Dropped another Bose-Bomb!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
K-amps said:
Thats what I thought so too... patriotic reasons... Also high end audio is the hobby of relatively rich people or those with large consumable discretionary income... both found in probably less than 1% in India. People have higher priorities. There will only be a select few (like you) who know good audio.. ;)

I can assure you it's far less than 1% in India...

it's like 1% in america

Most "audiophiles" dont buy bose. some of them i'm sure dont buy bose because doing so would affect their "audiophile" status. See branding at work again.

Next time you buy anything intropect on your purchase. you will see branding (however subtle it is) is at work.

Nice thing about audio. These days I don't need to concern myself so much with branding since nearly all my audio budget is spent at Digikey & Mouser!

hi

k - amps

1 st) 1% of 1 billion people here in india = 1 million quite a few customers may be bose s 5 yr production ( i dont know abt his produstion capacity - though )

the sale is not patriotic , speacially with quite a few of us here to give bose a very good run for all his money

and

bose is a 2 nd generation american , considering those who r americans now are 3 generation more or less ,

my 1 st cousin is a 2nd generation american , huge difference between us , really very much - not as that in the broad sence that we may be both very nice guys , helpful and would want good of all things , but in ideas & principles -
how i would approach to purchase a shirt - I find the manufacturers who export to US - wait for the them to sell the extra bit of cloth they will not use & have a shirt stiched with that material by very good tailors here who only normally stitches suits -
non of my family can buy my cousin shirts as he wears $ 200 and above ones - though his mom is always telling us that he is always in the red - deep in credit

when he is down here we both go to clubs get pissed out of our brains we are good friends but we dont see eye to eye on one single topic

for information - bose has not a single investment here , where as I know of very many american loudspeaker manufacturers who have sourced from india and have helped us and continue doing so

bose directly does not even market his own stuff - done through the a person of the busness community - who has given him a lump some to be able to route all bose equipments through him -

the handful bose dealers source thru this person in bombay

to save face they say theirs is a bose ( authorised ) show room here - infact it is not but a sub dealership

for those Indians who doubt this check out at Crystal Plaza , Andheri E - Mumbai

bose knows well it will be difficult to market stuff here and he may run into a loss therefore he does not spend on it at all and is happy having given this distributorship , the distributor prior each festival season hire a five star banquet hall - demo products and sell

mostly employing all of bose marketing gimickry to gawkers

i recommend sony or samsung and love them more as they have set up shop here faced losses - sony india will break even in 2007 -

it shows that relations need not be of the same blood

due to a few qualified computer techies available here than may be in the Us bose has recruted a few here , in the name of research but i seriously think as wily as he is - he is getting his accounts & back office work done here - again just for more profits

as where is the research in his stuff in the first place !

suranjan das gupta

transducer design engineer

Mr. Gupta,

Since you choose to be confrontational... :)

1) I said less than 1% so 1 million people is incorrect.
2) Amar Bose is First gen not second gen American.
3) People don't care wgat gen American he is... they still consider the Bengali Babu an Indian... perceptions... perceptions...
4) I dont know how many Ondian companies give him a run for his money in India... they don't here directly in the US. Sourcing components is not the same as marketing a product and building a brandname.

But then we are digressing from the thread... my apologies.

ANd all the talk of marketing and sec gen first gen, it distracts from the origins of this thread. We can all agree that Bose sounds like *** ... although that new panasonic HTIAB is pretty god awful as well.

I vote we install Planet-10 as the new head of R+D for Bose (r) (c) (T)
<covering my butt

Note to the above. Air molecules don't care where the devices pushing the to and fro were built. Nor do they give a hoot about the nationality of the designer/entreneur behind them. Moreover they don't need no stinking Green Card.:clown:

The ears that detect the motions of tose little molecules would be in a similar state if only they were not connected to brains filled with extraneous information.:devilr:

ratman542 said:
For me, exceeding X-max :smash: only seems to be a problem after :drink:

Ahhh... :D
Back in the 80s I bought my first pair of speakers, with my own money.
A pair of small Tannoy standmounts, don't remember the model but it was a recently introduced exagonal enclosure series.
I got home, connected them to my (recently bought) Nad receiver, put New Order's "Blue Monday" on vinyl, half volume (that was LOUD!) and...:eek:
Bonc... (music) ...bonc... :bawling:
The cone exceeded xmax and the coil must be hitting the magnet...:xeye:
I looked to the back of the speakers, they said: 100W max.
My Nad was 40W RMS at 8 ohms.
I thought to myself: this is unacceptable, I can't listen to my music at half volume?!
Next day I went back to the distributor and after listening to several speakers I changed them for a pair of big 3-way JBL LX500 standmounts, at double the cost (450 Euros back then).
Arrived home and took some body massages listening to them. :cool:

K-amps said:
Thats what I thought so too... patriotic reasons... Also high end audio is the hobby of relatively rich people... There will only be a select few (like you) who know good audio.. ;)

Being Indian I feel that patriotisim is only a small part of the story. Marketing is a bigger part. Ofcourse everyone loves the story of the small town boy who made it big. Witness the Lance Armstrong Story but few will buy a Bose system only becuase it was made by an Indian.

Yes only 1% of India's population would afford a decent stereo but Bose is not cheap. There are plenty of brands that are comparably priced. So what accounts for the fact that Bose outsells all the other brands combined (in the same price range).

The 1% who can afford Bose or other brands are usually well travelled. They should have had exposure to other brands as well. But I just cant convince them to try out much less buy anything else. Many buy it as a sort of status symbol or just becuase their neighbour, cousin, etc... bought one and is satisfied. They are all happy customers. I guess ignorance is indeed bliss.

hi

k amps - sorry if i was sounding confrotational , i try my best to give the most accurate solutions to tech related issues

for 1% one needs to remove two zeroes and i thoguht 100 million makes a 1 billion

but it doesnt and i am even happier that i am wrong that now i know India has given 55 % of the largest order for the 5 years to Boeng and Air Bus amounting to $ 30 billion plus

and our forex reserves are about 200 billion

and if we dont order f- 16 s & f - 18 hornets quite a few lockheed people may have to reduce their shifts of work

Suranjan

An Indian first

then a Transducer Design Engineer

hi

with the immence safety regs , construction rules , material specs which i am sure are good for every one it is quite difficult to start up anything of that magnitude yet here ,

it was difficult for airbus to reach where it has now , though boeing the pioneer it is good that there is some competition , both are very advanced & where it comes to passenger safety - standardised facilities , airstaff , lots of personnel for maintainence etc , i think these 2 will be the nly players for some time

the scope will be in defence aircraft - where one need not comply to all the regs required , I am not saying it is easy to make any of the top defence aircarfts be it Us , European or Russian made - but a start can be made by other countries in this field

k - amps

I am sure no - one ever and certainly not a top noch mangement will put things in one basket - & i may have been a bit naive inserting that comment , quite a bit - is in the news papers lately regarding the purchase of these planes

In fact I hope it goes thru as we earn quite a bit thru exports to Us and would be gr8 to be able to buy something from there too - which the government thinks they may require - than else where

some problems here is we dont have training and capabilty - infrastructure etc to handle these planes - but they can this can be dealt with , another is an issue with transfer of technology

suranjan

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
hunter audio said:
....for 1% one needs to remove two zeroes and i thoguht 100 million makes a 1 billion....

....but it doesnt

Well, actually, in England it did, until some years ago.

And India follows England's lead on these things.

In England, 1 billion = 100 Million until it changed some years ago.

Growing up in India, you were probably taught that was the case. Then, as a young engineer, you probably started using 10 to the eighth, 10 to the ninth, etc so you missed it when the change came, whenever that was.

So your belief that 1 billion = 100 million is rooted in fact, though the situation has changed now.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Nope, not nitpicking at all. Just a necessary correction.

I was wrong.

At one time there was a difference between the American billion and the English billion, but it wasn't that the English billion = 100 American billion. It was that the English billion = American million squared.

Oops.

picture all the money spent on bose,the BS marketing,cost of the 'product',

overhead in stores,saiaries,the poor electrons that had to squeeze through

the bose orifice,and sprayed every witch way, every penny wasted on things bose

picture this money spent on advancing the real state of audio

then bose is revealed as the waste it truly is

````````````````````````````
witchcraft used for good

http://www.drg-gss.org/?page=smile

i've heard a few o Bose's designs and not liked one yet. 201,, 301, 501, 901.

but i gotta say this. at the time i heard the 901 (1981-2) I rubbished the system citing (one reason) that how could one driver deliver accurate sound over the whole audio spectrum (lets not define that now).

fast foward 25 years and I am now looking at using 1 fullrange driver to cover almost the whole audia spectrum (100Hz+) namely the JX92 or the FR125.

just a thought.

I have heard Dr. Bose once and he does come across as knowledgeable if a little pompus. He has built a profitable company in audio where many have failed. I dont know why we should expect him to invest in India when he does see a business need to. He is a businessman not a philathropist.
In fact I guess it is in his business interest not to build his prodcuts here. Now that is another long story.

Bose

Noticed that everyone is bashing a product that I have played with for over 20 years.

Have tried different scenarios, different configurations, carried them to clubs when theirs failed, done recordings (Reel/Reel).

Have had nothing but success.

Good comments from everyone who has been entertained by both the music (all genre) and the sound.

The speakers I have (JVC,JBL,etc.) interviewed over time were awsome and much has changed to make them better.

But, I want sound coming out that that does not blow my hair back when I stand in front of it.

I want it to FILL the room, the house or whatever space I have available.

So far I have not found anything that will equal or standup to the 901's. But you have to position them correctly. (Gee, trial and error)

Have driven them with eveything from 100watts per channel to 200 watts per channel with the same results.

They reproduce sound the same way everytime. In every room, club, inside or outside.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.