DIY progress report

What ever happened to the mega monster pass amp??? I WANT THIS!!!

Nelson Pass said:
Since you ask, I would be happy to do a 1+ KW class AB
monster, just the kind that Kilowatt is always talking about,
but with circuitry simple enough not to frighten you big macho
guys. ;)

It seems to be surfacing from the Id. Are you sure you really want a monster amp?

I Most CERTAINLY would like to see something like this!!! But i would really like to build a 400 watt @ 8ohm Class AB NP design!!! or something that could be scaled from 200 to ??1K watts.

I agree, One has to suspect that he already has this amp designed, and he is just holdin' out on us!

You bet. Unfortunately, I feel compelled to actually build them before publishing the design...

????? What are you waiting on man???? hahahah!!!!

I have been waiting for such a thing for a very long time! Something good and clean!!! Something great for driving subs, but clean enough to be used full range for those power hungry audiophile speakers! (which i unfortunatly own! But love!)

I have been considering the Holtan AV800 but i have some questions about the design. i would MUCH rather build a PASS!!!! Come on now, this has to be something you could do in your sleep right?

No fancy design needed, just a simple, high power, clean textbook type AB design with the Pass touch!

I just got a monster pair of 37lb Medical grade +/- 60vac Toriods just waiting for the "right" design!!!!

c) What kind of monster amp do you want? There is a surfeit of possibilities.

Mosfet outputs, scaleable from 200 Watts PC@ 8 ohms to ???? 1Kw (i would like to build a 400w@8 ohm amp). Single ended or balanced inputs. Class AB with the possibility of running Class A.

I think it should be called "ID"!!!! YEAH!!! :eek:

Zero :cool:

We are DIY.
We are fearless.
We (at least some of us) have worked with tube circuits and think nothing of 575V rails. We (at least some of us) have even been zorched by those self-same rails and lived to tell the tale.
On the other hand, there's no reason not to do an X-400. See Petter's X-100 thread and scale it up.
Me? I'll take a super sound quality, lower power unit any day of the week. That's not to say that I have forgotten days when I would have killed for an amp the size of Nevada. Just kinda went beyond that.
Of course, things go in cycles, so I may find myself needing a Mongo-sized amp at some point in the future.

Grey

EDIT
P.S.: Of course, one could always get in a subtle jab at a certain company who shall remain nameless and call the circuit:
Monster From The Id
(For those who don't know where this is going, see the movie Forbidden Planet)

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thank you leader for bringing back the Beast With A Million Watts topic.

Bring it on! What bribery can I offer you?

How about a nice B-Movie style illustration - something with lots of sparks flying and unworldly proportioned women in distress?

Winter is coming and this would be the perfect project!

Open up Dreamland. Break out those skunkworks schematics.

I'll be waiting by the Area 51 black mailbox:darkside:

In the meantime I will be remote-viewing Passlabs for clues.

Mike