DIY progress report

The speaker wires are already installed (new house) and all run to entertainment cabinet that backs up to laundry room. They go from laundry room to wall box to ceiling locations. So the easy answer is to set the gain to not clip at max cd volume and use in the wall box multi tap imp transformers.

nonpussy would be a person who is not a pussy.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Updated schedule:

12 not-application-note Chip Amp Examples completed.

Article, "Current Source Amplifiers and Sesitive / Full Range Drivers" is out, www.firstwatt.com and an abridged version will
appear in AudioXpress shortly.

The KleinHorns. You've seen the pictures. Article to follow in
Sept. with dimensions and more information.

A Lowther DX55 project and a Lowther DX4 project this year.

probably 1 more Zen Variation this year, and that project will be
complete.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Application Notes are information which the manufacturers of the chip amp publish to help engineers use their products.

It means that most chip amp circuits are the same or very similar as the circuits suggested by the manufacturer in these Notes

Nelsons use the chips in quite different ways. Do they sound better or worse? Not too many people have bothered to find out.

One problem is that to make Nelson's circuits the person has to know a little somethin about electronics to figure out values of components and such. Also people would have to THINK!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Quote:
One problem is that to make Nelson's circuits the person has to know a little somethin about electronics to figure out values of components and such. Also people would have to THINK!

Your last line is not a fair statement. Atleast, the tonality is not fair. :whazzat: Not everyone is a topologist.

V~

Maybe there hasn't been an overwhelming response to Nelson's GC Supersymmetry articles, but I for one have become quite obsessed with getting one up and working. I just stopped posting my progress as I worked out several problems, most of which are of no interest to anyone here. If luck runs my way I should have some good news about a working version to post later today.

So Nelson, I count 6 miniarticles you've posted relative to chip-amos, when can we expect the next 6. Curiosity killed the cat and all that ...

Attachments

• gc susy in progress.jpg
    gc susy in progress.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 463
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Atleast, the tonality is not fair. Not everyone is a topologist.

I couldn't topologize my way out of an anti-static bag:D
I can only rote copy other's designs

BUT, It seems to me that Nelson likes to leave some projects for the more advanced folks to work on- partly because it appears it's a bit of work to get everything right . (he is quite generous with hints though!) Iwas hoping to goad some of those clever, educated guys into doing it! My stratagy might not pay off.
Maybe Metalman will save us- hs name sounds like a super hero!

Am i right in concluding that the in the case of the GC Zen-Aleph 1a schematic, the Chip amp is
being used as a constant current source only? If so, what effect does this have on the efficiency
of this amp? Would it be better than the 20% of the original Zen amp? Would that be one of the
main advantages of using a chip to provide the CC? Or am i WAY off base! :)

(sorry if these posts should be elsewhere and not in the DIY progress report thread.
I guess they could be cut out and put into the 7 Easy Pieces thread)

Sorry Variac, you're going to have to wait a little longer for this hero to come to the rescue. Following the whole chip amp ethos, I have been building voltage regulators using the LM338 IC and then blowing them up with transient inrush currents. I made a last ditch attempt tonight to implement a slow turn on circuit with them, but these little IC's still weren't up to it.

Nelson, you win! I'm going back to building discrete regulators for this project that won't be so fragile. Now if I could only find more time.... Don't worry Variac, I'm slow but ridiculously persistent. I'll get you there yet.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
System of the week

Last week I mounted Lowther DX4's up in the KleinHorns
and gave El Pipe-Os a nice black paint job and put them in
the middle. Then I put some TAD PT-R9 ribbons on top.

The pipes are low-passed at 18 dB/oct at 22 Hz, the Horns
are single pole at 60 Hz and 8kHz, and the TADs are 2 poles at
10 KHz. The system measures +/- 5 db from the listening position
from 20 Hz to above the MLSSA's range. The Lowthers and TADs
are powered by 10 watt F1's and the pipes are powered by an
Aleph 30.

Just thought you'd like to see the system before I take out the
rack in the middle and put in the 50 inch plasma.... :cool:

Attachments

• klein-pipes.jpg
    klein-pipes.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 630