Does anybody know how to get this finish?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Indeed, the sanders design!

I'm working on the color results still. Its slow going because I live in a small apt in the city and the speakers are at my girlfriends house about 45 mins away so I only get to work on weekends really.

Once I get my spray gun up and running I'll send picks of the color samples. It seems a bit of a shame to cover up all that figure with black dye, but the final result looks much more subtle and less gaudy in my opinion with the grain patturn only apparent upon closer inspection.

-Wes

Hello,

This is taking forever! But I'm about ready to iron on the large veneer sheets to the speakers. Also, the plaster of paris pore filling seems to work quite well now (I switched from RIT dye to an analine dye sold by constantines.)

Mark, I was just wondering if you had any suggestions about how to fill a large area with this method. From my experience, the plaster tends to dry up in about 15-20 minutes. This would make it difficult to cover a whole side before my stock dries out. But I think that doing on area at a time might leave an uneven appearance. I guess if I really had to I could enlist a helper and just work as fast as possible. Any suggestions?

Also, can anyone expand on the tapping veneer corners with a hammer to get a nice edge? I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work.

Thanks!

-Wes

Here ya go...it's not to scale ;) ...or anything really, but should give you enough idea to go on...practice on a test box or something and it'll click in no time.
At first thought it doesn't seem like it would work that well but you'll be surprised at how well you can hide a seam this way...it's not as effective on paper backed stuff but still not bad.

:smash:

Attachments

• bonk.jpg
    bonk.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 475
PROGRESS!!!

Ok,

After traveling all over country for grad school interviews, actually graduating, finding an apt in a different state, and working far too much for my own good, I've managed to get some important work done.

Such as veneering and finally deciding on a finish (well almost).

Please see attached pics if anyone is still interested.

There will be a lot of them, so bear with me.

Attachments

• p1010137.jpg
    p1010137.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 296
Last one!!

Sorry for all the posts, but its hard to get a feel for it with just one picture... especially with my photography skills.

This isn't done yet either... just to give an idea.

So far its dyed plaster that I rubbed in with a damp rag. Then I rubbed Boiled linseed oil into it.

I still need to spray laquer (with or without sealing with shellac first... I've not decided)

Attachments

• p1010155.jpg
    p1010155.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 273
QUESTIONS for the wise men!!

Ok, you knew it was coming!

Is it necessary (or advisable) to apply shellac after the linseed oil before the laquer?

Or is it possible to spray the laquer directly onto the boiled linseed oil?

Next, I've only used plaster on small areas thus far and I know that the stuff in the cup is going to dry up before I can finish a whole side.

Are there any suggestions to make things blend better?

Thanks

Wes

Re: QUESTIONS for the wise men!!

Have you applied the plaster and linseed oil to the cabinets, or just a sample?

wrl said:
Ok, you knew it was coming!

Is it necessary (or advisable) to apply shellac after the linseed oil before the laquer?

Or is it possible to spray the laquer directly onto the boiled linseed oil?

Next, I've only used plaster on small areas thus far and I know that the stuff in the cup is going to dry up before I can finish a whole side.

Are there any suggestions to make things blend better?

Thanks

Wes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.