Dx HRII, High Resolution II - now a thread for this veteran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Because the scope dear Taj, i have found modifications to increase HRII stability

I see that it dislike 2.2uf in parallel with the load, and to work this way, say, facing capacitive loads, is a need or a target, because some speakers crossover/cables are very inductive, also very capacitive, there are some complexity in the load, speaker systems, passive crossovers, cables and speaker drivers.

I am working, and will continue today.

Will give another shot, another try in the Dx Blame ES, as i have perceived some interesting character into the sound, the HRII could almost match, but really, there is something very special about the Dx Blame ES (Blameless), is some kind of thing i call "body!", it is massive, the bass comes out free, nothing stucked.

I see, compared with the Dx Blame ES, now a days already unstable, the Dx HRII , sounded too much brigth (phase advance system by Sansui, those capacitors in paralell with the driver's stop resistance), also the HRII sounded a very little stucked, i found the bass propagation not so good.

My home is twisted, bent let's say, the way it was built result in 100 feet from my speaker to the last room, the service room, now a days empty...well, listening from this room, sitted there, i felt the Dx Blame ES bass more present.

Maybe this is the perceptive effect, when you have too much treble you think/feel that you have not bass enougth, also the opposite is real, this fool us, or fool me, a lot.

The HRII boards were made by Nordic and i gave him total freedom, i have pointed small things as to paint the resistance values together the silk screen.... i have never appreciated the board.... i would be much more happy watching a new board made for it.

We can call HRII - Next Generation, as in the diy no professional world we can have long and strange names for amplifiers.

I do love your designs, the boards you make, also the schematics you make.

The HRII distortion, measured using simulator, is also very low, 0.004% THD, but i can feel more distortion when playing compared to Dx Blame ES.

Yes, one thing is simulator result, other is real world testing, i think simulators are too much tollerant, real life is not!

regards,

Carlos

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Well, here's my recreation of the Nordic PCB. Please use at your own risk. It has not been tested. Follow all Nordic's original component values and BOM.

Let me know if you discover any mistakes, or anything that needs to be updated.

..Todd

Attachments

• DXHRII-PCB-TAJv1-components.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 240
  • DXHRII-PCB-TAJv1-copper.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 230
Here is the 55V version board layout

This was revised, and seems fine, but was not built, not tested real life.

Build it under your own risk, we would like to see someone testing for us.

Me and Todd, we are busy with other things to build it now.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• DXHRII-55V-pcb-copper.pdf
    47.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DXHRII-55V-pcb-layout.pdf
    66.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DXHRII-55-schematic.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 185
If you experience unstabilities using your HRII, them remove the red circle

parts, also increase the driver floating emitter resistance to 220 ohms.

I suggest you to listen your amplifier without the Phase advance system (Sansui), removing the 100n capacitors.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Unstabilities.gif
    Unstabilities.gif
    42.7 KB · Views: 402
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi All,

I just uploaded an updated version of the DX HRII Amplifier schematics. There were a few minor cosmetic issues that were annoying me. No "real" changes.

http://users.tpg.com.au/gerskine/dxamp/DX%20HRII%20Amplifier%20Green.pdf

Note: This schematic is the original Carlos "green" schematic not the Nordic modified version or the 55 volt version.

Hey Todd,

What do you think of the output from Eagle now? I think they have made some steps towards making the output more professional. Still not as good as your illustrator package but more than adequate.

regards

Greg, please write to me, i want to collect your email adress once again

I have lost several adresses last time i have cleaned the hard drive to install the Windows 7.

I want also to upload to your pages, next year, when ready of course, the Blame ES schematic, the BOM , Taj pcboard and instructions to adjust too.

Thank you as you have been keeping these pages for us.

I hope you are fine, you know what i mean.

A happy new year for you, health and happyness.

carlos.eugenio1951@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have lost several adresses last time i have cleaned the hard drive to install the Windows 7.

I want also to upload to your pages, next year, when ready of course, the Blame ES schematic, the BOM , Taj pcboard and instructions to adjust too.

Thank you as you have been keeping these pages for us.

I hope you are fine, you know what i mean.

A happy new year for you, health and happyness.

carlos.eugenio1951@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Left-click on my name, there is an option to send me an email but remember I am no good at answering email.

No problem about uploading the "new one", but let's do it this year not wait until 2011. :D

This amplifier was made several years ago, i cannot remember details

so, the ones wants to build, should read this thread and also the HDII group buy to have all informations needed.... i cannot .... i have forget and concentrated in more new schematics.

Here you have the HDII thread link....means HRII but Nordic have written the wrong tittle and was keep this way as people have memorized this way...so...HDII and HRII means the same amplifier.

All i have were posted in these threads...my personal files have anything more:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/108456-destroyer-x-amplifier-dx-hdii-version.html

regards,

Carlos

The best Dx amplifier is the Dx Blame ST, or the old ES if you prefere

I strongly suggest folks to build the Blame, as it has superior sonics and is much more simple to build.

This one had several boards, it is confused, i cannot remember, all i have are inside these threads.

The sittuation are so messy that Greg has a more modern version i have not in my files... also Todd Johnson made boards but i think they were not tested.

Well, it is up to you, dear friends, to build this one.... really sounds very good, but beated by the Dx Blame ST and very confused...at least to me, to find all the needed informations.

There are some board high resolution pictures inside the Dx amplifier thread (the giant one)...so.... a hard work to obtain all details about.

The board was made by Nordic (Nico Daneel), and the one have disappeared...we do not even know if the man is alive, so, some questions we should post to him will not have answer.... the schematic is the one Nordic made, because part numbers match the board silk screen....but, board have also component value to help to assemble.

I have it no more at my home....it is in Rio de Janeiro, at my daugther's home, i cannot watch the board to check things, so i will not be too much helpfull about this amplifier, i have not at my hands and also i have it not in my memory.

Do it under your risk.... long time has passed, i cannot remember...all i have are in these files posted.

regards,

Carlos

The board multiple versions and new style, reduced size silks screen versions is the

trouble.... too many options...part numbers that matches one schematic (green one) and does not match another schematic (Todd Johnson one). at least this is confused to me.

But the schematic is fine...if you prepare a board at your home, etching it, then you will be in the safe side....or a much less troubled side.

This one was so confused (board layout and different schematics) that we cannot find it copied..there's no copies to be sold in the internet.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I have found an old video from this amplifier

down 2007 i had not internet speed to upload this monster file..now a day i have the "any video converter" software to help me and faster internet speed.

Here is the link to the group buy.... that thread, the group buy was for HDII, a mistake in the name Nordic made..it is HRII:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/108456-destroyer-x-amplifier-dx-hdii-version.html

This amplifier has sonics that joins the Dx Amplifier (huge bass) and the Dx Blame (spectacular treble)..a very good amplifier

So, as soon i it will be uploaded, then i will post the link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8vp-tRs80

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
a few questions

I am about to apply power to a set of Nordic's boards for the HRII. Before I do that...

1. What is the voltage rating on the 47uF cap (C16 on the schematic on Greg's site)

2. Can someone help me find a post/link to start up procedures. I have searched the 3 or 4 HRII & Dx threads and have not had much luck. (Maybe I don't know well enough, how to use DIYaudio search tool) What I would like to know is: size of and expected voltage across initial protection resistors (those in place of fuses). Also, at one time, Nordic had a 'checklist' on his site. I am unable to find that particular page.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.