Earthquake PHD2 seems to lower output???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wanted you to know i got the parts from digikey for the amp the fet's and the driver. Ive yet to order the 10 ohm resistors. I forgot to order them the same time. The price for those resistors were insane at a local shop i went to. Digikey is the bomb! Thank you for the referal.

Perry Babin said:
The only thing I'd use from NTE in a car amp is their resistors.

Your local radio shack may have the resistors. Buy extras and measure the resistance of each one to make sure it's within tolerance (±5%) before installing.
271-013

I wouldn't even do that, but only for more important agendas.. putting NTE out of business.

- Matt

ppia600 said:
I actually changed every power fet that was clamped to the sink back when I originally burned my amp from accidentally having the speaker short to the car chassis. They were all fairchild mosfets and even after changing them the amp wouldn't power up. The gate resistors were all ok too. Funny thing is I could have probably saved a lot of money just changing the 4080 instead of sending it to earthquake and having them repair it. They threw away all of the mosfets I painstakingly swapped and put all new in, lol. Problem is back when I tried to repair it I wasn't a member here, otherwise I would have tried changing the ic's. The part numbers are ground off both so couldn't change them. Oh well, have to learn somehow
:smash:

I learned a VERY long time ago with the 200DHC model that Earthquakes tech support is just A W E F U L..

After they sent mine back with a bill attached of $135.00 and it smoked the second I hooked power up to it! I called them to tell them what happened and the arrogant man on the other end of the phone (Abraham) claims they fully tested it before it left. When I asked if 'they ever made mistakes' he claimed 'we don't make mistakes'.

I hung up the phone on his and opened it myself. Bear in mind the only reason i didn't try and fix it myself is because they sandpapered half the numbers away on this models parts. I see not much has changed either. When I flipped the board over I found a gigantic blob of solder stuck across all three pins of one of the MOSFETS in the power supply. I pulled the blob and the FET it killed and it fired right up.

So much for not making mistakes, eh there Abraham? After it came back with a bunch of replaced parts a lot of the replacements had the part numbers left in tact. So that was the last time I would be needing to send it into those nitwits.

I'm not sure where your at on your particular amplifier, but I had an Ample monoblock that did what your describing after it was repaired. It would climb up the volume scale to a certain point and then fall back on itself in a way thats hard to describe. The trouble ended up being the pre-drive for the mosfets in the power supply. Thought the transistors tested good on a diode check, they would no longer perform to spec due to degradation from the previous failure. When the PS demanded more gate drive it simply leveled of at some point. You can take measurments under load to confirm this of course.

The pre-drive for your amplifier is that IC8 IIRC. I would start by replacing that myself.

Thats just my experience and my .02

- Matt

good evening Perry Babin, ive called Earthquake, they told me the lights are power, protection and clipping, they dont have support for that amp anymore, and it cost the company less to manufacture the "new breeds".
where do you think i can get another one of those amp to purchase or even a PHD3?

You can find them on ebay every now and then. The last one I saw the guy was starting the bidding at $350 and it was beat up. I bought mine from a guy for about the same price new in the box. I do wonder if the newer ones are built better or the same though. I have a phd2, would be cool to see what the phd3 could do. And yes, on the phd2 the lights are on top and near the end like Formas is mentioning. The manual was missing from my box so I just assumed green=power, yellow=clipping or low impedance and red=BAD, VERY BAD! lol

Here's a 5000watt rms version for cheap considering its capability
http://cgi.ebay.com/EARTHQUAKE-PH10...iers?hash=item2c50f8bcae&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I'd love one of these

Last edited:
Ive fixed my Earthquake!! the problem was the 4424 ic, that was what was causing the 6fets to blow each time, but i couldnt get the original P80NE06-10 fets ive used the IRF1010 (wich came up as a replacement under rigorous investigations) and ive still not changed the other 6 that was originally manufactured in the circuit, my amp is running my subs (two Kicker L7 in Solo-X boxes) as powerful as ever, and the good thing from May last year ive just managed to fixed it two weeks ago. thanx again to all you guys that shared experience and knowlege and gave me the ideas.
could you please tell me what IRF1010 FETS you usedas i see there is afew different types. thx

Hello Formas.
Noticed you were from jamaica. i have PHD2 powered up but im not getting anything at the output with four Fets (two on each side). i have all the original replacements parts and ive just purchased the 4080 ic....Pluged it in and nothing!!...need any help availiable..Thanks Guys!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.