Do speaker cables make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
phn said:
A flat earther is somebody who will not let the truth get in the way of his beliefs.

Good definition. And in this case it means someone who's belief is that science already knows everything. Someone who's belief system does not allow for any reality outside what is known (by him).

Every major scientific step forward is usually preceded by something empirical that doesn't fit the existing model. Then the scientist sets out to explain, to see if there is actually something to discover.

At one end of the spectrum we have people blaming our hearing system for any anomolies, at the other that the science is incomplete. As always the truth is in the middle.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Johan Potgieter I can also not support being compelled to purchase a certain brand of cable simply to suit an ill-designed amplifier. I have had my modest experience in amplifier design of all kinds over 5 decades and have never had this problem - any tendency at instability should and can be cured in the amplifier. (If I was such a singularly talented designer I should have been wealthy by now.)

What consitutues an ill-designed amplifier? By your implication, there are many well respected amplifiers that you would brand ill-designed.

The realities of the marketplace -- not knowing what the amp will be hooked too -- have driven the engineering of many amplifiers heavily towards "works in all cases". Of late we see more & more amps that explore the fringes -- an amplifier should never be divorced from the speakers it drives and the cable that connects them. It is a system. When we diy we have the freedome to design properly, to design a system. (you would never design a car for instance to be useable with any tire -- that would compromise its function far to much).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Johan Potgieter said:
If you were to have said that you find they do or it is your experience, no further quibble. That is about your enjoyment of music. But standing as it is, it is presented as scientific fact. That was part of my point. With respect, either you (and those having the same experience) consider your ears perfect, but if stated as general impersonal fact ..... kindly prove it!

I presented my case already. SY's orange home-depot fire-hose vrs my 24g Cat 5. They will have measureable differences & they have sonic differences. In my system the extra little bit of series R coupled with the already high output impedance of my amplifier, couples nicely with my fairly efficient single FR speakers to lift the bass & the treble to give flatter frequency response. In SY's system (i assume) he needs more of a voltage source so needs low impedance cables.

His cables (and the amp designed to be used with them), would likely make my system sound like a table radio. Lean, lean in the bass & a lack of HF.

dave

Panicos K said:
An engineer just knows that people cannot hear cable differences.
That is incorrect.

An engineer is trained to follow rules of engagement. If the engineer has to determine the load capability of a beam, he uses what he was taught with respect to structural engineering to calculate the capability. If confronted with a problem for which the engineer is not trained, then the choices are to use the existing knowledge (which may be incorrect), or to decide that existing knowledge is inadequate for the task. Engineers are not allowed to think differently...it is not anarchy.. They are required to think only within the box. Would you be comfortable in a plane or a skyscraper that was designed by engineers who did not follow the rules??

One of the primary rules taught in some schools, is that humans have certain hearing capabilities....frequency response and amplitude response. The proper way for an engineer to deal with this understanding, is to use it for design limits.

If, however, the engineer learns that there are additional criteria, localization as an example, for which the engineer has NOT been taught the specifications of, then the engineer is faced with choosing, as per above.

Tacoma Narrows is a perfect example..after that, the criteria were changed to reflect new knowledge that was otherwise unknown.

Panicos K said:
It's not only what,but how you deffend it tha makes you a flat earther

I would tend to agree. But, engineers are not simply a subset of that category.

Cheers, John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
keladrin said:
With respect, hi-fi is not really comparable with a musical instrument. With music we are trying to carefully sculpture a sound that is pleasing to the beholder. With hi-fi we are trying to reproduce what has already been created faithfully, without any deterioration or added 'effect' - the two are very different.

I believe the point was to illustrate that the well trained human ear can be a good test instrument, otherwise we would not have some of the fantastic musical instruments we have.

dave

keladrin said:

With respect, hi-fi is not really comparable with a musical instrument. With music we are trying to carefully sculpture a sound that is pleasing to the beholder. With hi-fi we are trying to reproduce what has already been created faithfully, without any deterioration or added 'effect' - the two are very different. The ultimate hi-fi system does no more than try and recreate what was played by the real instruments and so the most fundamental test is a comparison with the original.

This is somewhat contradictory. If the ear is a capable instrument "to carefully sculpture a sound that is pleasing to the beholder", I don't see why it loses that capability when judging a re-creation of that pleasing sound vs. a creation. A listener who has learned to differentiate the nuances of a great instrument doesn't become ignorant in front of a pair speakers. If a system masks or obscures those nuances who better to make that call?

A couple of points always get lost in the polarization these discussions invite. Engineers in general (BAScEE with 25+ years in an audio industry here) have no, let me repeat with emphasis, NO professional accreditation related to the human auditory process. I checked, my university curriculum had nothing about physiology, masking, thresholds, Fletcher or Munson. Granted some engineers go on to specialize but as a general class, and that means the great majority here, engineering accreditation in an unrelated specialty still makes us dilettantes in the field of auditory perception. Engineers excel at hitting auditory targets, not setting them.

Second, the continual denigration of ‘the ear’ is curious to say the least. It’s the only way we have to experience the results of our work save for those who do it for the engineering challenge. The ear is a tyrant; if it says ‘no’ there is no recourse. It’s a shrewd and not a very bright tyrant though and can’t explain its reasoning. That’s where measurement comes in. However it’s rarely fooled.

Well, one final one related to that last sentence. A century of audio engineering and it seems as if the core engineering field has abandoned even the possibility of recreating the simplest live event. Most of the pure research effort of the last decade or two focused on the glamour fields of practical implementation, lossy compression and such. Audio as a pursuit of illusion is as dead as fried chicken for most of the engineering world, a niche anachronism where every major question on engineering targets was settled in the early Sixties, if not by Bell Labs. Yet very, very few of us go home and tricked by the reproduced sound of even a solo acoustic guitar.
A bit harsh perhaps, but only a bit.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Good post rdf, but I come from the opposite end. I do have a degree in psychology, and I am learning EE on an ad hoc basis. I know how easy it is to fool human perception, and I see little attempt by most posters, on both sides, to appreciate that. A basic understanding that the peceived enviroment is actually made from very little sensory input and lots of making stuff up by the brain would be a start.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
Good post rdf, but I come from the opposite end. I do have a degree in psychology, and I am learning EE on an ad hoc basis. I know how easy it is to fool human perception, and I see little attempt by most posters, on both sides, to appreciate that. A basic understanding that the peceived enviroment is actually made from very little sensory input and lots of making stuff up by the brain would be a start.

Hey PM... you are looking more like a pink teddy bear today.

The posts by rdf & pinkmouse posts clearly illuminate why the fertile ground is in the middle.

dave

pinkmouse said:
Good post rdf, but I come from the opposite end. I do have a degree in psychology, and I am learning EE on an ad hoc basis. I know how easy it is to fool human perception....

Hi pinkmouse. Liking the new avatar! My 'posting from work shorthand' at work again. Only so much detail you can type from the middle of a battle between municipal transit authorities, engineering consultants and tower companies. The intent was 'fooled into mistaking reproduced for live', hence the 'shrewd but dumb'.

planet10 said:

Hey PM... you are looking more like a pink teddy bear today.

The posts by rdf & pinkmouse posts clearly illuminate why the fertile ground is in the middle.

dave

FuchiaRodent:

Would it be more accurate to say that we can be led around by our emotions, and within the twist of that, attempt to masquerade that as a 'justifiable' position in 'logic'? Example: the Inquisition, and all things surrounding it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
KBK

It's complicated, but basically humans seek patterns in their surroundings. Once these patterns are established, correctly or incorrectly, then emotions are produced by the brain in defense of these assumptions.

Anyway, I'm off to make a fried egg butty and then drink beer. ;)

Panicos K said:
phn,that's exactly what I meant.An engineer just knows that people cannot hear cable differences.It's not only what,but how you deffend it tha makes you a flat earther

That's faulty logic. The engineers don't know that you cannot hear any difference, and to my knowledge have never made such claims. The best they have is that there's no science that supports that cables make a difference. That some people claim they do hear difference is not empirical proof.

Nothing I have written makes me a flat earther.

pinkmouse said:
KBK

It's complicated, but basically humans seek patterns in their surroundings. Once these patterns are established, correctly or incorrectly, then emotions are produced by the brain in defense of these assumptions.

Anyway, I'm off to make a fried egg butty and then drink beer. ;)

a very odd childhood pattern if I ever saw one.

Fried eggs and beer. Very Coneistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.