Does anyone have some idea about Rega Elex amplifer?

Hi Cobra71

I have repaired many Elicit and Elex. ;)

The more common problems are: :rolleyes:

Bad solder
Bad speaker relay
If oscillating=bad 2.2uf 22uf 10uf in the poweramp section and in the preampli
section This is a common problem after many years in these units.
Sometime, an open or short predriver.
Oxydized pot and switches

Good luck :cool:

Sorry to bother

Hi to all,
First of all, thanks for this great threat about the Elex. I have one that has been sitting in DIY room for a year and I was too stubborn to bring it to a repair shop. If it isn't too much to ask, and off course whenever time allows, would you be kind enough to mail me the schematics as well as the best upgrades, please?
I would be eternally thankful and working in taiwan, close to japan, I have acces to an endless list of electric components and stereo components.

As for now, I am working on my Yamaha RX10 amp, which has a very low output. I wan't to fix it so my young daughter can listen to great music(mostly classic and opera) on a half ok amp for a five year old child.

I am also working, this time, on fixing a teac mini system with an annoying triple cd tray that won't read anyhting. That project is for my wife to enjoy in the kitchen.

As for myself, I am fixing an old pioneer 9000 quadriphonics, that's going to bring musical joy in the garden.

I also have to change an output transistor an my old Marrantz 2266 b or 2256( it is too late at night for me to go into my DIY room and confirm the exact model number, the wifey will get on back) that i shorted myself while cleaning the dust of it with a screw driver... (bad idea)

I have a furutech plugs system that does the job, monster cables, which are half way decent. I play music mostly through my low end pioneer 301 cd jukebox, just because it holds years of memories and I refuse to convert files to MP3) For a digital source, I have a denon, a sony and a few sony MD players with optical outputs.

I am only thirty years old so my record collection is limited to crappy teenage stuff so I haven't bothered buying a phono deck (yet).

In use at the momemt is a bose Westborro in the living room but frankly, apart from it's appealing look, there isn't much to it.

Now, speakers... I have the smallest Thiel.5 which sound great could do with a little more humph in the low frequency but a great sounding pair for an amateur audiophile like myself. I also have the paradigm studio 220 cinema kit which is ok but I definately goy what i paid for, they cannot handle high power. I hate surround sound kits in general.. I wan't to get some old bose 901 with the EQ, my dad had them and they rocked my world while watxhing StarWars on VHS(the vhs and the TV both were B&0)... I quickly got into the dark, lonely world,(so many hours in my toolshop..Although away from the wife and kid so, not so bad after all.

Questions now: 1) What would a good mid/low uprade for the Thiel?
2) Would anyone have the will to enlighten me with my Rega Fix/upgrade job?
3)Where could I find either a lense for my mini teac or the whole system tray and lense?
4)About my Yamaha, low sound outpout, does it ring any bells from previous threads?
The marrantz project is easy, just a quick trip the audio DIY store but If I was to upgrade any components, would you have any suggestions?

Apart from my long and annoying post, I keep my pots clean and dust far away from the my babies. I used Naphta on very dirty PCB and it does wonders...

Anyways, if you've read my thread, thank you for your patience, and possibly guidance. It is my first posting I didn't want to half-*** it....

My name is Gaston, from France but living and working in Taiwan... I am almost obsessive/compulsive about Audio but it keeps my ticker ticking and my stress level down.

I wish you all a good recovery from my verbal diarrhea, and remember never to buy a Philips 46 inch plasma TV, it runs too hoy for the caps but it is an easy fix.. I should look into a cap upgrade or ventilation, either or..Any suggestions welcome...

Proudly register at diyaudio,

Gaston

I handle my solders like a samurai would his sword, like a vulcher would woud a roten carcass... It is all about love

PPS: I am into Jean-Michelle Jarre and the Philip Glass Orchestra at the moment. If you have similar tastes and new another few gereat musical pieces, feel free to let me know.. I'll buy the damn thing, I promise not to download any badly compressed versions.

Best regards,

The Soldering Samurai

Hi
I just got an old Elex with some serious issues. I am digging the sound of it though, so I am considering trying to fix it hwile modding it to dual-mono in the process. I found a secondhand elex in good condition @ 120$ so I might just pick that one up and use one of them as parts. (the one with issues has alot of broken plastic, bad connections and more.)
Before asking alot of silly questions I will do some extensive research and try to acquire the proper skills and measurement tools. (I might take some evening seminars on electronics and audio equipment before getting started)
I am still learning most of the needed skills so I was wondering if someone could send me the schematics and also if anyone could point me towards some educational material that might help me acquire the skills needed for the bi-mono mod.
Schematics can be sent to info@abstreet.info :)

By tons of compliments I read about this amp I'm probably the only person this amplifier seems very poor.

I've had it for a year at home. During this time has been in a 30m2 room with various speakers:

-Audio Exklusiv Tubular Bell 1

-Epos ES-30

-Russell K RED100

-Russell K RED50

-Heybrook HB1

During another long season I've had in another room 15m2 with Russell K RED100 & RED50 loudspeakers.

I calls attention to this electronic is a "icon" of hifi called "flatearth" context because its low end is flabby and hampers any sense of propulsion through a good pace. Lacks a minimum musical scale do "all terrain" for users of classical music.Decidedly colored in essential areas where the attack occurs, not given to virtue accent that converts sound into musical lenguage.

Furthermore, the apparent quality of construction is far from satisfactory to the naked eye. Poor touch of buttons.

In short, IMO, it's very far from being a worthy mention amplifier. The excellent publicity machine worldwide with democratic price created a snowball effect...............nothing to do with reality

cheers

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, it seems you stand alone amongst the enthusiasts who like, or rather liked the Rega Elex/Elicit products.

Have you considered the changes to sound quality that often occur over 25 years with standard grade caps? If your amplifier it hasn't been re-capped as advised in this thread several times and years ago, it likely will sound poor in comparison to either amplifier in original condition. As a basic DIY activity, I would look into doing this. Otherwise, simply have it serviced by a professional audio repair technician.

I know the benefits of a recap for my amplifier, literally in love since I buy and sell much more expensive things, after 15 years I have practido two recap. The first was two years ago and did not do too well as the assembled material was not particularly prominent and also took precautions to the DC bias and adjustment. These adjustments in the case of this amplifier are especially rigorous topology used by the ultra-low bias (not mounted heat sink, the calculation includes the entire chassis) and the need for repeat reading for long hours to establish the ideal value.

I mean the Densen DM10MK2. A real machine to make music that after much effort I managed to recover its original sound in this second recap.

Practice from the first day on 24/7. It is definitely one of the best integrated amplifiers I know in absolute terms under a purely musical criteria. D

I had the opportunity to check the success of its "seal" personal and nontransferable closely related to the material mounted on the PCB. Play to "improve" with presumably better and more expensive material is not always the right way. I tried to replace your Sanyo OSCON signal by a large number of options and therein lies much of its "secret"

ncidentally, the Rega Elex R to which I refer in my description was new. I left him a good friend who was moving and at that time I was doing the recap of my amp and other aesthetic maintenance tasks like polishing different parts of the front. That is not just any action needed maintenance on power supply

regards

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think you are drawing comparisons between two different retail product levels (with quite different prices). Current models are of course different to the earlier ones discussed here but comparable Densen models are now around 3 times the price of the Elex-R (here in Aus, at least).

If Higher-end products are your preference but price is not a concern, I'm sure there are other products too, that would meet your particular sound quality interests and stand better in comparison.

True, sorry for the confusion thinking that it is the current Elex R. By the way the design of the current and the original belong to different people.

I do not judge an amplifier based on its price. I love good amplifiers regardless of price. In fact I love emblematic models such as Naim Nait 2 good classic models Creek, Colin Wonfor designs for Magnum AC ....

My comments were in reference to the acutal Elex, regardless of their level of price I do not think even a minimally remarkable amplifier as opposed to the current praise in all media.

There were always outstanding quantitative amplifications very affordable strata not thereby renounced their musical abilities in absolute terms. Examples like Nait 2 and Onix OA21 are two of many examples, IMO.

I don't know the original Elex, I understand that it can be much better than the current because it should not be very difficult to overcome the current.

regards!