Does anyone have some idea about Rega Elex amplifer?

Borbely audio, nice find!

I did improve the circuits by replacing some of the cheap components, especially those on the signal path, such as coupling capacitors. You can read my previous posts in this thread.

Long time no tweaking my amplifer, because recently I've been captivated by another hobby, amatuer astronomy. My wallet is being swallowed by the rediculously pricy optics.

:dead: Oh, my, why all my hobbies are so malicious to my wallet? :D

Good evening everyone...

I've been working on an recently aquired Rega Elex for a few days. There was definate hum across both channels so I figured I'd replace the PSU caps.

All of the hum that was apparent seems to have vanished :)

Whilst buying the caps I took the opportunity to order pairs of 2SA1216 and 2SC2922 with the intent of upgrading the existing output devices.

Having actually now used the amp a bit I'm thinking it sounds pretty nice as is.

Is it worth the upgrade?
Is it necessary to increase the bias current with the bigger output transistors?

Thanks David

Rega Elex/Elicit repair

Hi

I am a Rega repairman since a long time and my advices are:

Replace all small electrolytics: 2.2uf 10 uf 10 uf and 22 uf with better quality ex Panasonic FM types. (buzz and noise)

Check for bad solder joints on wires.

Clean speaker relay.

Maybe it is not a good idea to replace the output transistors for the 2Sc2922 and 2SA1216

Clean vol pot and selector on Elex.

Enjoy the great sound of these amps

REGA ELEX Amp Schematic or Manual

Hi-

I have a REGA ELEX that I adore and the left channel has gone out. Being the non-EE girl that I am, I have a clever friend who said with a schematic he will be able to troubleshoot my amp.

I saw that Dan M. had access to a schematic.

Can anyone help me so I can listen in stereo again?

Thank you!

Second trafo for Rega ELEX

Hi Stigla,

You wrote:

"... second Transformer and also 2 extra PSU caps and rectifiers etc. So my brother contacted our local distributor and managed to get hold of an extra Elex trafo for a very nice price of 58$ !!! So now we will be upgrading to dual mono..."

Please, can You give me any information, where I can get this trafo from?

Kind Regards

Martin

Rega Elex schematics

Hi there, new to the forum, first time poster:)

I was wondering if anyone could email me the schematics for Rega Elex? The left channel seems a lot lower than the right after we moved to another house, and the bass is also very lacking (from both channels). Hoping to be able to fix this myself somehow - though I've never seen the inside of an amp before, but will get help from a "pro". He needs the schematics to look it over though.

Anyone able to help?

~ Haakon

PS, I am afraid to leave my email on display in the forum because of spam, so hopefully it works by just clicking on the "email"-button under the post?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Rega Elex schematics

clavinyton said:
PS, I am afraid to leave my email on display in the forum because of spam, so hopefully it works by just clicking on the "email"-button under the post?

first - be sure that you didn't forgot that speaker in old place , so that's the reason why that channel is weaker
:clown:

second - go to your control panel ( in forum ) and enable receiving e-mails via board software .

then you'll see e-mail button under own posts

third - you can always put your email addy in brackets , and make in inactive for spam harvester .......... >anyone@noone.com<

The problem with diminishing bass, is due to the fact that the designer has cunningly placed the electrolytic capacitor in the feedback-loop very close to a small heatsink. This gets rather hot, so in due course the cap will dry out. I believe it is a 47u cap, but as I do not have the schematics in front of me, I cannot tell you the number and placement of it with total confidence. If somebody saw fit to send me a schematic, I could tell you.

Regards
Roar

Ah, thanks for the tip on the email, Zen Mod, finally found the setting for the email, and I should be emailable now if someone has the schematics.

Also thanks to Roar for the info on the capacitor, looking forward to fixing this:) Lucky for me there is another norwegian on the board;)

~ Haakon