DIY Ottawa winter 2013

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes indeed, see the photo below. Dave's speakers were powered by the bamboo amps on saturday, and I agree that it was a good match - IMO. Thank you Vincent for making me discover Peter Gabriel's "New Blood" :).

Attachments

• DSC_0315.jpg
    DSC_0315.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 397
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dave's wonders. A sealed box design featuring the W4-1720 Tang Band 4" mid-bass and the Vifa D26NC55 tweeter (unfortunately discontinued). Impeccable in room tonal balance, and many other qualities - too many to list here. The crossover is the result of clear design and voicing goals, thorough measurement of the drivers, and extensive simulation.

Attachments

• DSC_0317.jpg
    DSC_0317.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 368
Joined 2004
Paid Member
HI All,
For everyone who asked me about my Ikea Bamboo L15D Amps, here's a link to the latest version of that board (and the reseller I used) LJM- L15D-Pro.
MrSlim's amp in their bamboo cases. The three picture shows how little space they use; closeup of one of the channels; and the separate box for the supplies. This amp barely got warm and sounded pretty good.

Attachments

• DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_0332.jpg
    DSC_0332.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 151
If I was going to do it again (and in a single box) I might got this route:
Sure 125 Watt x 2 or Sure 250 Watt x 2, since they look to be much closer to the IRF reference design for their 2092 chip, and include the over/under Voltage and DC protection, and are a better price (and I believe Sure makes a good product)

For the extremists in the crowd(and you know who you are) Sure even has a 1500Watt version

This is the power supply I used, and it would be sufficient for the L15D's or the Sure 125x2 boards, but I would go with The 500Watt version for the 250W Sure..

Finally for the Extremists, you could use this 2000Watt power supply to build 1500 Watt Monoblocks for less than $500 a piece if you use reasonably priced cases and connectors..

I'm retracting my earlier suggestion of the Sure Products.. I read on another thread that their 2092 based products have poor reliability..

Shout outs are in order

John (Mr Slim), thanks for bringing the amps and the generous give aways. Listening to these end of Sunday, I'm convinced there's gold in those little boxes. Some really great imaging happened with the Mercury Living Presence rips.

Vincent, thanks for the all the music. I'm just getting into it now but I think you'll like Mark Andre Hamelin on Piano (Marc-André Hamelin), a great Montreal born classical pianist.

John, thanks for the swing CD. Here's a link to Ray Condo, a country swing favorite around our place. And he's from Hull! RAY CONDO & HIS RICOCHETS Shout Sister Shout - YouTube

Pierre, thanks for putting this together! Your vinyl rig sounded glorious, I need to upgrade my cartridge.

Owen, thanks for the wonderful collection of gear. BTW, I found my keyboard. :} Anytime you want to measure the lines, let me know.

Tyler, thanks for the generous PCB, I thought your rendition of Owen's headphone amp sounded great. I'm placing an order this week for a pair of SRH840s to go with this eventual build.

It was great seeing everyone. I've had a few requests for the plans for the little speakers. Let me look into whether I can get this web hosted. I'll post the design once that's sorted out.

Dave

PS Mark, thanks for...never mind. :) Just kidding, sorry you couldn't make it.

Dave I didn't come because your speakers worked and mine were in pieces.

And I was calling them really good names ( not your speakers )

I have put a curse on the Italian manufacturer of the drivers. Something evil is going to happen to the molding system that creates the baskets.

Should have them up and running in a few days. My company is off to New York state with my folks. And I'm driving my Uncle to his nephews this morning. Tme to get back into the shop.

They be back on Thursday.

So seriously.

When they are done, and they look and ( Should ) sound glorious, Who wants to be second to hear them?

Auditions are possible. I have to measure and tweak them, then when that is done I get to ship them over to a certain dude named Anthony.

Anthony will be looking for a new apartment soon, so anyone willing to help him find a place with very thick walls, well it would be appreciated.

Besides the listening and looking at members' builds, this sort of event is a great opportunity to talk to other members & learn something.

One conversation that I happened to overhear concerned speaker design, and I wasn't the only one to overhear - a small crowd gathered. However, not all of you did know this was going on. Dave was throwing out more information than I could absorb, and mentioned that he'd made a PowerPoint presentation. Yes... this would be the presentation he was going to give at our previous DIY, but something or other caused it to get "bumped"; it should be shared:
software

- Ron

Ok... I got interrupted before I properly finished my last post (#171), and ended up losing my follow-up post while I was still in draft. So who knows what I'll be able to get posted this time:

We might still want to get Dave to do his presentation at another DIY, but I thought that we've got about a year to wait, so should be ok to look at the study materials in the meantime.
In case the link causes/becomes a problem, I should mention that it can be found by searching for "Charlie's Audio Home Pages" (a site that Dave recommends strongly)
Charlie's Audio Home Page
and then go the "software" page to find Dave's presentation.

Of course, I also liked the little MDF box speakers & I took some notes, but would like to get more details. We know that the tweeter is nla, but Parts Express recommend an alternative... don't know how well that one would work.

Minimus 7 comparison was a good exercise. It is obvious that I should upgrade my stock 7's.

(more posts to follow) - Ron

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Besides the listening and looking at members' builds, this sort of event is a great opportunity to talk to other members & learn something.

Ron - It is funny you should mention this. I was thinking the same. Perhaps next year we could set aside some time for participants to present their "next project." It could be a sketch, or just a verbal description. I think this would generate good discussion and be fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.