Diyinhk ES9023 $20 on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the simplest DAC I have ever made
very good for use as a fast testing the i2s signal.
the DAC Digital GND and analog GND is connect direct under the DAC, plus star ground, and bottom layer is a prefect solid ground plane etc. the layout should be prefect, many people told it's an un-polish diamond, welcome to share the polish result:p the es9023 datasheet with official schematic is available for download.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

What value / type are there for the capacitors C14 (CN/CP) and C15 (NEG) and for AVCC ? I guess you use PPS film for 4700pF output filter ?

Thanks.

The value used is the same as the official datasheet:p
The integrated charge pump is designed to work and output a specific amount of current. If the (CN/CP) cap is too large, the charge pump can overload and seriously affect the performance. The output filter uses C0G cap, there are preallocted 5mm lead space for diyer to try the popular PPS film cap

Yes, I made another es9023 with 50mhz epson saw xo. Saw xo seems to make fundamental sound stronger and maybe less harmonics so the instrument separate more. But it can work with any 50mhz for sure. I see there are pads for this, but only one regulator - 3.6V ? - so xo will need 3.3V regulator also ?

I know ES9023 can work with 50MHz XO. What I mean is, anyone make this es9023 board on ebay work in Async with 50MHz XO with good result.

According to this pcb layout shown on #4, it may not working good with 50MHz XO.

The datasheet and official demo schematic can be downloaded from the website directly.

Features: #7
7) Extreme diyer can cut the external MCLK trace and uses the pre-allocated universal oscillator footprint space(CRYSTEK957/7050/5032/3225) to install a high quality 50M oscillator for asynchronous MCLK mode.

Yes, I made another es9023 with 50mhz epson saw xo. Saw xo seems to make fundamental sound stronger and maybe less harmonics so the instrument separate more. But it can work with any 50mhz for sure. I see there are pads for this, but only one regulator - 3.6V ? - so xo will need 3.3V regulator also ?

3.3V oscillator can always work at +-0.3V, i.e. 3.0-3.6V. of course, it's already considered, no need to worry!
Anyway, the oscillator official specification can be checked if diyer want to have more confidence before install the oscillator to work at 3.6v:D

BTW, there is even a pre-allocated dedicated external power supply socket for the oscillator in the PCB and an enable pin socket. Diyer can supply any voltage to their oscillator.
This PCB is designed to have as more flexibility for diyer as possibile.

Last edited:
The datasheet and official demo schematic can be downloaded from the website directly.

7) Extreme diyer can cut the external MCLK trace and uses the pre-allocated universal oscillator footprint space(CRYSTEK957/7050/5032/3225) to install a high quality 50M oscillator for asynchronous MCLK mode.

Have you try your ES9023 board with XO ? Can you confirm your board support asynchronous MCLK mode ?

[/FONT]
Have you try your ES9023 board with XO ? Can you confirm your board support asynchronous MCLK mode ?

The first prototype version is tested and it can work with asynchronous MCLK mode
It's listed as a feature in the description:

The circuit is very simple and it can be read from the pcb layout directly
but it's better to read the datasheet in detail before doing any modification or you will fail.

It's the first prototype, there are many flux in the pic due to hand soldering. The mass production version available to public is using smt reflow and it's more clean and tidy.

Last edited:
I saw that the price of this board changed overnight from 20$ to 30$ !
with 10$ more, you can buy a readily made, fully functional board on which you don't have to solder anything, it works in async mode with 50 mhz clock already installed, accepts I2S, it has ferrite bead in clock supply line, it supplies the ES chip with separate 3,6V regulator instead of 3,3V and also the clock has it's own 3,3V reg... quality output caps are also installed
as I see it is a far better design where the external clock is very near to the DAC pins, and also some quality tantalum capacitors for digital decoupling

search for this on ebay

TekDevice Async 50MHz I2S ES9023 192K 24-Bit SABRE Premier DAC 24192 Module

I saw that the price of this board changed overnight from 20$ to 30$ !
with 10$ more, you can buy a readily made, fully functional board on which you don't have to solder anything, it works in async mode with 50 mhz clock already installed, accepts I2S, it has ferrite bead in clock supply line, it supplies the ES chip with separate 3,6V regulator instead of 3,3V and also the clock has it's own 3,3V reg... quality output caps are also installed
as I see it is a far better design where the external clock is very near to the DAC pins, and also some quality tantalum capacitors for digital decoupling

search for this on ebay

TekDevice Async 50MHz I2S ES9023 192K 24-Bit SABRE Premier DAC 24192 Module

Yes, we are moving out from ebay,
The pcb is still 20 directly from our site:D

The TekDevice Async 50MHz is 39,
it's good for people do not want to solder smt oscillator and try async immediately!
but for me, I will use the extra 20 to buy a crystek low phase noise oscillator:p
Are you tekdevice? The short oscillator trace is good:up: but the ground layout is like many antanna to collect noise, I highly suggest adding more via to each ground island, the board will be better

Last edited:
Can I use this dac with the Amanero USB-2-I2S Board? I want a DAC till SUBBU gets his I2S-DAC Version ready.

And is there a BOM for the Parts which need to be soldered on the board? Need to calculate if its worth it.. For 20$ I think it is okay. Are there any experiences from users with this diyinhk DAC?

EDIT: Oh, I missed the 20$ offer! :(

Last edited:
Yes, we are moving out from ebay,
The pcb is still 20 directly from our site:D

The TekDevice Async 50MHz is 39,
it's good for people do not want to solder smt oscillator and try async immediately!
but for me, I will use the extra 20 to buy a crystek low phase noise oscillator:p
Are you tekdevice? The short oscillator trace is good:up: but the ground layout is like many antanna to collect noise, I highly suggest adding more via to each ground island, the board will be better

Pouring copper ground on Bottom side of PCB is not a good practice for all SMD component soldered on Top side.

NO need to add via if only Top side pours copper ground.

Pouring copper ground on Bottom side of PCB is not a good practice for all SMD component soldered on Top side.

NO need to add via if only Top side pours copper ground.

Ground pour is not the same as ground plane.

It is much worse to have single-side that to have double-side pcb with continuous ground plane (for high-speed return current).

If you have ground pour on one side, then it need the via to continuous ground plane on the other side. Via must be carefully placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.