
Data (SDOUT)
LRCK (LRCK)
GND (GND)

The connection is short (about 50 cm). What kind of cable should I choose? Ribbon cable or Cat5?

Regards,

The max lenght recommended is 10cm !!!

Are you sure that the MCLK is availble on the CD PRO2 ?

Serge

I launched my board. At the signal has not yet tested it, but it works, switch inputs, nothing explodes and blows ..
Thanks for the help with the photos.

Hi 730user.
Congratulation!!!

I have one question: was it difficult to solder AK4399 to the board?
I am asking for this because one AK4399 chip on my beloved Dac board sudently has died.:confused: and i must think what to do now. I am not sure that i will be able to replace the chip. I am very much interested which soldering station did you use and maybe some hints. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do not know what could cause death of the AK4399. I did not touch the board for 2 weeks, listening music every day.

LDVS cable

Something like this but removing the existing terminals and replace it with other terminals that fits.

Attachments

• LVDS cable.jpg
    LVDS cable.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 395
Hi 730user.
Congratulation!!!

I have one question: was it difficult to solder AK4399 to the board?
I am asking for this because one AK4399 chip on my beloved Dac board sudently has died.:confused: and i must think what to do now. I am not sure that hi will be able to replace the chip. I am very much interested which soldering station did you use and maybe some hints. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do not know what could cause death of the AK4399. I did not touch the board for 2 weeks, listening music every day.

Hi Valeri I soldered these AK4399 onto my pcb.
Watch lots of clips on YouTube about soldering first.
The main thing I would say is use a good flux and desoldering braid.
I found it easier to drag solder than use a hot air gun.

...In this manner, I think I have to lift the resistors from the PCB and connect the two corresponding resistors together. Am I right?...
Hi Sunsun22,
Yes, just make sure both DAC ICs get the same I2S connection.

Serge is right about the recommended length. But since your player has I2S out, maybe it's a variant of the interface, I don't know. Search the board, there must be something to read about long-distance I2S.

Valeri100: Strange, too bad man! Can you post us a picture of the board?

Hi Dave, hi Phase,
Thank you for inspiring me to change the chip and your advices. My first thought was to buy a new DAC.
Actually I am an experienced diy-er and spent hundreds of hours with soldering iron in hand when I was young, but at that time I have never soldered chips with such small pins. I will order the chip and will try solder it onto board.

Perhaps it was my mistake that I connected transformers to DAC outputs directly and not via resistors. 2 x 200 ohms resistors couldn't make big impact on bass performance.

Hi Sunsun22,
Yes, just make sure both DAC ICs get the same I2S connection.

Serge is right about the recommended length. But since your player has I2S out, maybe it's a variant of the interface, I don't know. Search the board, there must be something to read about long-distance I2S.

Valeri100: Strange, too bad man! Can you post us a picture of the board?

Hi Nino, which board? DAC or XMOS module?

Hi Valeri100
I just asked a picture, so maybe I could see a mistake somewhere on the DAC board to help you.

But now I know you are using transformers, maybe the DAC was loaded too much. The minimal load resistance is 1.5k, see datasheet. But since the DAC is used in mono mode, you have double outputs per channel (+R and +L). Total resistance to ground must therefore be min. 750R. But you better avoid connecting both outputs directly, because the DAC may become damaged when one of the + outputs has a different potential when switching on or during initialization, resulting in too much current flow inside the DAC. So I think it's better to connect the + outputs through resistors and from there to your load. Total resistance must be 750R or higher.

Nino, thank you very much for willing to help and detailed explanation.

The DAC was working for more than 2 months, almost every day. I did not make any modification on board and just soldered wires for connecting transformers directly to 11k resistors of analogue stage. The damage has happened during listening, approximately 15 minutes after turning it on. The last word of that channel sounded like "pssshick....". This evening I took that board out of pre-amlifier case and inspected it. there is no visible damages. I disconnected transformers, inserted OPAs and by changing OPAs between channels understood that the problem must be at A4399. I measured voltage on output of the OPAs and faulty channel showed + 0.8 V which is not normal. Tomorrow I will measure voltage on both outputs of AK4399 chip. I will make hi-res photo in the morning and post it.

Hi, Valeri100!
If, you, like me, have no experience in soldering of large circuits, it is better to entrust it to a more experienced people. Chip I soldered a friend who has more experience and better equipment. Better to turn to a place where repair cell phones and so on.

Check the power to work and burnt chip. Check the oscilloscope signal output from both chips before replacing it.

Last edited:
Hi 730user,
Thank you for the answer. In fact i had very big practice in soldering during 10 years but as i already mentioned i have never soldered such kind of chips. After watching of some youtube videos i become confident that i can do it if i get good flux.

Yes of course i will make good troubleshotting in order to be sure this component is out of order. I don't have osciloscope at home and will bring the Dac tomorrow to office where we have one.

@Nino. I made pictures and will upload it in the afternoon.

Best regards
Valeri

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.