DIY Video Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Undream...If it's not too much to ask I think everyone would be interested if you could post a picture of your projector halh on wall and half on screen. That way we can see how much better the Plas-Tex screens are.

Aleksey.... I think he just used an OHP projector for lighting on his first project. But instead of a projection panel he tore apart a VG150 15" monitor... That is the only monitor I know for sure allows a clear view of the screen. He is working on a much bigger project right now I believe and if I recall he is waiting to diclose some stuff due to pattents or something like that (if I am mistaken I apologize)...But he has contributed a lot of information already to the group.

As far as parts go... once you decide on the panel everything is wide open...just look at all the discussions on lens, fresnels, lights, and reflectors. There is no list of parts, just whatever people mention they are using. I like the VG150 and you would have to ask others for their opinion on them. Everything else just depends on what you want. If you just want to gaze at a 100" screen then just buy a nice Ovation LCD panel and a high lumen OHP. Otherwise you need to just look back at our conversations and decide what pieces you want to try...I will always post what I am doing and what I am using but there is no "list" of parts anywhere.

alesky...I plan on building my projector so I can insert a 17" in the future if I cant ever find a decent 1280x1024 + resolution on 15". However, it just makes everything bigger and longer. Plus...my understanding is you get a better image coming off a 15" screen than the 17" ones that are available today.

As far as using buttons on the LCD to condense the image I doubt that will work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that only works on CRTs not LCDs. The LCD has a predefined number of pixels that are built into the screen. You can not, nor do you need, to adjust the picture on these screens. If you notice any LCD screen you ever look at it will be perfectly square...that is because the light is designed to go right throught each of these "pixels". I hope that makes sense...So...you will need to either get a smaller screen or hunt around for bigger fresnels like I am. I have a 15" screen and I lose an inch or 2 of picture.

As far as removing the mirror from the OHP...YES you can do this. All the mirror does is redirect the image. I did this on my initial setup.

Dave

Chuck:

Liquid nails is just an adhesive. You can buy it at any hardware store. Alternatively, you could use any other kind of adhesive, or adhesive caulking, whatever. I put a line of this on each board, and then set the PLAS-TEX (thats the actual screen, the white sheet), on top of it, adhering it to the wood frame.

Black trim boards on top are merely for show, and to make it look nicer. Plus, they are painted ultra-flat black and will absorb light, hence, making the actual image look even brighter when you have a black border around it.

Undream

Re: question

prjctr_builder said:
what kind of the Overhead Projector should i buy?
does this one look ok?

That is exactly the one I bought. I found it on e-bay (the same one you are looking at), but I decided to buy it from ISI for $150.

ISI:
http://www.invsol-inc.com/

Don't expect to use this projector with a 15" LCD. The fresnel is too small and you will cut off part of the LCD.

My plan is to at least use the light source. If I cannot find a high-quality LCD that fits I will rip out the fresnel and use a bigger one. If you come across a large format overhead projector (bigger than 12" x 12") let me know.

CR

MIGHT HELP

WHEN I WAS WORKING ON THE TV TO TURN IT INTO 100" PROJECTION SCREEN, I TRYED MANY THINGS TO GET IT TO LOOK BETTER BUT I WASNT SATISFYED. HOWEVER I FOUND OUT THAT PUTTING A CERTAN AT THE PERIMETER OF THE PROJECTED PICTURE AT THE PROJECTION LENS WILL KEEP ALOT OF LIGHT FROM FITTING THE ROOM WALLS AND KILLING THE PICTURE ON THE SCREEN.

ALSO MAKE YOUR PICTURE'S BLACK LOOK BETTER. THERE FOR ITS MORE SHARP.

I CUT A RECTANGLE IN A PEICE OF CARD BOARD (PAINTED FLAT BLACK) THEN PUT IT AT THE PROJECTION LENS AND MOVED IT IN & OUT ROUND SIDE TO SIDE UP DOWN ETC. I ALSO TRYED TILTING IT CAUSE THE IMAGE WAS PROJECTED IN A ANGLE.
MIGHT WORK.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT WATER IN A PIPE TO TRANSFER LIGHT TO THE LCD I THOUGHT OF THAT TO DAY

:D :D :D :D

LCD resizing

You can't resize an image on an LCD monitor. LCDs actually physically have a pixel for every pixel your source sends it.

If you have a 15" LCD monitor, that has a native resolution of 1024x768, in order to run it at that resolution, it will never be any smaller than 15" diagonal.

However, if you downed the resolution to 800x600 or 640x480, you *should* be able to make the LCD display only the pixels that the source is sending it. Hence, if you wanted to only display 640x480, the actual part of the LCD that would display it would only be like 9.3" diagonal.

This entirely defeats the purpose of buying a monitor capable of higher resolutions though, and, hence, its pointless. Just buy a LCD Projector panel that has a smaller diagonal, like the Sharp QA-2500 or something.

Undream,
this depends of the panel ! If i take video PAL input ,my 800x600 panel has black borders on all sides. Not all pixels are used! If i go in with VGA i get full pixel activity. but i can tell VGA card to scale what i want. There are also options with DVD and video out. At last i can resize video window at my desire!

xblocker

Chill out dude

prjctr_builder said:
if i go and buy an overhead projector, that is $100, plus $50 for a laptop LCD,and $200 for the controller?!?!? i do not think so!!!
Wiht all the other stuff, this is like a $400 investment,, and this is supposed to be a DIY project??!?!?

Aleksey [/B]

Full-time consideration of another endeavor might be in order.

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.