Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

oops, sorry for the picture size.
JG

Hi Giordano,

vzs conformed PCM board works with AD1865 upto 384KHz
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...rsal-i2s-pcm-driver-board-54.html#post3635789

Pleas check if the USB mclk frequencies limited the higher Fs in your application if you got issue with 192KHz. Or, your DAC configration.

But the way with best sound quality is to work with FIFO KIT.

I don't think the way you measure the termination resistor is correct:). You can measure it directly on the PCM board. But please don't worry, PCM board was designed to match 50ohm output impedance very well.

Would be glad if there is any hlep.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,
It works now, with the FIFO.
I just plugged together and it worked immediately. On 192/24 too.

I do not know why it did not work without the FIFO. I suspect, there is something to do with the master clock. Now I have double the master clock to the PCM board.

Now, the dilemma is, since I do not need the master clock from the Amanero combo384, do I need it at all or not?
For sure, without the FIFO, when I tried with a Sabre DAC with the Amanero and by directly to the RPI I2S output, with the Amanero it was much better, but that is no wonder, the Amanero has 2 correct freq tcxo, and the clock devided from those. Not what the RPI can generate, devided from system clock.

The question is that, does that matter with the FIFO?

I guess I need to try out, I just need to make the proto wood board a bit better built to be able to move it to the living room. Also I have another DAC chip coming, what I know already.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,
JG

Hi Ian,
It works now, with the FIFO.
I just plugged together and it worked immediately. On 192/24 too.

I do not know why it did not work without the FIFO. I suspect, there is something to do with the master clock. Now I have double the master clock to the PCM board.

Now, the dilemma is, since I do not need the master clock from the Amanero combo384, do I need it at all or not?
For sure, without the FIFO, when I tried with a Sabre DAC with the Amanero and by directly to the RPI I2S output, with the Amanero it was much better, but that is no wonder, the Amanero has 2 correct freq tcxo, and the clock devided from those. Not what the RPI can generate, devided from system clock.

The question is that, does that matter with the FIFO?

I guess I need to try out, I just need to make the proto wood board a bit better built to be able to move it to the living room. Also I have another DAC chip coming, what I know already.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,
JG

Good to know it works now. With my FIFO in system, anything clock before clock board doesn't matter at all.

Please let me know if there is anything I can help.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

I noticed the other day that AUDIAL are offering a similar board to yours.......

https://www.audialonline.com/topics/usb-to-simultaneous-data-or-i2s-board/

No I2S I/P though and will only get the TDA1541A working up to 192kHz whereas I have your PCB running a pair up to 384kHz.
Yours is much more 'flexible' in its operation.

Maybe worth your time to make some more of your boards !?

Best wishes,

P.

Hi Ian,

I noticed the other day that AUDIAL are offering a similar board to yours.......

https://www.audialonline.com/topics/usb-to-simultaneous-data-or-i2s-board/

No I2S I/P though and will only get the TDA1541A working up to 192kHz whereas I have your PCB running a pair up to 384kHz.
Yours is much more 'flexible' in its operation.

Maybe worth your time to make some more of your boards !?

Best wishes,

P.

Thanks percival007,

Yes, I'll run a new production for Ian PCM board.

Here is the new GB interesting list:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy-211.html#post4866328

Regards,
Ian

Hi Canvas and fellows

How would you Stream the 3 channels into the MC Fifo ? Does a Raspberry or Odroid is able to Stream 3 ways via it's unique I2S output ?

So Maybe off topic, but what is needed to stream an active 3 ways into the MC FIFO and is the MC FIFO is 3 ways output enable ?

A soft like J-River ?

Couls someone please help to list all the possibilities to Stream into a MC Fifo : which soft and hardware, functionalities : 5 channels SACD; 32/384, DVD Audio able, DSD, PCM 24/192 ???

Sorry I'm lost, if someone may help, very much appreciated :)

to rephrase it : too basic question : what hardware are needed and which are proof for such high speeds (POC of the layouts !) & what soft before the MC Fifo (functionnalities : active filter or EQ able ?)

thank you so much if any help:)

Hi Canvas and fellows

How would you Stream the 3 channels into the MC Fifo ? Does a Raspberry or Odroid is able to Stream 3 ways via it's unique I2S output ?

So Maybe off topic, but what is needed to stream an active 3 ways into the MC FIFO and is the MC FIFO is 3 ways output enable ?

A soft like J-River ?

Couls someone please help to list all the possibilities to Stream into a MC Fifo : which soft and hardware, functionalities : 5 channels SACD; 32/384, DVD Audio able, DSD, PCM 24/192 ???

Sorry I'm lost, if someone may help, very much appreciated :)

to rephrase it : too basic question : what hardware are needed and which are proof for such high speeds (POC of the layouts !) & what soft before the MC Fifo (functionnalities : active filter or EQ able ?)

thank you so much if any help:)

Hi Eldam,

I'm also new to this field. What I have found is that you can do this by either software (like JRiver + 3rd party plugin) or by DSP (like miniSHARC). In 1st method, you need multi-channel soundcard like USBStreamer to output MC I2S, and you will need a powerful processor to do this. A high performance X86 HTPC is more favorable. In 2nd method, you let the DSP to do the whole thing for you. Used the provided software to set the parameters of the crossover. DSP will also output MC I2S. Then you know what to do.

Poting

Ian, I see there is a 3.3 V out connector on the PCM-board.
Can that be used to feed the isolator on the WaveIO? (I have no FIFO)
And. Maybe add a small resistor (4.7 ohm) or a inductor, and a small capacitor (20 uF)?

regards
albert

There are two output holes that refer to a 3.3 V out: two are also designated as TP. That marking TP would indicate these are not for regular use.

I want to get rid of a separate power supply for the isolator on the WAVEIO. And that part of the isolator is not galvanically isolated fro the sim board. So my question is again:

Can I use the left output for the purpose of feeding the WIo board output??
Is it indeed regulated and derived from the 5 volt input?

Please suggestions.

3.3 V on sim board.jpg

Hi Albert,

How do you feed the MCLK of the PCM board ? From the Wave I/O ?

In this scenario, I'm not sure but the isolator has no interest has the MCLK output from the Wave I/O has a direct gnd connection before the isolator to the PCM board (I mean if you use (strongly advised) a 10" UF-L wire ! Here I advise you the uf-l non isolated I2S output of the Wave I/O to the PCM Board : I can testimony it's sounding good on a TDA1541A : the combo NDK Crystal without the little jitter given by the main isolated non uf-l plugd+ PCM board sounds defintly Good !

In an other scenario you would not have the IanCanada Isolator (which is quieter than the Wave I/O in term of Jitter) as well but the IanCanada Clock instead using the MCLK of the Wave I/O : you could use this voltage output of the PCM board to feed the isolator of the Wave I/O !

Anyway and always in this second scenario, you should try the Wave I/O non isolated outputs with the uf-l plugs and let you ears decide if you hear a difference or not ! I personnaly prefer the non isolated output with true uf-l 10" wires : connection is cleaner, 50 ohms connection is guaranted, and each I2S signal is cleanly shielded with a close return of the signal through the gnd surrounding cable of each uf-l wire.

And Ian could tell you than I already shorted a PCM board because the risky plug of the isolated Wave I/O where the voltage pin is close to the gns and I2S pins ! So uf-l wires is less DIY but Hassle free and better sounding solution (IMHO & YMMV).

I don't remember but is it not 5V needed for the Wave I/O isolator chip ???

regards

Thanks Eldam, some answers:
Hi Albert,

How do you feed the MCLK of the PCM board ? From the Wave I/O ?

I have the WaveIO-->PCM board, directly connected via isolator, have only these two boards.
I am convinced I do not use the MCLK output from before the isolator of the Wave I/O with its direct gnd connection before the isolator to the PCM board _ I tested with ohm meter and there is no earth connected between the WaveIO and the PCM.
But I should look underside maybe.

By the way it works NOS to the TDA1541.

Anyway and always in this second scenario, you should try the Wave I/O non isolated outputs with the uf-l plugs and let you ears decide if you hear a difference or not !
I personnaly prefer the non isolated output with true uf-l 10" wires : connection is cleaner, 50 ohms connection is guaranted, and each I2S signal is cleanly shielded with a close return of the signal through the gnd surrounding cable of each uf-l wire.​
This is how I have it; thinking it is better to isolate . . .

I don't remember but is it not 5V needed for the Wave I/O isolator chip ???
It is 3.3 volt on the downstream side.

I am preparing to install a PCM1704. That has higher constraints on the architecture :eek:

Thanks again Eldam, your questions helped me a lot.
I might not be able to use this board this way I did (Wave IO --> PCM board):
DT = I2S Data, --> SD
LR = I2S Word Clock, --> WS
BC = I2S Bit Clock, --> SCK
MC = I2S Master Clock --> MCLK​

I note that not all lengths are the same; some I have soldered.

Need to wait sometime before the Bay delivers a new batch of Ufl sockets to solder on iAn's board.

Hi,

Need a tip please :

It's not so clear to me at reading the I2S to PCM board manual :

Is there an other way than removing by desoldering the embeded LDO reg when feeding the pcb with an external low noise power supply ? Or can it be bypassed by the sided 3 unpopulated vias ????

Today I repluged my AYA II TDA1541 DAC but just with the Wave I/O non isolated side to the PCM board via u-fl wires (no external clock but the one of the Wave I/O)

Thanks in advance, regards

Eldam

I'm late to the party here .... and I've hardly skimmed this thread.

In the OP iancanada notes:

Rather than I2S signals, most of R-2R NOS DACs (PCM63, AD1865, AD1862, PCM1704, PCM1702, TDA1541...) driven by LL/LR, DL, DR and BCK. I might be wrong, but to make it easier, I call them “PCM” signals.

I actually have most of these now-classic DAC ICs in my parts bin.

Over the years, I have tested various "re-clocking" and "buffering" circuits (usually with good results; tho' I've mostly stuck with oversampling).
Those re-clocking/buffering projects were constructed with now-classic 74 logic ICs.

My question is:
Is iancanada's project (in this thread) basically a modern re-clocking/buffering (but implemented with FPGA, not 74 logic chips)?

Hi,

Need a tip please :

It's not so clear to me at reading the I2S to PCM board manual :

Is there an other way than removing by desoldering the embeded LDO reg when feeding the pcb with an external low noise power supply ? Or can it be bypassed by the sided 3 unpopulated vias ????

Today I repluged my AYA II TDA1541 DAC but just with the Wave I/O non isolated side to the PCM board via u-fl wires (no external clock but the one of the Wave I/O)

Thanks in advance, regards

Eldam

I think you have to cut the enable pin trace to disable it. However, I desoldered the LDO with a hot air gun. You can do it in 30 seconds. I replaced both the LDO on clock and PCM boards with LT3042 and the result is fantastic. Noise is such an important factor on audio equipments.

If you want to use the PCM noard you need to feed it with a Master Clock wvia an uf-l wire.... few choices :

Wave I/O (it has a uf-l MCLK output socket) or Ian's clock board (as the socket as well) with any USB to I2S board before it.

Ian is making a TOSLINK/SPIDF/USB board as well, but I don't know if he is planning to sold it again in the next coming soon Group Buy as now the fashion is to use Pi Hat as source/streamer !