DIY progress report

Nelson Pass said:
I like the name, and hereby lay claim to it as the price of
doing it.

How many of you out there are afraid of directly rectified AC
lines?

MuuuuuHahahahahahaha.... :devilr:

And so the name shall be!!!

There is/was a company that made movie theater subs called Kinetek, they had a big old dual 18" sub with a plate amp built in that directly rectified the AC line. no transformers! about 500 or 550 watts i think. The rectified the AC to DC, then used a transistor to derrive a center tap....something odd like that...

It worked however the amp design was horrendous and liked to blow up anytime a large AC compressor or ice maker would power up!!! Promptly connecting one side of the AC line directly to a pair of 18" subs! YEAH BABY, 120VAC RMS into a pair of 18" subs = a VERY VERY LOUUUUD but short lived 60HZ bass note!!!!

I used to work for a company in Dallas that service Movie theaters, and we ended up yanking all those plate amps out when they blew and just using the sub cabs with a big QSC amp!

OHHHH Come on man, quite teasing us im DYING over here, whatcha got, whatcha got MANG!!!!!!!

How about a sneak peak at those schematics eh???

Or maybe, just give us a short list of parts we need to start collecting eh???

If it would help, I could fire up the 850Ci and make it from Minneapolis to Forrest Hill in what, 20-24hrs? as the V-12 flies? I would be glad to help assemble, test, haul, hold, lick my fingers and stick them in an outlet if need be!!!! hahahahaha.

I can put you in contact with the folks that sold me my big toroids. +/- 60Vac is good for what? +/-85VDC@ 1KW!!!! they might have 16 of them left!!!!

Holy crap, 16Kva WahOOOOohahahahhaha now thats an amp!

Zero :cool:

P.S. maybe we should call it the "ID Killer???" to be more thematically correct???

+/- 60Vac is good for what? +/-85VDC@

I think you are off a bit ;)

I bet he is looking at a single supply 120v rectified = 170vDC. BRIDGED!:att'n:

YOWSERS!!

I'm no authority, but.....I would recommend fully insulated binding posts in this application....or maybe 240v outlets and plugs for the speaker outputs. Also, maybe a double insulated chassis a.k.a. Milwaulkee Sawzall. The 'on' indicator will not be a L.E.D...we will use a jacobs ladder (how we will get rid of the noise I have no idea). The power switch will be a double pole 60A Square D industrial breaker wired with 2 ga cu.

Am I close?:xeye:

mpmarino said:

I think you are off a bit ;)

I bet he is looking at a single supply 120v rectified = 170vDC. BRIDGED!:att'n:

YOWSERS!!

Am I close?:xeye:

I was refering to my Big 2KVA Toriods i just got that are awaiting an amp project.... There Big 35lb 9"x4" Medical grade Isolation transformers, Quad primaries at 100, 120, 200, 240v and dual 120V 1KVA secondaries. I will be running them on the 240V tap off the 120V line to develop dual 60V secondaries, rectified that should be about +/-85V DC. thats what i was refering too!

I paid $70.00 each for these. you could run them direct 120 to dual 120V

Zero

Here is my progress report..

Attachments

• jasonl-alephconcept.gif
    jasonl-alephconcept.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 712
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Netlist said:
I wouldn't be too sure about that.
Or perhaps he's just teasing us mods a bit.

Well, I am teasing, but I also have a serious point to make,
which is anything that powerful is every bit as dangerous
with a transformer as without. Almost invariably these things
have high voltages referenced to Earth ground, and in that
sense they are no different from the wires coming out of the
wall socket.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, it's been done before, and I once did it for a CES show
with a pair of Stasis amps that should have managed 4 KW
into Martin-Logan Monoliths. All through the show, everyone
was afraid to touch the volume control, but when the show
was over, we opened it up to see what would happen. You
couldn't stay in the room with it, but nothing broke, which
surprised me.

(Wish that I had kept that pair)

Those who are asking for a parts list need to consider the hard parts first:
Heatsinks.
Getting transformers is trivial. Laying hands on sufficient heatsinks is going to be a real nuisance--especially if ten or twenty people start making a run on whatever is available via the surplus houses at the same time.
Even if Nelson decides to go class D (possible, but not probable), you'll still need heatsinks.
At the moment, I'm on the other end of the scale: A 2W amp. Not to mention my ongoing love/hate relationship with crossovers (currently a tube design for the mids and tweeters; still solid state for the woofers and subs)--if the time gods are kind to me (ha! like that's going to happen...) I'll finish the prototype tomorrow. Anything with filters in it (phono stages, crossovers, etc.) makes me crazy. I end up with thirty-five different topologies I want to try, knowing full well I don't have the resources to do more than two or three at most.
Sigh.

Grey

Heatsinks have not been a problem. I have found enough nice big thermalloy units like what is used on the Older Classe brand amps that should be sufficient for anything.

Capacitors has been another issue. I have some for testing, but not enough for my future amp project...But, those will come along. i can wait till then.

I was teasing a bit asking for a parts list. Mr. Pass could have sent back a teaser reply with a bunch of resistors and capacitors listed that would be general enough for anything!

Zero