DIY progress report

The last time Pass was at CES.

Yes it was...............;)

Attachments

• pass_thoughts.jpg
    pass_thoughts.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 619
If it is a comfort, many of us Euro audio lovers drool over the CES, for some it is the Walhalla of audio electronics.

I remember the pictures of the SA/4e at the CES after its introduction in '89, i went over them with a magnafying glass.
It was not untill the High End show in Dusseldorf in Germany that i got the chance to see the am and hear that wonderfull amplifier in a shop in Essen.
Then i did not have the $ 15.000 to buy one, now i have but after 20+ years of diy audio-ing i'd build one if i ever got the schematic of that tiny circuit PCB instead of buying a 15 year old dream.

But i still remember the SA/4e pictures at the CES in a magazine, how i would have wished to be there.

PS : After observing that profile shot of Mr Pass's pony tail i
believe there should be a law against talented
audiodesigners with abundant hair at audio shows!

Nelson Pass said:
From my perspective, it doesn't matter what shoes you
wear, CES is not a pleasant use of time, and I refuse to
go except on the occasion of the introduction of the
Rushmore, and then it was a case of blackmail. :smash:

So that pretty much answers my question if you were planning on going to the up coming CES show!!!!!

Funny, I have always loved trade shows! TOYZ everywhere! Alas my job never brought me to CES or AES, the shows i WANT to attend! only to NSCA and Infocomm.

Zero :birthday:

Active Crossover

I just read up on a number of threads, including this one.
At the presentation at PassDiy i downloaded and read Mr Pass's current source crossover paper.

Like Metalman i started DIY for obtaining a well sounding audio system on a low budget, it became an addiction instead of a sideline.
Over the years i built class A headamps, opamp and discrete pre's, fast opamp fed Mosfet power amplifiers, hybrids with tubes and Fets, forced and watercooled, batteryfed pre's and power's, (re)built turntables, it started with a simple pair of loudspeakers.

Anyway, unlike Mr Pass, i have difficulty with parting from my creations.
After reading up on the Rushmore it dawned to me that i would like to activate my well preserved homebuilt dynamic loudspeakers.
This week i started with Susan Parkers Bass speaker, she was so kind to place the construction GIF on her homepage after i asked her if she approved of me copying her speaker design.
Though primarily for combining with electrostats i wondered how it would do in an active system.

For this i would need an active crossover filter.
With quad Aleph's and a singleended preamp i thought an active singleended crossover would be nice.
Mr Pass mentioned an active crossover in this thread in 2002, is there still an active crossover in the Pass pipe(o)line ?

Question for Mr Rollins :

As this is the DIWhine thread and you are the leading Californian whino.
This year again i am the performing Christmas chef.
Last year i had the Australian Shiraz champagne at Christmas.
I had the Petrus Pomerol, had the Chateau Neuf du Pape, did the Trocken Beeren Auslese in Austria while cross country skying.
I spent several holidays in les Landes and the Acquitaine, i think i have had every label of the Route du Vin.
To my view the future of whine is in California, though personally i am not a Zinfandel guy.

Maybe you have a suggestion for a Californian treasure us Euro bunch can savor at Christmas days ?

If someone is interested in LT1028 opamps, i still have a rail of 50, originally intended for an active crossover for activating the 'Wasserwerke', dont think i will be using them.

Last year i had the Australian Shiraz champagne at Christmas.

Though I have never met an Australian Shiraz I did not like, the only authenticly labeled Champagnes hail from Champagne France.

Now I know the Ozzies have a toung in cheek humour as expressed by "Goats do Roam" a poke at "Cotes du Rohm" no doubt, but simply using a Title or variation of does not make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Anthony
:) :) :)

Australian Shiraz Champagne?....I think not-- perhaps you enjoyed what we name a "Sparkiling Shiraz" of which we have many varieties- and the one I've tasted at least do not lead to to think of sow's ears.
The term Champagne is not used for our locally produced drop which may owe something of their style to the wines produced in that region.
Champagne comes from Champagne, Sparkling Shiraz (serve chilled) comes from about half an hours drive south down the road, or about an hour to the north, perhaps a bit more or less to the east (who cares - it's worth the drive)
I heartily recommend any of the fine Aussie wines for the increased enjoyment of any fine electronics.

try http://www.wirrawirra.com.au/

"the residents of Curly Flat are not very good at describing the construction of their wines, but after a few glasses they are most eloquent at describing how it makes them feel"

If it originates from the Champagne region it is Champagne.
Bullocks !
Eberyone knows what is meant by Champagne, a Moussé can mean just about anything.
Accurate would have been a Champagnoise.
I understood the Aussie sparkling Shiraz i had is produced with the Champagnoise procedé, for me it is Shiraz champagne.
I have even been to Champagne region a few times, i was not impressed.