Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
smart,for dx blame st, can i parellel output amp to get double power like gainclone lm3886?
no, the paralleled 3886 can and does give problems if not built accurately.
Your DX st will be less well matched than a pair of 3886.

If you want you can try adding an extra pair of output devices.
But these need to be matched NPN to NPN and PNP to PNP before you build up the single output version.

Adding extra devices does not actually change the power output. Changing the load impedance an/or changing the PSU voltage changes the power output.

one can use 5200 instead of 4281 but one must accept the limitations of the 5200 and not ask it to do the impossible.
low voltage supply and 4ohm speaker load should be OK.
medium voltage supply and 8ohm speaker load should be OK.
high voltage supply for 5200 is asking for unreliability.

Have you looked at the datasheets for your devices, not just the outputs?

Yes, no problems with music, because music is average in power

But avoid to push the amplifier to the limits for long time with constant signal (generator, organ, microphonic sounds) and similar sources of continuous tones into full power.

If your music style is constant, and if you use to push your amplifiers into the limits, or even appreciate to drive it to distortions, then you should use the transistors pointed as ideal.

The difference is that you may be able to destroy if you decide to do it using 2SC5200 and 2SA1943, when with the units pointed the amplifier will be much more safe..... keep it cool, use good heatsinks, big sized ones or use fan blower to help you.

These things are always a compromise...if you want or need to use 2SC5200 and may push the amplifier to the limits, or even above (clipping), then it is better to install another extra pair of power transistors.

Was made this way to be economic, to save space and to save your money, but you cannot make too much excesses with it.... a 4 ohms speaker that may have some impedance valleys when impedance fall beyong 4 ohms can kill this amplifier if you force it above the distortion threshold.... say, if you drive it with square wave, with several volts in the input and for too much long time while using undersized heatsinks....well.... it can be destroyed..for sure it is not an undestructable amplifier.

So, you decide to be in the safe side or not... safest side is using the original suggested transistors and not using speakers with impedance that fall below 4 ohms...and sadly, some of them are this way...so.... use 8 ohms with your 2SC5200....it will be better.

With as single pair, mine other amplifiers are able to put out 100 watts continuously, unclipped signal, over 4 ohms loads..... so, it is not too much strange 2 pairs facing 200 watts, as this is a very simple calculation and does not surpasses the limits, or they would burn during my tests..and they did not have burned.

I have other amplifiers that can face strange loads and survive.... Troyan is an example, also the DHR Turbo.... and both of them have threads in this same forum.... also there are others too, from Quase and some others that are not too much different in performance.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
More Dx Blame ST builders

Here is another one.

Some pictures attached and a video too:

YouTube - back loaded horn

In this video he is not using the Blames....they are under construction..he is showing his speaker only....soon you gonna have Blame playing and then you will be able to compare... if recorded using same camera and same music it will be possible to compare.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• DSC02780.jpg
    DSC02780.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC02790.jpg
    DSC02790.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC02690.jpg
    DSC02690.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Here is a couple of oscillascope readings of my Blame ST at near clipping and also at clipping. Using 100w 7.5ohm resistor as a load. It had 21.7v ac rms just before clipping so therefore 63w at 7.5ohm load.

Regards

Niss_man

Attachments

• ST clip.jpg
    ST clip.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 464
  • ST no CLip.jpg
    ST no CLip.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 423
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
mr carlos. In my town, 2sc5200 is cheap and useful for me to build a DIY amp. How can I modified DX Blame ST if I want to add more power output and increase power supply voltage to get more wattage output (around 200-300W), or is there any other way or circuit for me to do it?

For DX Blame SuperCharged, I hesitated to change MJL to 2sc5200 power output, should it won't give me unsatisfactory result. How can I do it without defecting the quality of the sound produced?

Thank you dear Niss-man...nice scope images

Adjusting rail resistances you can have a more symetrical clipping, but, as you know, some assymetrical clipping produces and interesting effect that some folks appreciates.

Mamak...the modified Dx Blame ST version is the Dx Blame Supercharged...so, you already have the model you need.

If you want to use 2SC5200, then try another extra pair of power transistors..do not forget to use an emitter resistance to each transistor and also the base stopper resistance.

I am not producing custom designs anymore...if you need/want more power, then i suggest you to search for the Troyan the DHR Turbo or other good power amplifiers offered in this forum...try Mongrel, try Quasi or some Rodd Elliot designs. (ESP pages are very popular)

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.