Dual 8" tapped horn = TH-SPUD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How is the consensus about the "leaked" SPUD plans and geitmans implementation of it, are they the real SPUD design or just someones guess? I am curious since i would love to hear a real danley design for a change. Geitmans measured response seems to be different from the SPUD response, which makes me think it could be not the real thing.

They are the real plans from DSL. Here is where they came from: Danley Sound Labs THSPUD - Audioholics Home Theater Forums

Here is a real SPUD graph (outside) from I Beaver:
THSPUD.jpg

The amount of stuffing is the main factor here. Checkout the difference in post 51 to 84, and the ones before them. Play with it in AkAbak, and you can approximate them all.

Last edited:
For me, there is no pic in post 30. Luckily, i saved the pics months ago, when they were published. :)

Hi There: I just called-up Post #30, the dimensioned drawing is still there. If I recall notes posted several months ago, there are two preliminary dimensions on the drawing, so be sure to make your own scale drawing to determin how to resolve the difference prior to cutting timber. ... regards, Michael

tower version

I'd like to construct a TH-Spud in a tower format. i.e one fold and tall. Could someone who has*experience*with these beasts help me work out the dimensions? It seems that all the dimensions are very critical and I'm unsure how to calculate the opening at the bottom (this will be on the long side).

I'm intending to use 2 Tang Band*W8-740P.

thanks in advance!

I thought I'd try my luck here to find any directions for the DTS-10 plans. Do they even sell just the plans? And this build is pretty Awesome. Going back to post #30, how many revisions of those plans are there and what drivers are being used?
No, DSL do not sell the plans and the drivers are a proprietary design.

This thread is about the Spud, a different design to the DTS10.

is the TH-SPUD also suitable to use single with the speakers connected on stereo channel? I saw something like that with ds-10 under 250 hz it is just mono.
one speaker per channel, one fase switched.

But on the other hand two of them can carry a coutch.

I will use them with a fostex box it is a horn to cover the bas under the 40 hz cutoff with the fostex.

I've never seen a DTS used with monoing done acoustically. I'd rather do it electrically and drive both drivers with the same signal in case there is some out of phase information between channels.

thanks, I will build two, I can fit them under the couch so my WAF wil be pleased.

First I have to build the designed tube-mosfet amp, 400 watts each channel dc coupled with EL84 driver tubes or the EV81, test works now fine for over two years.

i know this thread is abit old now and there are probably better tapped horn designs out there, however i cannot find them, i curently have a single 12"eminence definimax horn that i tuned to 25hz (i was a noob, this sub is nice but the lower tuning runs out of xmax fairly fast below 30hz)

this thing is large enouth to be buried in, and quite a issue when moving house.

i now after half a year or working at a kitchen porter, have a house with a usable work area, i am interested in building a pair of these horns, i heard alot about leaked plans, but can only find these, (from two previous posts)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

are these accurate? or did you make any modiforcations?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.