• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Dx Super A and Dx Regulator Group Buy Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Thomas,

The power supply works just as advertized. Easily adjustable and very stable. I am actually using it to power an SKA GB150 as I needed to be able to dial in +/-52VDC for that amp from a 40-0-40VAC transformer. It works perfectly for that. The heatsinks don't even get warm so I am sure you don't need anywhere near what I put on mine.

I am uploading the BOM I have. You will want to check it against the schematic as there may be some changes (upgrades).

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• Dx Super A - revision march, 30, 2013 reference.jpg
    Dx Super A - revision march, 30, 2013 reference.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Dx Super A BOM.doc
    119 KB · Views: 88
Terry..... this kind of amplifier needs a preamplifier

as the gain is one, or less than that...so, you cannot enter with a CD player directly, it is a non complete audio amplifier that ask for a preamplifier in order to produce sound....so, i do think it is not 6 transistors.... if you complete the unit in order to receive standard Line out level, then you gonna have more than 6 transistors.

If you plug a line out from Satelite Receiver, Open Rell tape deck, DVD output, CD output or any line level, then your output power gonna be less than 200 miliwatts at 8 ohms.... that amplifier needs several volts of driving audio to put some power out.... in my personnal point of view, it is not a complete amplifier...it is just a driver and output stage.

I have assembled, just to listen and to test....this style of amplifier.... a couple of years ago.

regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos, we must be talking about two different amplifiers. The one I am talking about is the through hole VSSA. I actually hooked it up on the bench right next to the Super A. I used Y-connectors for the inputs and an A/B speaker switch. I fed them with a Memorex CDR Player that has a headphone jack and volume control. They have almost exactly the same output. Very close in sound signature as well. If you get some extra time, you might want to throw one together. Not many parts and surprisingly good sound.

Blessings, Terry

You are a patient man. Once I have the parts I can't wait to start stuffing them. I will be building the case for my Super A in the next couple of days. I will probably use a Mr Evil capacitor multiplier for the PSU. I am using the DX Supply for an SKA because it will run at 50V. I will be running the Super A at +/-38V.

Blessings, Terry

Hi Guys,

Well I finished the Super A. Been playing it most of the morning. Sounds very nice. I have it biased at 200mA per rail and the heatsinks are barely warm. I'm going to leave it there for a while and let everything burn in. I used a Mr Evil/PMI Cap Multiplier for the PSU as I am using the DX power supply for another amp that needs higher voltage. Using a 25-0-25vac Antek transformer and with a one volt drop for the regulator the rails are +/-38.4Vdc.

Here are some pics of the finished amp.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 230
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 209
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 201
  • open top looking in.jpg
    open top looking in.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 200
  • open looking at the back.jpg
    open looking at the back.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 195
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Yesterday I hooked up my scope and saw the thick trace just as you show in the video. I will remove C38 today and test again. Inthe other thread you suggest installing a resistor in its place. Is that for improved sound or stability?

Thanks, Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.