Do speaker cables make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Oh No!
Did I kill the thread with my talk of Egos, Ids and Beers? :cheers:

Anyhow, my cable test was rejected by the JREF.
They did agree that my test could tell the difference between speaker cables. They just didn't think there was anything paranormal about it.

I'll post the test in a new thread here in the "Everything Else". That way you guys can poke all the holes in it you want. But I'm ready for you!

panomaniac said:
Oh No!
Did I kill the thread with my talk of Egos, Ids and Beers? :cheers:

Anyhow, my cable test was rejected by the JREF.
They did agree that my test could tell the difference between speaker cables. They just didn't think there was anything paranormal about it.

I'll post the test in a new thread here in the "Everything Else". That way you guys can poke all the holes in it you want. But I'm ready for you!

Well this is kind of interesting, because I sent in a mail saying this:

I have just read the following on an diyAudio forum:

" Well, a million dollars is available to anyone who wants to try and prove that you can hear a difference between a $40 pair of cables and the most expensive ones available. In fact, James Randi just emailed me directly to tell me so! Anyone who's up for the challenge need only apply here:
http://randi.org/research/index.html
What have you got to lose? Read the instructions carefully, make an application, work out a protocol (that you are involved in designing), pass the test, and collect the cash. Should be easy."

Is this a valid subject for a challenge?

[/B]

And got a response saything this:

In spirit, yes. We'd have to see the protocol to know if it was a legitimate test. I suggest you read up on Randi's battle with folks who create "interconnects" and make outlandish claims about them. You can search at http://www.randi.org.
[/B]

So maybe they just want something that will make the news?

Exactly. (My typo, my bad) Or at least, stuff not yet explainable by science. If you took a system like mine (very stable amps, moderate cable lengths), and claimed to hear a difference between the Home Depot cables I use and some exotic brand, absent linear effects like level and frequency response and absent amp instability, you've got a paranormal claim.

Panicos K said:
Johan,from discussions I had with cable manufacturers I can tell you that they say a strand is oxygen free at the time it comes out of the dyes and has to be insulated almost instantly if it is to be OFC.True,many don't insulate them in time and when they do after some time,they are not OFC anymore.

Panicos K,

I hope you can accept the following impersonally from me to you. You did say that cable manufacturers told you - that is the problem!

All metallurgists would categorically agree (it is rather basic metallurgy) that such a statement is absolute nonsense (to put it mildly). It is somewhat like those magnets placed on car fuel lines that is purported to do magical things. This is exactly (while not generalising) why one has learnt to treat such statements with scepticism. (It could be said that 98% of manufacturer's claims give the rest of them a bad name.) Over the years as an engineer I had to analise some patent claims for a magazine I write for. All contained gross scientific inaccuracies, often with the most ludicrous twisting of basic physics.

I will stop at that; there's lots of interesting stories here! Only to ask though, if there was any merit in their products (however, whatever), why do they have to resort to such bold nonsense for explanations? Is that not enough to make one "smell a rat" without more ado?

I see we engineers are glibly called "flat-earthers". You might find my later comment on that illuminating; it contains the crux of this thread.

Regards.

Hue more Johan;
If I wanted to get more money selling simple stuff for Really Big Rands, I would tell that I sell special cables that absorb harsh distortions on highs and clean the sound such a way, when in reality there will be XLR male-to female cable with couple of resistors burried inside of the female socket. Probably, I will use the cable with less capacitance.
Such a way I would not reveal the secret why some microphones sound harsh, and got some butter on my bread from the table of guys who modify microphones for the same purposes.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SY said:
...claimed to hear a difference between the Home Depot cables I use and some exotic brand, absent linear effects like level and frequency response and absent amp instability, you've got a paranormal claim.

That what I was claiming. Didn't fly. :) Didn't mention amp instability in my claim. That's gonna be a hard one.

JREF probably didn't understand my claim, judging by their response. But they limit you to "two brief paragraphs" to state your claim.

I promise that I will post my claim, the JREF reply and more details later today - after I wake up a bit. Zzzzzzz.....

Bad idea, Cal. The problem there is the the bass electrons are slower than the treble electrons. If they're all in the same wire, the bass electrons effectively are entrained by the flow of midrange and treble electrons, dragged along, so to speak. In separate wires, they just poke along at their own speed.

How slow are we talking about? Well, 20Hz = 20 s-1, so it takes the bass electrons 1/20 s = 50 milliseconds to travel through the wire. Anyone can hear 50 millisecond delays.

Ah yes SY, I see what you are talking about. I wondering if that is old school though. As I understand it, the reason for the larger strands for the big electrons is that given sufficient space, like vehicles on a super-highway, they are able to achieve the same speed as the smaller electrons traveling on the arterial routes.

Tests are ongoing.

Results to be posted when no one's looking or after this thread has been closed.

SY said:
Bad idea, Cal. The problem there is the the bass electrons are slower than the treble electrons. If they're all in the same wire, the bass electrons effectively are entrained by the flow of midrange and treble electrons, dragged along, so to speak. In separate wires, they just poke along at their own speed.

Where are you getting this???:confused: :confused:

As Cal said, the bass electrons are BIGGER...key word there..

The treble electrons can't get by them....DUH!!!

They stack up behind the bass suckers.

Sheesh, dinna you larn nuttin???

Cheers, John

As for the rejection by JREF of Panomaniac's cable test,does anybody still believes that JREF had any intention whatsoever to accept any cable test without first killing the differences using techniques that have nothing to do with simple,plain ways of evaluating things in a hi-fi system,like, just plugging them in and listen?Panomaniac,as far as I'm concerned,although I know this doesn't count much for many,even you,I feel you simply won.

Sy, Cal,

You mean that with separate cables the bass drummer can comfortably finish after the piccoloist. (Jeepers, I hope no new members are reading here.)

Panicos K,
No sure. The problem is just to know which manufacturers to trust; at least for those without basic physics knowledge. On the other hand by now everybody should know what is of importance in cables.

Johan ,You may be right,but even someone like me with limited physics knowledge,may have his way to judge.A simple,true example:A balanced pure silver interconnect from one maker,may cost three times less than a similar design by another maker,both,well known in the market.Even I would choose correct,if these two cables were my only choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.