Dx Blame ST together Dx Super A

My Blame ST

It was built a few years ago, with PGA2311 volume control. Sonic is awesome and my friends were amazed by its smoothness and musicality.

Carlos,
Do you mean the optimum working is now found to be not +-42V? If +-25V is good for Super A, I am thinking of buliding two DX regulated supplies and use my recent 25VACx2 300VA transformer and regulate it to +-25V. Is the rating enough for the Super A?

Attachments

• 4717235704_6ecd62664b_o.jpg
    4717235704_6ecd62664b_o.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 587
You must make a search, i suppose i have posted something.

About 25V optimization...if not posted in the Dx Blame plus Super A thread, or even a dedicated thread....then you will find some comments in my youtube channel.

My youtube channel is easy to find.... just open one of my video links provided in this forum and then you will be able to go there and subscribe if you want.

I have not the tracking numbers of all posts.... i am not that clever.

Yes..... your ideas to use regulated 25V is a very good one...have just to match the speaker to this level of power to have good quality.... do not use high power specified speakers...use such kind of unit that goes full movement when you connect a 9 volt battery into the speaker terminals.

This amplifier, the optimized to 25V have some modification on it.

Zimmer told me you have ordered pcboards from Brasil, or have asked something about...i said him to help you.

regards,

Carlos

Zimmer, from Brazil, creating a Brazilian layout...for Brazilians

Will use this heatsink to face 5 watts.

You see that it will be good to 2 watts.... we gonna have 10 degrées celsius above the environment......here, this means 39 degrées celsius..and this is a very cool temperature.

Be aware of the need or 5 watt dissipation into the on board heatsinks...having not room, them install tall units.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Heatsinks to be used in Brasil.jpg
    Heatsinks to be used in Brasil.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 508
It is a tweaked Blameless from Doctor Self

This design, with very low THD, is unbeatable, you can turn the volume all the way up and even nearby the threshold of clipping the sound is awesome....due to low harmonics generated at this level of power...below 0.003% and 0.001% in most of the cases.

I have tweaked, some spice added on it, but real great guy is Doctor Self...i deserve to be recognized as someone made the rigth choice and worked hard to develop and to promote it....modifications made, but even this way you can see the Blameless frame on it.... the differential style, feeded by a CCS, the enhanced VAS style, also feeded by a CCS (mine ones, not always this way), the emitter follower output in a darlington style, the floating drivers resistor..the suckout capacitor ...well....there's something a little bit different..but you can see the skeleton is from Blameless...the spirit, the idea, is there.... i do think what i have learned from Aspen Amplifiers, from Doctor Hugh Dean, is what result in a so good sound.

Since very young (9 years old in 1960) i started to assemble audio amplifier, my passion, from magazine texts.... almost half of them, or even more, have exploded, have not operated, burned.....i could not figure out why, i have no know how to understand what was going on...i use to write (letters down the sixties) to the Magazine publishers, they used to snob me saying i had not the basic condition to understand....then i became very angry against engineers, and even today i feel the same way...do not say you are an engineer to me...this is a bad presentation to me...i have not healed, i feel angry imediatelly as i remember what happened...a lot of errors, some diagrams copied from US magazines from Engineers that where just copiers without any knowledge of amplifiers, people revising had also not knowledge to perceive a short or a missing connection.

Then i have decided to learn and to teach my people, and i did it, maybe half thousand already knows how to make basic designs using simplified ways that uses four basic operations and a couple of simple formulas, alike ohms law....now a days i can sniff a good amplifier just watching the schematic.

Because of that i have listened to almost all topologies published, created or designed, also some patent designs tested too.

At same time i used to buy amplifiers, to use them, to check them and to sell them to use the money applied to buy another one...so, all brands have stayed at my home for some time, and several models...this stuff i did when i was a little bit older and had money to do it.

When i found Blameless i found it awfull, stérile, sounding strange, something asseptical, cleaned, disinfected, something without spice, without salt, without character....then i abandoned..... some years latter i tried once again and applied to it some modifications as i have perceive the Blameless as a concept design, that should be modified, should be tuned, in a search of some "character", in the search of some harmonic distributions (ratio in between harmonics) that may be nice to hear..then i found it the best ever made..have beated all i had built....since that moment, in 2007, i became a Blameless addicted...only blameless style is good to me.

Uncle Charlie, or Grandfather Charlie, is now 63 years old, 54 years dedicated to audio...i have learned something, not everything, i use to assemble other amplifiers, new ideas, to see if i can learn something from them...at this moment, i do understand all others are loosers, exception the Blameless designs.

54 years represents almost 20 thousand days...so, you see that 5000 units assembled is very possible, as represents that i have built only one unit each day (not reality, i have built more than one) and that i have assembled only one quarter of my living days (also not possible, i use to make it every day).... i cannot calculate precisely, but for sure i have assemble several thousands..... 5000 units is very possible.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Lovely...just lovely!

Excelent...i will buy a Nokia E63...for sure i will do it.... very nice recording....i could recognize the amplifiers sound signature...... great!...i thank you very much....just let me know...the video cannot be better than that?... is it the best video quality...audio is nice...video could be better.

Thank you very much.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Image 1548.jpg
    Image 1548.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 551
i use c5200 too. 5% resistor and mylar. yet still good to my ears. you should buy big heatshink put 2 pair and set bias to 230mv. you gonna shock with the result. i have compare it with the alesis mk ii that use m-audio as a souncard. and i still love super a. for best result you should buy or built t.line box. for me... thats the most amazing vocal ever produce even from cheap speaker. goodluck

I do not know why...i am suspicious about transistor linearity

Because using the ones i love...BC546/556 and BD139/140...and i found the old 2N3055 and 2N2955 perfect for this amplifier.

Sounded better...for sure sounded better than all units i have made...there's no special pcboard made for it... if quantity of people interested is reasonable you can ask Juan Vargas to produce...but he must be sure he will have some guys to purchase because other way he will have to eat pcboards not sold.

Well, pirates loves me while i hate them.... check Ebay.... it is possible you may find a pcboard there... very possible...i do not know...i am not visiting Ebay not to be p-----

I have it playing...maybe because we can use it into the threshold of clipping, and it is exactly in that level it plays lower distortion.... i do not know.... really i could not figure out why.... i have hipotesis only... something not proved.

The best from the best, the cream of the cream is really that unit...good to use simple and weak speakers, high efficiency units to pump full power...that is not that big....we can go to 30V maximum to keep the "magic" alive.

Bagus, my dear friend, was very hard to find the Nokia N8...i was researching the WEB to find something able to make good audio recording to music...if found anything that fit my need.... well, i found, but i would have trouble to pay so expensive the unit was.... then i started to listen videos...i found this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUbMyQl2qY

Impressive.... i said to myself.... this one!

Then i have studied a little bit more this subject, i have discovered that inside Nokia we have an engineer that has passion for Rock live shows...he could not make good recordings..then he sold the idea to Nokia, he convinced people to produce a better audio system based into two microphones, one hard to move to high pressure of sound and another soft, to low level, something that can saturate easy..... then a microprocessor switch one and other on and off.... this way (simple way to describe) he made a nice audio recording system able to face 100 decibels of sound pressure, also able to capture very low levels..... he increased signal to noise ratio to 86 dB.... also crosstalk was increased from 76 to 85 i think (not sure).

Well... real numbers...not advertisement numbers that use to say 120 dB or something lunatic this way.

This system was applied in some Nokia cell phones...i am not sure about the N8, but i am sure this was applied into the 808 rich sound.

I started to find it to buy... in Brazilian Ebay was costing 450 USD for an old cell phone.... scratched stuff.... the ones had the unit aaid no to sell it to me, say.... friends, people in the street, inside buses...i was asking everyone if would sell the unit to me...if a guy was using it then i was there asking the one to sell me the unit...finally i have travelled 50 miles to see someone that have the Nokia N8 to watch videos (screen resolution, amoled display is fine).... i tried a lot to buy his unit.... he said do not need money....he love to watch movies with the unit in over his belly (bigger than mine his belly)... then i offered to him a HP notebook, something special, dual core, huge memory and brand new (not scratched)...only the battery was not fine...then i could have the Nokia N8....i am happy with it.... was the solution to make good audio recording for a low price.

Nokia 808 rich recording....this one people just said to me "no way to sell it"... 808 PureView is pure gold...can reach 110 dB without saturation while recording live performance!

More than that!...the guy is a brother...he is audio fanatic like us!

Will offer to him..for free... a Dx Super A 25V unit...then two marvellous stuff will be joined together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6s7FaybwSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9HRcTNd7c8

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Nokia 808 Pureview microphone.jpg
    Nokia 808 Pureview microphone.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
i use c5200 too. 5% resistor and mylar. yet still good to my ears. you should buy big heatshink put 2 pair and set bias to 230mv. you gonna shock with the result. i have compare it with the alesis mk ii that use m-audio as a souncard. and i still love super a. for best result you should buy or built t.line box. for me... thats the most amazing vocal ever produce even from cheap speaker. goodluck

As my supply is still 10000uF per rail simple C filtering one, I won't go high bias for super A feature until I upgrade the transformer and regulated supply. The vocal is still nice with this setting with my TAD 300.

Cheers
Hajame

Attachments

• 4672774207_2643c5d8a9_z.jpg
    4672774207_2643c5d8a9_z.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 472