diyAudio Logo Competition Draft Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can write a page myself fairly quickly. However, we would need to know:

What is available to script it, such as PHP, ASP (my preference is ASP) or does it have to be entirely client side with javascript.

If javascript, they could make their selections, which would displayed in a frame where they could then hit a button to send the email when they were done.

We have to prevent overvoting somehow, and to authenticate users too. A javascript-only solution would be hard to do this because you don't want the users sending their passwords via insecure email.

Any suggestions -- i might be able to get a ballot page made up...
Any suggestions -- i might be able to get a ballot page made up...

This is something which i have thought off...!!
Since I'm not much into sofware, the idea might be the dumbest of them all..:)

Just as we send update mails, send mails to all in the forum with the link to the logos page....(it might be dangerous as well since many id's would also be dead..and might bounce..well that can also be used to update the database and get rid of those ones)

in the logos page ...Have a simple ballot..!!
arrange all the logos in rows...
have a link by each of them...!! the linked page will just have a page hits counter...!! to prevent multiple ballots from same person, there should be a mechanism to find who is accessing the page...
that could possibly be done by having to prompt for user name and password before accessing the linked ballot page...!!
The hits counter as well as user names can be recorded and later used for processing..say by some perl script or something..!!

You are always welcome to rate this suggestion on a scale of 3...
1) dumb 2) dumber 3) dumbest

:)) :D

ajju

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
geewhizbang said:
I can write a page myself fairly quickly. However, we would need to know:

What is available to script it, such as PHP, ASP (my preference is ASP) or does it have to be entirely client side with javascript.

If javascript, they could make their selections, which would displayed in a frame where they could then hit a button to send the email when they were done.

We have to prevent overvoting somehow, and to authenticate users too. A javascript-only solution would be hard to do this because you don't want the users sending their passwords via insecure email.

You'd need to co-ordinate with AudioFreak on that. I do know the server runs on Linux so ASP is out i believe (no loss in my personal opionion)

dave

I just have more experience with ASP than with PHP.

In some ways PHP is better than ASP. I want to make the switch to PHP in some ways, but I loathe the almost total unfriendliness of Linux. PHP itself doesn't have that problem; it is pretty well documented, but I don't much like the rather snotty/arrogant/lazy terse documentation and uninformative interfaces from so much Unix/Linux stuff.

They often think it is enough to provide a list of command-line switches, many of them case sensitive, and expect you to compile almost everything you install. I know this is getting better lately, but my clients are being served well enough by stuff that isn't so dang hard to figure out.

On the other hand, I don't like dotNet very much at all either. The changes for object orientation are great, but it broke so much of my old code that I may as well move into something that has a real future, because Microsoft has been getting so infuriatingly greedy lately that I wonder if DotNet is going to get any real traction.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
geewhizbang said:
but I don't much like the rather snotty/arrogant/lazy terse documentation and uninformative interfaces from so much Unix/Linux stuff.

They often think it is enough to provide a list of command-line switches, many of them case sensitive, and expect you to compile almost everything you install. I know this is getting better lately, but my clients are being served well enough by stuff that isn't so dang hard to figure out.

On the other hand, I don't like dotNet very much at all either

Maybe time to have a look at Apple's xServes... a lot of the fiddly bits are taken care of for you, you can work at a high level or low level. The servers are a big hit, and the flavour of UNIX is now the most widespread (not at the server level but at all levels combined -- i believe the stat is more installs than all other UNIXs combined)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The xServe is not a price leader but it certainly is good value.

dave

planet10 said:

You'd need to co-ordinate with AudioFreak on that. I do know the server runs on Linux so ASP is out i believe (no loss in my personal opionion)
this site uses PHP and MYSQL on a Linux server. I don't think it has Apache::ASP installed. I personaly prefer the Apache::ASP + mod_perl + PGSQL route and deliver commerial solutions on these technologies. If you factor in cost, then there is nothing more reliable and cost effective IMO.

geewhizbang said:
rather snotty/arrogant/lazy terse documentation and uninformative interfaces from so much Unix/Linux stuff.

hehe, yes it has a steep learning curve involved if you're new to it, but once you understand the reasons for it and the power given by the over complexities, you will tend to think different. Also there is no need to compile anything on linux. It's just an option if you want things tighter, more robust, and more controlled.

Perhaps you can develop the ballot counting page in whatever tecnology (as long as you're able to host it too) and AF can link to it from here?

I don't agree with the linux / unix reasons for the lack of decent interfaces.

The tradeoffs in complexity / usuablity is not necessary. It would be possible to keep the current interfaces but have decent informative interfaces as well.

There may have been some justfication for this terseness back when memory cost thousands per kbyte, but there is no longer any reason for it anymore. Everything should be configurable thru user-informative interfaces. I just don't have the memory capacity to remember so many different configuration possibilities, or the desire to read thru long lists of switches every time I want to do something.

And it is changing, getting better, but this is one area where proprietary software still has a leg up on Open Source.

BTW, Even though I am currently using Windows, that will be probably changing over the next couple of years, as my clients needs change.

I certainly don't have the bucks to buy an Apple server. i just pay a hosting company for whatever I need for my clients.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

But let's get back to the logo list. I am willing to help out with that if you are willing to let me.

I hope I'm not too late. If not, here's my new series of similar logos, 240 pix wide.

Attachments

• da1.gif
    da1.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.