Dual 8" tapped horn = TH-SPUD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I use this Hornresp Value for Sim another Driver?

Danley sound labs is introducing a new tapped horn called
TH-SPUD

I think this is an interesting concept and so I tried to model a diy version.

I'm thinking of using two B&C 8NDL51 drivers. They have a 7 mm xmax which I think should be enough for my small living room.

Planned layout +/- 120 x120 x 25cm:

hornfolding.jpg

Respons graph in Akabak with quarter wave resonating tube at 65Hz and 60Hz low pass:

respons.jpg

Hornresponse input:

hornresp.jpg

So what do you think? Will it work? Any design faults?

For Spud Diy Can I use this Hornresp Value for Sim another Driver?

Attachments

• daytoncompare_SPL.png
    daytoncompare_SPL.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 774
The reference line sub has a bigger voice coil, handles more power - power compression will be less. It also has more xmax and a more stiffer cone. Also it has demodulation rings to reduce Le and Flux and give a better behaviour when working at the xmax border. It has a cast frame which is more stable and all of the materials are of higher quality than the low-cost dayton.

It looks good enough, but please note that the HR alignment is not the same as the physical layout shown, but the OP's simplified version of it that is shown in the build pictures.

GM

"HR alignment" what does it mean?

"OP's what does it mean?
so sorry I really don't know what does it mean.

Now I decide to start this project but not sure about driver to use with this TH-spud between TangBang and Dayton . any suggestion?

Thank

Hi Y'all,

Here is my attempt at it. I had to find a place and size (very slightly reduced) for S3 that would approximate the expansion of the horn. There will still be small errors between the Hornresp horn shape and the actual horn. You can play around w/ the flare to see how much difference it makes (Con v. Exp v. Par).

Regards,

Attachments

• Spud_2x8.txt
    994 bytes · Views: 165
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.