Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems the 1K is there.

I do think so.

Maybe not....i am becoming very old...sometimes i miss something.

It is there to be in the safe side... in almost all modern DIY amplifiers....the new ones, not published are using a very different approach.

My own amplifier, home units, do not use the 1K in the VAS, i have used another trick...but it is not safe, my own stuff my own decisions.....DIY is another story, i have to produce safe units...even if this produces some small losses in sonics.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• piu-piu-e-frajola-2.jpg
    piu-piu-e-frajola-2.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 396
- Not too good (1K - below 1) , you might not burn the transistor ... but
your tweeters will hate you. :D
Amp will actually become slighty unstable for the tiny time that the transistor
saturates (overloads).

-better (and cheap - below 2) the reverse diode across the 100p capacitor.
Makes the problem MUCH better , but it is not perfect. If you do not
overload ... the diode will seem like it is not there (with a good diode).
This is on a lot of amps - tested at .0005% distortion.

- Self shows a transistor clamp ( a third transistor - below 3)

This works so well I use it on my biggest "blame" sub amp , approved
by Self - can't go wrong. My blame ... you can use the diode or the "clamp".
All this has been seen on real hard working BIG amps - really works !
OS

Attachments

• 1k saturation.jpg
    1k saturation.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 372
  • diode saturation.jpg
    diode saturation.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 372
  • best clamp.jpg
    best clamp.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 382
Thank you, you suggestion was posted

Then people can decide if they want to use it or not.

I have tried this approach, a long time ago, in the Dx Precision 1...if i remember i told people to deactivate that transistor.

Here you have the Precision 1 amplifier.....this one was made a long time ago and i do think you have not watched...maybe you were a teenager on those old days.... i have said to people the circuit was safe, but sound was better without that transistor you mentioned...this is in Self Book since those old days.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Schematic Precision 1.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Until that transistor is turned on by a VAS overload , only it's leakage would
affect the amps "sound" or performance.

A real good BCxxx device would "not be there" until you overloaded.
Same as a real good diode (low leakage). Until they turn on , a good
one sits alone - does nothing.

Hot humid jungle air would have more effect on amp sound. Or "dirty power"
out of the wall.
Maybe 1 or 2 parts per million .... but only aliens could hear that. :D

Carlos , I'm 51 ... june 11 . teenager - I wish !
OS

Ahahahahahah!..... i am preparing another bad stuff as you have mentioned one

Not only this stage you show me, but this new one, the hell tone control, is even worse for sonics.

Brazilian audiophiles are asking tone control....can you believe that?

Well, i told them this is no good....but they want anyway and want to pay a lot for tone controls made by me (the one hate tone controls!...this does not make any sense to me)

Well, i did it...and protesting if they gonna use together my stuff.

From time to time we are forced to accept some approaches due to people asking by that.... this protective transistor was one of this kind of things.... Andrew T asked that, he said was good...i tested and said no good...but he startet to say gonna smoke..then i decide to put to people to decide to use or not to use...i am glad they have not used and have not smoked.

Regards old man...i have age to be your father Ostry.... down here the link of a video...a distorted one (well, tone controls do that when you ask amplifier already in the limit to increase 14 decibels in the bass)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E5wizuOuQY

As you appreciate me a lot, here is a picture...then when you miss me you can see Uncle Charlie

Carlos

Attachments

• ME me.jpg
    ME me.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Dear Uncle Charlie,

I have to thank you, in my name and also in the name of the whole DIYA community, for your unremitting, contagious enthousiasm: at last I found the time, energy and parts to retrieve my Blames ST amps and get them to work! :cheers: :Olympic:

Thanks also to Rudi and Metal for the beautiful red PCBs. :hbeat:

I am using the 2N5551 as Q6 and MJE15028/31 as drivers, they produce very clear and detailed sound, :lickface: though I am still using test speakers...when my fear of failure is over I will reduce the protective R on emiter of Q7. :(
Output DC=1.2mV. :cool:

Greetings from Chile.
M.

Dear Max.... a big hug to you my dear friend.

I am working into the DxS dear Max.

Today i have inserted my home made T line speaker inside my closed in between my pants and shirts.... i have instaled with silver tape a Sony Voice Recorder (losses below 75 hertz) 40 centimeters distant from the speaker...1 watt of power...this was my "DIY home made acoustic chamber"...after several try and error i have made a good recording...saturation in treble is due to my dome tweeter, a brazilian silk dome unit....the bass is loosen because the T line was not correctly tuned, i made a mistake in the calculation, also i forgot the damping material inside.

Well... resulted fine Max...this gonna be produce and sold in Brazil and in Mercosul that includes your country (I hope)

Listen with nice speakers and nice amplifiers...this sound deserves your attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irgcHbK6YQc

About the thanks...you are really welcome dear Max:):):):):):)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• P1040434.jpg
    P1040434.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Black wire, the intruder.jpg
    Black wire, the intruder.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 20150125_145036 (1).jpg
    20150125_145036 (1).jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Thank you Ostry

Supply is from Ampex ... from open reel Video Tape recorders down the seventies.... i have just re calculated to my opeational voltage and current...anything more than that.

Amplifier has a lot of secrets... that one i can call mine as no one used the tips and tricks i have used...so top secret this new version (MKII) that i will not publish nor provide schematic to anyone.... will release assembled and tested..people will run transformer cables, input, output only.

People will buy in Brazil in very small amounts.... 5 years total warranty against everything.

Recording i made is not good...it is 6/10 ...but real stuff, live performance is 10/10... this one sent a lot of shame into my old amplifiers...have killed them all.

I will not provide outside Brazil unless Juan decide by himself to produce..so, do not fear.... your units will not be compared...i want to spare you from this frustration....ahahahahaha!:D a Muttley laugh to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_wP7E3P_Js

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 499
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I am working into the DxS dear Max.

Today i have inserted my home made T line speaker inside my closed in between my pants and shirts.... i have instaled with silver tape a Sony Voice Recorder (losses below 75 hertz) 40 centimeters distant from the speaker...1 watt of power...this was my "DIY home made acoustic chamber"...after several try and error i have made a good recording...saturation in treble is due to my dome tweeter, a brazilian silk dome unit....the bass is loosen because the T line was not correctly tuned, i made a mistake in the calculation, also i forgot the damping material inside.

Well... resulted fine Max...this gonna be produce and sold in Brazil and in Mercosul that includes your country (I hope)

Listen with nice speakers and nice amplifiers...this sound deserves your attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irgcHbK6YQc

About the thanks...you are really welcome dear Max:):):):):):)

regards,

Carlos

Great news, dear Carlinhos. :) I wish you luck and complete success with your project.
Please keep posting videos about DxS' sonics, especially difficult music, like Classical, strings, percussion...
Everybody is posting "Girl and guitar" music there, or Jazz, on which any amp will sound decent.

My "new" Blame ST is being fed with a diet of Brazilian music :D , Vinicius, Joao Gilberto, Caetano Veloso...etc...what strikes most is the definition of the instruments's textures and timbres. The bass is full, which is a good surprise.
I continue burn-in.

Meu parabéns,
M.

Thank you Max, muchas gracias e muito obrigado

I am glad to know you appreciate Blame ST

I will search these song style you want to use for testing purposes... trouble is copyrigth...you know, i have a song...mine one...and Youtube says i cannot use
$&%&&#*%

My father song (passed away a long time ago)..now a days i am the owner of all rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hseQe_EznY

Picture direct from "Banana Republic"

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 2014-09-07 09.09.44.jpg
    2014-09-07 09.09.44.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
But two go beyond D. Self's teachings. "Bigger fish" figured out how to even
better Self. He himself was amazed by Edmond Stuarts "TMC" compensation.

Badger and wolverine have this "magic" (below).

Two caps , one from the output through a resistor (1.5K) , one a normal miller(from VAS).
390p + 82p is like a single 68p miller in series.
But , feedback from the output lowers the 10k -20K THD to 1/3.
Does a little "Super A" , as well ... crossover glitch is also fed back to VAS - cancels out bad harmonics.
A normal blame is really 10-15ppm (.0015%) , a TMC blame is 3-5ppm -.0003%
at 20K full power.
It works very well , Carlos - tested in the real world.

OS

Attachments

• TMC.jpg
    TMC.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 470
Already tried Ostripper

Also from the VAS colector to Q5 base....i imagine i have tried almost all possibilities, as this is what i love to do.

Thank you anyway...very kind from you to try to help.

I already have circuits that goes down to 0.0002% THD in the simulator...we know that in real life things are a little bit different............

I have tried a lot of compensation ideas, from all books i have and from all possibilities we can imagine...i have used inductors, ferrite beads, series resistor, several small capacitors from VAS to almost all circuit points.....all that simulated and tried real life inspecting in the waveform monitor.

A variation from Hugh Dean style was the one worked the best and this is what i am using now...but this is top secret...sorry, this is not to share in public forum otherwise we gonna see in Ebay and Chinese manufacturers willl apply our ideas...totally for free and laughing about us, and some of them use to say:

- "If you face troubles, then search Carlos or Ostripper in the diyaudio forum"

So, despite i feel your good intentions, sensed here clearly, i will not feed such conversation..sorry Ostripper.

Pirates can read all books we have...they also can test in try and error basis...they can check in the scope display and they can listen...also to judge blind to A to B comparison...they can call people to help them to listen and evaluate....let them make the whole job instead to be stealing ideas from us... we have already pointed to them the best possible ideas and the best wide world ever made audio amplifier (Blameless concept)...this is enough.

This forum, the best we have in the planet, despite wonderful to cooperate to our comunitty, is also a DISPLAY, alike a shop, for them to copy our work, without say thanks or at least to send us one sample for us to check if they are doing it fine or messing with all our work with bad pcboard design, wrong placement of parts or mistaken selection of components.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Help assemble Dx Super A e Supply DX

Hello
Carlos Mergulhao

William Domingues am here in Brazil.

I would like to help.

I assembled a board Dx Super A and DX Source and I'm having the following problems,

In DX source I not regular comsigo the positive intention in Trimpot, the voltage at the output of trimpot to regulate but not low on the positive side.
* In the source I am using Tip 36 / 35c and 41/42 Tip.

On board Super A, I can not regulate Off Set, raise the fuses and the upside of 42.5 mv and mv Another of 0:00 and also this rather heating transistors 2sc5200 and 2sa1943.

Another thing the audio output can go out type 26 volts?
because when I turn on the amplifier but the sound comes from one voltage drop at the source, the very warm 5200 and when I messo the output is giving 26volts.

Help me if you can.

thankful

Willian

Dear Carlos,

My DX Blame ST is running for weeks now and it is totally stable even with a crappy small linear PS :)

Great sounding amp, very relaxed, detailed and extended.

A couple of small questions, for future builts, if you please:
1) "Boot-strap" cap is 47uF/100V. Can we use two (2) back-to-back, good quality 100uF/50V caps, to make a non-polar 50uF/100V capacitor?

2) Initially, I used 38mA as bias, then increased to 48mA...honestly, I did not detecte changes. What is the designer's recommendation about bias?

I hope you, or others, remember. :D
It has been a long way...

Best wishes,
M.
(Campeao, at last :eek: )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.