DSP Xover project (part 2)

Rather than a separate expansion board, how about daisy chaining another najda?

Yes, we can look at it.

It would be nice if it is possible to turn off [ASRC]. We can use I2S output with external clock in the future, but once the mentioned feature is active, the signal is degraded accordingly in digital domain before processing.
I believe it is may be justified in case of bad signal quality (high level of jitter), but it is better to avoid to use this function in the rest of the cases.
In case it is a question of supported sample rates by the used processor, again, it may be more flexible to set up the needed sample rate using PC resources.

The current clocking strategy is master clock generated onboard and all external signals sample-rate-converted.
A next release will include the option of using an external clock instead, and bypass the ASRC.
Whether this is going to be beneficial for SQ is another topic :)

I tried this IR-Receiver: OS-OPTO OS-0038N > Datasheet
Because it is so easy to install as an LED. It's the last one in the row of LEDs. But it does not work.
Any chance to make it work?
The Vishay's work. But are much more complicated to install.

Hi Bruno,

First of all, that's a very nice case you have here ;) Do you mind posting more pics?

I had a look at the datasheet and can't see why the receiver wouldn't work with Najda. It's 5V and NEC-compatible (i.e. good for 38 kHz), so it should be fine.

Only thing I can suggest is:
- Try to get another sample. Maybe this one is just DOA. I remember Steve got a dead IR module.
- If you have a scope, you can look at the output pin of the receiver and see whether the module is actually working. There should be 38 kHz pulses 0V/5V when you press a button on the remote controller.

Hey look, i'm quoting myself :) I realised that the 4 channel external volume control could actually be useful in a couple of cases - certainly the HT application of jiri but also in case we need to reduce the level on a 'hot' analog source before passing to the ADC. My phono stage is borderline too loud for the ADC and I'm sure there are other cases when people will need to adjust the level of inputs.

In other news, a photo of my prototype! I'm using a (DIY) linear power supply from JLM Audio and oversized toroidal from Tortech. Both Australian companies and I'd happily recommend this PSU to anyone who wants to run a linear - the JLM (either power station or better kraftwerk) PSU is designed for microphone pre's, so it should be quiet, gives 5 rails (3 +pve, 2-ve) and voltage is set via a trimpots - I'll be using the remaining rails for other random junk that'll appear in the box with my Nadja.

Hey, good to see the work in progress! ;)
Nice PSU! and I concur: Tortech has good stuff at a fair price, I used a pair of their toroidals in an amp project and was very happy.

1. Allow enabling/disabling processing channels in order to save resources when the user needs less than 10 outputs.

2. Channel pairing/linking: what you change for one channel will also affect the paired channel.

3. New setup: FIR/IIR mix.

4. Allow renaming of sources (LCD).

6. Decimation in FIR.

10. Check what's going on with Bass/Treble (clip led and phase)

in that order.
I also would prefer to use OLEDS....

Support for OLEDS...

ps. All working well I will post case pictures soon...

Peter

I've been planning my build and decided I really want to use a Twisted Pear Buffalo III (DAC) in 8ch mode together with my Nadja. The main problem is I'll lose the onboard volume control which is one of the really attractive features on the Nadja.

So... I was wondering whether anyone knows enough about the signal path through the Nadja to know of a point I could lift a leg of a component, pull an opamp or similar to break the output from the onboard DAC and insert the output of the Buffalo just before the Nadja's volume control. This would allow me to use the Buffalo together with the Nadja's volume chip.

Any ideas?

I've been planning my build and decided I really want to use a Twisted Pear Buffalo III (DAC) in 8ch mode together with my Nadja. The main problem is I'll lose the onboard volume control which is one of the really attractive features on the Nadja.

So... I was wondering whether anyone knows enough about the signal path through the Nadja to know of a point I could lift a leg of a component, pull an opamp or similar to break the output from the onboard DAC and insert the output of the Buffalo just before the Nadja's volume control. This would allow me to use the Buffalo together with the Nadja's volume chip.

Any ideas?

So if I'm reading this rigth you are going to use either the Najda whole
audiosection, or just the volumechip as an output buffer ?
If that's the case I would skip the Buffalo all together.
The onboard volumecontrol of the Buffalo is actually really good but
there is still need for some sort of buffer so......:cool:

Alright, here's the list of upgrades that I have in my notes.

1. Allow enabling/disabling processing channels in order to save resources when the user needs less than 10 outputs.

2. Channel pairing/linking: what you change for one channel will also affect the paired channel.

3. New setup: FIR/IIR mix.

4. Allow renaming of sources (LCD).

5. Implement support for expansion board.

6. Decimation in FIR.

7. Support for external master clock.

8. Keyboard shortcuts for volume change when connected.

9. Include input response in output graph.

10. Check what's going on with Bass/Treble (clip led and phase)

All the list is a must do. However, I would prioritize every functions that increase processing power and improve SQ, thus allow better filtering, which is the aim, vs the ones that add confort.

This is, if I am not mistaken : 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10

BR
Jean-Louis

The 22uF caps in front of the OPs are coupling caps: one pin connects to the volume chip and the other pin connects to the output buffer. Remove that cap and insert your signal here. The good news is that the change is easily reverted.
Thanks! That's exactly what I'll be doing.

So if I'm reading this rigth you are going to use either the Najda whole
audiosection, or just the volumechip as an output buffer ?
I'm planning to use the Buffalo + 4x Ivy III I/Vs. Take the unbalanced output of the Ivys and pump that back into the volume control on the Nadja. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I need to buffer the output of Buffalo + Ivy.

Thanks! That's exactly what I'll be doing.

I'm planning to use the Buffalo + 4x Ivy III I/Vs. Take the unbalanced output of the Ivys and pump that back into the volume control on the Nadja. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I need to buffer the output of Buffalo + Ivy.

Ok I thougth there was no IVY's involved. I belive that there was a question earlier on a solution to remote control the volume of an external dac over the expansion ports. I'm not sure how that panned out but it would leave you with two different options for remote controled volume.
I'm running three Buffalos myself and I'm really satisfied with the built in volumecontrol of them.

Best regards. Bengt :)

My plan is also to use my BIII with IVY's (or alike) in combination with Najda. One reason is that I need balanced out for my power amps (long cables!). I've been experimenting with adding another controller board based on a pic processor for controlling both Najda and the volume on BIII (over I2C). Controlling Najda is however very crude - the pic is "pushing" the buttons by pulling the key button lines to DGND (it would of course be much neater to communicate with Najda over I2C also).

The solution above however makes it possible, apart from volume control on BIII, to use a rotary encoder for input (which I really like) and OLED display (which I also really like). I'll probably use this setup until Najda supports OLED and volume control for BIII.

Best regards,
Mattias

No. Najda supports three 38 kHz protocols (NEC, JVC, Apple). Philips RC5/RC6 is 36 kHz and would actually require a different IR sensor in order to work optimally.

I had IR TSOP34338SS1F what had carrier 38 kHz and had in datasheet note "Recommended for RC5/RC6 code - Yes". So question is if IR is supporting RC5/RC6 code and had carrier 38 kHz, did Najda then support RC5/RC6 code or can support it in future?

Last edited:
No. Najda supports three 38 kHz protocols (NEC, JVC, Apple). Philips RC5/RC6 is 36 kHz and would actually require a different IR sensor in order to work optimally.

I recently stumbled across an IR receiver that that covers 30kHz to 50kHz (as opposed to fixed frequency). Is this something you can accommodate? I don't have the part number at hand right now, but I can get it later.

I recently stumbled across an IR receiver that that covers 30kHz to 50kHz (as opposed to fixed frequency). Is this something you can accommodate? I don't have the part number at hand right now, but I can get it later.

Yes you can get a sensor which covers a large band. But what probably happens then is that rejection of interference is also weaker.

I had also universal remote, but I had no information what device must I define for it to get it sending NEC, JVC or Apple protocol?

NEC is the most common protocol. I suggest you select that one in Najda and go through the devices on your universal remote, until Najda says that it has recognized something. It shouldn't take too long as many devices use NEC.

I'm slowling reading the entire thread, I'm interested in Najda.
Before I read all post I wish to ask if the following are true:

- I can use the board as a digital crossover. I.e. feeding stereo input as digital spdif or optical and then apply filter/eq to obtain 2 or more way splitted signals.

- I can use analogue inputs to connect, for example, a turntable and then apply filters to equalize.

- I can NOT send multichannel digital signals to the board. I. e. 4 channels as one would do if he already has the stereo splitted in two Low/Hi couple signals

I hope my english is not too bad.

Thank you.

[...] I wish to ask if the following are true:

- I can use the board as a digital crossover. I.e. feeding stereo input as digital spdif or optical and then apply filter/eq to obtain 2 or more way splitted signals.
That's correct. You can also feed in I2S (fits nicely USB/I2S converter).

- I can use analogue inputs to connect, for example, a turntable and then apply filters to equalize.

That's correct.

- I can NOT send multichannel digital signals to the board. I. e. 4 channels as one would do if he already has the stereo splitted in two Low/Hi couple signals
That's correct too, at least for now. The I2S expansion port has hardware support for multichannel input though, but in firmware it's stereo only for now.

I hope my english is not too bad.
I'd say it's great - but i'm not a native speaker myself either ;)