diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Heat eventual problem ???

Thank you mbrennwa for your opinion and experience.

The amplifier is back home and I checked it carefuly.
I run it at 100 W RMS on resistors load (I have 2 x 200W 8 Ohms load for tests) during half an hour or so and then at 40 W for more than 6 hours without any trouble.
No drift at all.
After 6 hours at 40 W output power it was quite hot but in very good condition.
The output DC remains @ 3 mV for one channel and the other one was not mesurable.
I don't know what happened ... If something really hapened ??
Well I shall keep it under observation next week.

I never had issue with the second one I use at home every day and I am very pleased with this really excellent sounding amp.

Thank you again.

Reactions: 1 user
So I've decided to put a list together of cost... chassis are pricey :eek:.....

So If I total all this up... $785 US

Glad I did this...

Would love to build one, but...

Scott

Yes, it's hard to look at the numbers. I have approx. $2500 CAD into mine, and I'm still going. But it will be worth every penny when it's all said and done!

One of the secrets to enjoying this hobby is to never add up the costs to build an amp.
This is the same advice you gave me a few years back, and it makes the process much more enjoyable :).

I've got around $2000 US invested in my Honey Badger. That is with a home made chassis. But it's a 5 ch amp. Now i'm building a 2 ch Honey Badger, and that one will cost around $1400 US. That one is also with home made chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_20191031_120813.jpg
    IMG_20191031_120813.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_20191031_120744.jpg
    IMG_20191031_120744.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_20191031_103312.jpg
    IMG_20191031_103312.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 531
  • 20210926_105321.jpg
    20210926_105321.jpg
    990.3 KB · Views: 531
AudioSan,

Very nice build!

My Badger is a 2 channel system(with MJL4281/4302 outputs) , with a very smart protection system in the works.

I opted for the 5U deluxe chassis, as it looks great, and I don't have access to material for building my own. I'm a little bit behind schedule, but I am shooting for it to be finished before Christmas.

I agree with Stuart. Take a look at the Wolverine forum and you'll find the work of an amazing team which starting from the Ostripper's idea, developed a project which promises a really new level of performances. To be honest, I finished building the Badger few time ago and it sounds really good to me. Nevertheless, I already started collecting the stuff for the Wolverine, it's sooo involving!!

Gaetano.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I agree with Stuart. Take a look at the Wolverine forum and you'll find the work of an amazing team which starting from the Ostripper's idea, developed a project which promises a really new level of performances. To be honest, I finished building the Badger few time ago and it sounds really good to me. Nevertheless, I already started collecting the stuff for the Wolverine, it's sooo involving!!

Gaetano.
Here are some links if you wish to check out or be apart of the Wolverine Project.

Images of Prototype 3

Group Buy - Pre Order