DIYers stay the course - much better value building your own!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is a very nice work. But if it was worth it financially? Considering it took 6 month to build. This is 26 weeks. Let's assume he spent 8 hours per week (reasonable if it was not full time job). So we have 208 hours. Now consider cheap labor rate at $50/hour. This gives us about $10K just in labor cost. You can buy original 802D for $12K and 800D for $20K. If buy 3 yeas old used, can get 40% less than that. And we are not even touching question if these speakers sound better or worth than the original B&W.

I'm pretty sure they will always sound better than the real thing to the guy who build this.

Anyone with enough money can buy speakers. Not everyone can build something like this. His own pride will no doubt boost the listening pleasure ;).

Second hand can be a good bet, I love my Boston Lynnfield 400L I bought second hand for half of the price, I tweaked the treble with the helps of the members here and also with the advise of John the famous father of this line (by pm) (you know the guy who makes the best aluminium driver mid bass for bass players and also excellent own line of speaker ) when he was at Boston Acoustic !

As the 802D it needs big boy amp : I have a Chord SMP 1000 B (second hand as well) : The limit seems always due to the lowest quality of a DAC...

simple but good :

- bass : band pass with back firering double port 35 to 125 hZ (acoustical 2nd order + 1 order electrical) : 2 x 6.5" double spider in push-push !
- mid 125-2600 aluminium with front passive antiresonant system)
- tweeter 2600 - 30 000 with front passive antiresonant system )

PS ; notice the mid is Something full range.... ouf ! On toppic !
treble was a little shiny as they said at Stereophile but after passive notch in the filter around 4.5 KhZ : it's just like a Maggie but with the force of cones in the mid-bass and bass !

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.