Dropped another Bose-Bomb!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bose 501

hi.
i have a pair of bose 501's. I have to say the quality of the sound is not the best, but for when you just want it loud i have heard nothing better. Plus they can stand up to it when my drunk friends get hold of the volume knob. I use mine for party speakers. Or i difd till the woofer surrounds fell apart. Anyone know where i can get replacements in the uk?

I have a set of Acoustimas series 5 Pro. These things cost circa £600 in '92 but I paid £200 for a set that had been used for a week at an airshow.

I don't like them at all.

Both the cubes have seperated at the pivot point and 3 of the dust covers have fallen off. They are now held together with insulating tape.. Mind you, they live in a cupboard where they have been since about '95.

There is no real low bass, just boomy mid bass, they lack lower midrange and the top end is too harsh.

I learned this years ago when I was selling home audio. I pitted a pair of Bose against a pair of Mirage speakers for a customer and no matter how much I pointed out the bloated flabby mid bass, the lack of extension, dynamics and other flaws to him, he simply came back saying "I like the sound of them better".

I think this is more common then we would like to think. People (General Public) like the sound of Bose...period.

My father-in-law just installed Acoustimass® 10 Speakers System in his TV room (10x10 room). The bass is impressive, my empty glass vibed off the end table. I am sure the small room and the corner loaded sub helped.

I find the Bose lovers and the Bose haters are pretty much the same mind set. One see's nothing bad in them, the other nothing good.

Pretty much the same as all extremist's, they are both wrong. I spent a lot of time with a pair of 901's 30 years ago and for their day they sounded pretty good if they were setup correctly. I have only ever seen a pair setup correctly twice.

Many people in the town where I lived beleive the Klipchhorns sounded like crap cause Cliff had a pair at his house in a 12 x 14 ft room with an 8 ft ceiling. To this day I know people that insist that the horns were/are overated crap and they will argue to the end of time because they have heard a pair.

The 901's could produce a soundstage that was much larger then just about anything else out there. It wasn't just big either, it wrapped right around you. That was a very special and rare thing in the 70's. That said, my buddy Bob had little pair on Linn's running off a M Levinson that produced a tight little soundstage that absolutely smoked the 901's for focus, detail and clarity. I had a large pair of Janzens hybrids and they did a bit of both. Those were the compromises we lived with back then.

A lot of people don't hear that well in the sense that they are not good at picking out details from a wall of sound. For those people the huge soundstage created by many of the Bose designs will always sound better and you know what? For those people they are a better sounding speaker, its not an eror in judgement, its not brain washing, its a simple fact.

The modern Bose is an exceptional product for it's intended market. That market is not you or me. It's the family that works 9 hours a day and commutes another hour to keep a roof over the families head.

When shopping for a system for the family room in a split level most people simply want a brand they know, something easy to setup and easy to tuck the heck out of the way. They have little time to research it, less time to shop for it and will be lucky to find much time to listen to it. High sound quality is pretty low of the list and the Bose exceeds that requirement for them.

I thank the lord I'm not one of those people and find little reason to make fun of those that are after all I just discribed my parents :)

Re: bose 501

bob_v5 said:
hi.
i have a pair of bose 501's. I have to say the quality of the sound is not the best, but for when you just want it loud i have heard nothing better. Plus they can stand up to it when my drunk friends get hold of the volume knob. I use mine for party speakers. Or i difd till the woofer surrounds fell apart. Anyone know where i can get replacements in the uk?

LOL I started my previous message with the intent of answering this

this Ebay store has them

Bose in India however is considered as a brand to be revered. Maybe the US values Bose differently. In India I find that Bose is bought by people who could afford better but prefer to buy Bose for the snob value. A Bose in the living room and a Mercedes Benz in the garage shows you have arrived.

Given the above I do think that Bose is very overrated.

And I have heard atleast one pair of properly setup 901 and while the sound did envelope you the detail was missing even when compared to similarly priced speakers of their day (KLH, Advent, etc..).

The US does like BOSE...but it's just like anything else over here. We are as divided as possible. Personally if I were to go for the manufactured systems i would go with some klipsch heritage loud speakers and some aragon amps/pre's/recievers.....but as it turns out i like my money toomuch to toss it on that kind of stuff when it's alot more fun to fail at building your stuff than it is to succeed at buying. Just my dos centavos for any of you cats that care........

later

BOSE

I've always felt that what sounds good to you is what is important.
Everyone has a different conception of what sounds good. I have a Bob Carver Sunfire Jr. inline with my Bose 310 Series IV's, and it will just about make your ears bleed. Pushing 100 WPC (times 5) with a budget Kenwood receiver , what more would you want? Of course,
I'd like some Martin Logans, but as my dad says, "poor people have poor ways".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.