DIY Project - Nytech CPA602 today ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, there are several serious problems with the schematic. It is strange nobody has commented yet. I presume you found the errors some time ago as the labelling of connections is wrong with 0V to the positive rail, -80V only to the VAS positive, no supply to the output 0V rail, just speaker return. There is no power (conventionally) at all to the input stage! :eek:

Perhaps you can correct that before considering a PCB or modifications to the original.

Hi Ian,

thanks for your comments. This is the reason why I posted it here. I'm only a mechanical engineer .... :confused:

But if this is the onliest serious problem I think I found the solution. In the orginal schematics there is a "+80V REGULATED" and a "+80V UNREGULATED" power input. I think my interpretation that UNREGULATED is "0V" was simply wrong.

ZO1wX.jpg

Se my comments in the right top corner:

If there is no "+80V REGULATED" input, "+80V REGULATED" and "+80V UNREGULATED" must be the same. Is this right?

This will bring me to another improvement opportunity for the new PSU which is still not printed. What is neccessary to implement a "Regulated 80V" supply on the PSU Board?

Another question I have is related to the hand written sketch on the left side: In the schematics the connection of VR1 Pisher is not correctly done. I already corrected it. But is the direction the right one?

What other serious problems are in my transfered schematics?

Regards from a mechanical engineer :confused::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:
The labelling is still wrong, but the schematic is more or less correct, as far as I can see. There is no -80V because the amp only uses +80V, here split between two separate lines for a possible regulated supply for the input and VAS stage. The two 0V/grounds sides are seperated and connect to a single point not shown on the drawing.
Do you find any other faults?

The labelling is still wrong, .....

Do you mean the "0V" and the "+80V"?

... The two 0V/grounds sides are seperated and connect to a single point not shown on the drawing. ...

On the PCB the 0V/Ground are connected directly to the MJ15004. Also the speaker output (LS-) is connected there.

Does it make sense to have connectors for this directly on the PCB?

Here's am small update .....

My first PCB Layout for the PA-Board for the 602's with regulated 81V for the VAS.

TWZ8f.jpg

Left half looks ok for me, right half contains opportunities for improvement. I have to reorganize the components ....

Any further tips to improve the layout are welcome ....

That is true. But consider: This is not a place where "old" british style amplifiers are valued very highly, mostly comments are like "they are not very well designed" or "we can do that much better". And that is because many of the comments were made by people who have little or no listening experience with those amps. Complex star grounding issues for example were never really a subject here. Another example: The Threshhold preamps are praised here in many threads (and they are really good for sure) beeing single ended class A and so on, only Nytech, Naim and others did that since 30 or more years ago, but the people are mocking about capacitor coupling and DIN connectors.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
This is a very nice design. Nothing wrong with it and it should sound pretty good. You may not be aware but there are many manufacturers using this design, with only minor differences. Some have gotten away with the caps and used servos. I like this one in particular as the method used is how Id compensate it.

This is a very nice design. Nothing wrong with it and it should sound pretty good. You may not be aware but there are many manufacturers using this design, with only minor differences. Some have gotten away with the caps and used servos. I like this one in particular as the method used is how Id compensate it.
If you like, step in and let our Brains storm to optimize it ....

I wouldnt touch it, except for component choices, you have some components on your schematic working at or above their rated specs. Why the high rails of 80V ??

This is what the orginal schematics show and the CPA602's are working with 80V.

Which components do you mean?

The orginal 602's I will not touch. They get a new PSU and new Components. MY idea is to setup Mono-Blocks based on this logic .... that'S the reason why I want to improve .....

There is a post on Pinkfish Media about the Specialities of the Nytech & ION Amps: pink fish media - View Single Post - Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

The Author wrote: "There were a multitude of other clever design tricks in the Nytechs and Ions. ... There are other real improvements that can be made to the already well designed Nytech/Ion power/pre amp circuits that do nothing but develop its qualities further. ... What I hope to do one day is design an amp that incorporates all the best bits of the Nytech and Ion amps, and have it all on a single circuit board in a decent case. That would be a winner."

Does anybody know what the clever design tricks are? I would like to do exactly what the Author want's? To include all the good things in a new Amp ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.