DIY Ottawa winter 2013

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't usually figure out my next project until after the event is over. Now that it's over, my next project is Franken-shiga... you'll have to wait to see what that entails. I have the CD mechanism out, the 4 capacitors and inductor removed and I'm just waiting on a couple of resistors and a capacitor before I'll be able to test the digital out.

How many attended?

Mark's question was posted a while ago. I know that I have some info from last year (somewhere), but can't seem to locate right now. In any case, I'll do my best to cover some administrative stuff in one post.

As usual, we get quite a few people who attend both days. Last year, however, there seemed to be quite a few more who came in on Sunday (vs. Saturday), so I figured that pattern would repeat this year & decided that I would just collect "fees" on Sunday. That way, I collect a fee & the name then goes "in the hat" for the giveaway draws (which we do on Sunday).

This year, there were a few "drop-ins" on both days (probably < 5 each day) who didn't stay long (& I didn't collect from them). The "core" # (i.e. those who stayed for a long time on Sat &/or Sun) was about 15 guys this year.

One other administrative note is about "hours". This year, we didn't have the hall for Saturday morning & that was ok. We did have it for Sunday morning, but there were not too many people showing up until the afternoon (I know that I was not there until mid-morning). However, Pierre was there "babysitting" the hall & our equipment - very nice of him... he's the first to arrive & the last to leave. So for next year's get-together, we might have to re-think our Sunday morning hours &/or find a way to give Pierre more flexibility.

- Ron

Hi all,

Given interest from several people, I'll try and pull the design files together this weekend and post it as a new design here on diyaudio.

If there's interest next time, I'd be happy to walk through those slides with a live "how to" on the PC as a side session.

I wouldn't mind hearing more from Owen and Tyler on that headphone preamp design as well, it's a good one.

John, can you recommend a good place to pick up a protection board for the class D amp?

Also wondering if anyone can recommend a good reasonable cost remote based motor drive for pots. Next project is to wire two wire wound pots (remote driven) up to the 845 preamp in a nice little box from Homesense.

Dave

Hi all,

Given interest from several people, I'll try and pull the design files together this weekend and post it as a new design here on diyaudio.

If there's interest next time, I'd be happy to walk through those slides with a live "how to" on the PC as a side session.

I wouldn't mind hearing more from Owen and Tyler on that headphone preamp design as well, it's a good one.

John, can you recommend a good place to pick up a protection board for the class D amp?

Also wondering if anyone can recommend a good reasonable cost remote based motor drive for pots. Next project is to wire two wire wound pots (remote driven) up to the 845 preamp in a nice little box from Homesense.

Dave

Since there were three John's at the last meet, you're sure to get an answer,but I'll pipe up.. I'd probably go with This one from Along

Funny you're mentioning a motor drive, I was thinking something like that would be nice for those 10turn wirewounds you were raving about.. Can you post the Part number for them(the wirewounds I mean)

Last edited:
One last sneak preview before heading back there for Day 2. These "timbits" look like computer speakers, but trust me they didn't sound that way. Drivers are Vifa TC9 in a tinny ported enclosure.

Pictures from the smaller room, Dave's "wonders," Vincent's speakers, and class-D amps to appear soon :).

I apologize in advance if this has been covered but there are a lot of pages in this thread and I didn't go through them all. Who's speakers are these 'Timbits' and are there any build details anywhere?

David

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi David,

No apologies needed! They were not covered in any detail here, so you didn't miss anything.

The full plans, measurements, crossovers and box design are here:

http://www.vifa.de/bausatz/starter/kitPC/BVStartAirKitPC.pdf

They are all in German, but google translate makes short work of that.

I have some personal measurements done in an anechoic chamber and they are attached. All measurements are done with calibrated HW at 2.83V and 1m.

Overall, response and distortion are both excellent for such a small full range design. My only complaint would be the slightly peaking LF response, but it actually helps a little bit seeing as such a small driver doesn't do a whole lot below 100Hz.

I really like the way they sound, but unfortunately I missed the audition with these, so others here will have to comment on how they did in a much larger space :)

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• THD Ratio all harmonics.png
    THD Ratio all harmonics.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Level -_ Smooth zoom out.png
    Level -_ Smooth zoom out.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Level - off axis.png
    Level - off axis.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 298
  • Distortion Product Ratio 2nd.png
    Distortion Product Ratio 2nd.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 298
  • Distortion Product Ratio 3rd.png
    Distortion Product Ratio 3rd.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Distortion Product Ratio 4th.png
    Distortion Product Ratio 4th.png
    74 KB · Views: 91
  • Distortion Product Ratio 5th.png
    Distortion Product Ratio 5th.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Distortion Product Ratio 6th.png
    Distortion Product Ratio 6th.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Distortion Product Ratio 7th.png
    Distortion Product Ratio 7th.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 73
We heard these around the same time as the modded Minimus and the Napoleans, and it was a very large room for the timbits, so they didn't make much of an impression on me. I've heard lots of good things about the drivers, though, and a pair played sitting open on my desk sounded promising. That would, I think, be an appropriate place to use this design.

Owen, it looks like the coil DCR in the German PDF may be switched?
L1 = 0,22 mH Luftspule Cu 0,71 mm R ca. 0.50 Ohm
L2 = 0,47 mH Stiftkernspule Cu 0.71 mm R ca. 0.25 Ohm

Solen has good prices on the inductors (20 gauge, so 0.813mm). $2.75, $3.83 respectively.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.