DIY loudspeaker vs. factory built loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yep.
most designer test dozens of drivers to find the best for said enclosure.
I know harbeth tested 50 different version of their radial midbass. and then theirs the crossover work that takes month and years to perfect for even the best designers in the industry with decadess of succesfull speaker design and experience.

Hi,

Thought I'd check back and see how you're doing. I see you're confused on a few items, but that's OK. FYI: I know a fair number of speaker designers that I've worked with over the years and I've seen many crossovers designed in a few hours, then tweeked for several days more and been very successful. Those days and years you mention don't provide a great deal of confidence in any designer at all.

I have several friends that have Harbeth Speakers in their systems and they are excellent sounding speakers. However, that has a lot more to do with the drivers than the crossovers. Harbeth typically use fairly simple crossovers which is an advantage that having excellent drivers (that don't require heroic efforts) to achieve excellent sound.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi,

Thought I'd check back and see how you're doing. I see you're confused on a few items, but that's OK. FYI: I know a fair number of speaker designers that I've worked with over the years and I've seen many crossovers designed in a few hours, then tweeked for several days more and been very successful. Those days and years you mention don't provide a great deal of confidence in any designer at all.

I have several friends that have Harbeth Speakers in their systems and they are excellent sounding speakers. However, that has a lot more to do with the drivers than the crossovers. Harbeth typically use fairly simple crossovers which is an advantage that having excellent drivers (that don't require heroic efforts) to achieve excellent sound.

Best Regards,
TerryO
hi

Care to share the names of the successful commercial speakers that youve seen been designed within days?

As far as I know, the harbeth radial mid is very good, but they use fairly cheap SEAS tweeters.

Last edited:
hi

Care to share the names of the successful commercial speakers that youve seen been designed within days?

As far as I know, the harbeth radial mid is very good, but they use fairly cheap SEAS tweeters.

Actually the cost of a driver has very little to do with the sound and the actual manufacturing costs usually aren't very different.

As for Commercial Speakers being designed, I won't go into brands. I've also seen drivers being designed from scratch for very well known Companies within a couple of hours.

I don't believe it would be ethical for me to name names, other than to suggest that you have probably heard of them.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:

Best Regards,
TerryO

Simple crossovers! Do a google Image search for harbeth crossovers. In all the pics I've seen harbeth crossovers look anything but simple.

Last edited:
Hi ,

What are the material cone of the Radial midrange Haberth uses please ?

Why "radial" word btw ?

I'm asking myself how it sounds in relation to the flagship concentric driver of Kef with BASF cone material ?! I just heard the Blade II and mid was natural while the treble was a little closed but non fatiguing for this aluminium cheaper version !

Do you remember fellow this little american two way which had no high pass crossover for its mid ?

Hi ,

What are the material cone of the Radial midrange Haberth uses please ?

Why "radial" word btw ?

I'm asking myself how it sounds in relation to the flagship concentric driver of Kef with BASF cone material ?! I just heard the Blade II and mid was natural while the treble was a little closed but non fatiguing for this aluminium cheaper version !

Do you remember fellow this little american two way which had no high pass crossover for its mid ?
Ive heard the kef ls50 many times. to me there tonality isnt good enough. much prefer the radial drivers.

Harbeth HL5plus is a three-way with obviously LR4 type crossovers. Price is 6695USD/pair and look at xo components and enclosure+fillings...Harbeth Super HL5plus loudspeaker | Stereophile.com
515harb.inside.jpg

615HLS5fig7.jpg

the enclosure is bbc.

but of course, measurements will tell you how a speaker sound.

Last edited:
YKY, any idea of the material of the "radial" cone : sort of polypropylene or metal ? coated paper ?

Radial is just the cone shape ?

The little Kef is just a 1000 bucks spakers, I'm sure there are a ton of better 2 ways on the markett (Devore, etc...) ! For the price I will be more interrested by the JBL LS32 three way (should sound as clear than the kef but better for close price ?)

No one heard the Yorkville Unity U15 in passivve setup ???

Last edited:
YKY, any idea of the material of the "radial" cone : sort of polypropylene or metal ? coated paper ?

Radial is just the cone shape ?

The little Kef is just a 1000 bucks spakers, I'm sure there are a ton of better 2 ways on the markett (Devore, etc...) ! For the price I will be more interrested by the JBL LS32 three way (should sound as clear than the kef but better for close price ?)

No one heard the Yorkville Unity U15 in passivve setup ???
RADIAL is an injection-molded composite of a polymer with hollow glass microspheres embedded in it. The RADIAL patent explains that the key is to treat the surface of the microspheres so that they bond to the polymer. If this is done properly, the result is a light-weight but stiff material with optimum loss. Theoretically, it performs well as an absorber of unwanted excess acoustic energy while not suppressing minute sonic information.

Harbeth RADIAL v. other cone materials ...

the jbl lsr32 cannot touch kef ls50 imaging

Simple crossovers! Do a google Image search for harbeth crossovers. In all the pics I've seen harbeth crossovers look anything but simple.
indeed!

Harbeth P3ESR

Last edited:
Can a good DIY loudspeaker compete with a factory built speaker when it comes to sound quality? I am tempted to think so, but others say that the DIY enthusiast can never build a speaker as good as a professional could.
For example take a look at the Wilson Watt/Puppy VI. The drivers used are available on the DIY market. Why would we or would we not be able to build a comparable speaker in terms of sound quality?
Another question comes to mind. Are custom made drivers, ordered by loudspeaker system companies from known loudspeaker driver companies, of a higher quality than the ones those companies sell on the DIY market? Also, are self-designed en built loudspeaker drivers from companies like B&W (for example for their top of the range Nautilus 800) better than the ones available to us, DIY’ers?

Hi,
Since i desing my loudspeakers especialy for their dedicated final listening rooms... i think it is interesting !
There is no commercial loudspeakers that can compete with DIY ones witch have each parts selected and designed to deal with the specific strenghts and flaws a room.
DIY is the best... by far.

Hi,
Since i desing my loudspeakers especialy for their dedicated final listening rooms... i think it is interesting !
There is no commercial loudspeakers that can compete with DIY ones witch have each parts selected and designed to deal with the specific strenghts and flaws a room.
DIY is the best... by far.

I agree with Silverprout! ;)

We have had many competent speaker builders here in the Pacific Northwest (British Columbia, Washington and Oregon) turn out some really great speakers. The fact is that there are a lot of professionals around the area as well. My theory is that it rains so much that people stay indoors more than other parts of North America!

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'm not sure how you would define better. From what I've been reading recently I would probably consider controled directivity better, which is almost the opposite of the Nautilus. I'm really impressed by the design concepts that Amphion (Amphion Loudspeakers) use.

Anyway, for something that is constructed like the Nautilus see the link below.

Colaboración: ODISEA 1

The Nautilus are not controlled directivity, but they are fairly constant (omni) directivity due to tiny baffles per driver used in each driver's omni range. The limited bandwidth of each contributes to what I assume to be a very low distortion loudspeaker (within the limitations, primarily, of the LF unit).

Problem With This "Good" Speakers

In several big audio shows, Linkwitz's speakers have been demoed along with other super expensive commercial speakers and many thought that the Linkwitz's DIY speaker is one of (or even) the best...

Commercial speakers tend to be better designed but with lower quality drivers. So low quality drivers and high quality design (i.e. commercials) versus high quality drivers and low quality design (i.e. DIY). In general, design wins over drivers, hence, commercials win over DIY...

But the PROBLEM is, nobody has a clear idea of what a "good" speaker is :D

There are too many tastes.... and there are too many bad ears... And if the knowledge is bad, it is impossible to compare speakers in different non-optimum (or non-matching) systems...

The Nautilus are not controlled directivity, but they are fairly constant (omni) directivity due to tiny baffles per driver used in each driver's omni range. The limited bandwidth of each contributes to what I assume to be a very low distortion loudspeaker (within the limitations, primarily, of the LF unit).

The "Bad Person" is back! Long time my friend, hope you've been well. Jeff, are there any new projects that you'd care to share?

Nothing new at my end I'm sad to say, other than rusting away from all the rain.
:D

Best Regards,
Terry

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.