Paid Member
right after this :rofl: :

Attachments

• Great_Fire_London.jpg
    Great_Fire_London.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,145
Joined 2009
Paid Member
considering that you need certain amount of Iq through them ( even using '550) - it's hardly wise to make another power amp in disguise :rofl:
:clown:

Hi ZM,

O.K. I begin to understand better now, what you mentioned, I looked at the diagrams. The Iq needed for the 550 to work properly would be higher than 100 mA I suppose ....... that is what you meant with "Power Amp". And what Nelson says in his soft way I had to consider upping bias.

But I suppose the SK2013 (Juma uses) could be more suited, correct...?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

But I suppose the SK2013 (Juma uses) could be more suited, correct...?

correct ; they're more suited if you're counting on lesser needed bias for fancy shmanzy sweet spot , but only comparing them and 550's in exact circuit will tell ;
Problem is that we don't have curves for low current region for these critters , so - it's hard to predict anything "from paper"

but I know that you're already grown DIY-er , so I have no doubts that you'll spend afternoon or two on that dilemma

;)

tip : I saw somewhere schematic of Be Yamamura's WOT preamp , made with Toshiba mosfet :clown:

The F2's that I have updated with the JFETs need the
following changes:

R6 = 47k

C1 = 10 uF

Z1 removed

The potentiometer must be re-adjusted for minimum
distortion at 4.5 watts (symmetric clipping) and readjusted
after an hour.

The distortion results are typically a reduction from about 1%
at 1 watt to .25%.

:cool:

Hi,

I dropped in couple of SemiSouth 120R100s today into my DIY F2 clone, and with mods recommended above. I hooked it up and the bias (voltage at Gate of SS 120R100) is at 2.9V. I adjusted P1 back and forth and the voltage does not change much, hovering around
2.8V- 2.9 V. What could be wrong? :confused: It seems to play music fine though. The current source Mosfet (IRFP9240) seem to run a little hotter also. Anybody has any idea ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi,

I dropped in couple of SemiSouth 120R100s today into my DIY F2 clone, and with mods recommended above. I hooked it up and the bias (voltage at Gate of SS 120R100) is at 2.9V. I adjusted P1 back and forth and the voltage does not change much, hovering around
2.8V- 2.9 V. What could be wrong? :confused: It seems to play music fine though. The current source Mosfet (IRFP9240) seem to run a little hotter also. Anybody has any idea ?

Measure at Drain pin (center) to ground point on schematic.
If bias is too low here <10v, I would replace pot with 10k, instead of 5k. Or replace R4 with a higher value.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for the help. I measured at the Drain of the SS and was able to adjust bias voltage to about 12V. It sounds great now ! One question remains is why the new SS is not running as hot as the old IRFP that it replaces?

Not sure, but I had the same issue, could only get it to 10-12v.
I am considering changing the resistor pair here to get a little more to the drain.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Not sure, but I had the same issue, could only get it to 10-12v.
I am considering changing the resistor pair here to get a little more to the drain.

I changed R4 to 3.32K, able to bias up to 16v.
I still settled for 12V, seem to agree with the heatsinks a bit more.

I also tossed the Peter Daniel boards because I was getting hum, and built another set point to point on some perf boards.

I let her run in for a full day. I used silimics on input, and as a bypass on the 15000uf output cap.

Hooked it with a 10R-10uf across speaker outputs, the 47rs are omitted.
This gave me a favorable sound I liked.

although the soundstage wasn't perfect, what I got was some real spooky inner detail, on strings, and depth of location of instruments. Apparent speed of the cones was equally good.

The 4-5W can present some limitations of dynamics, but I was really impressed by the tone of the amp, and it's precision. The sweet top-mids and highs are very impressive on the R100.

I ran this on a lowther in an open baffle, When I can get around to it, I want to see how it does on a smaller 4" full range speaker in a simple bass reflex enclosure. This will give me some idea of the low end on this beast.

Keep in mind, these are my impressions, on my clone, other users may see something else.

Newbe F2 build

Hi,

I am new here and would like to build F2 (thanks tea-bag for JFETs). Would somebody be so kind as to summarize all main points of building F2 - e.g. components types/sources, initial debug/tuning, etc.? I am planning to buy boards from Peter Daniels, but it would be good to have some starting info in one place - it would benefit other people as well.

What is idle current of this amp? Is there a possibility of powering it with batteries (e.g. Lithium polymer - 24V/10-15Ah pack)?

Also, anybody tried using it with Audeze LCD-2 (50 ohm)? Do the load resistors need to be changed for this from 15 ohm to 50 ohm?

Thanks,
Vladimir

P.S. I have some basic electronics knowledge (i.e. soldering/assembling somebody's circuits, maybe some tweaking), but not an expert in amp design.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi,

I am new here and would like to build F2 (thanks tea-bag for JFETs). Would somebody be so kind as to summarize all main points of building F2 - e.g. components types/sources, initial debug/tuning, etc.? I am planning to buy boards from Peter Daniels, but it would be good to have some starting info in one place - it would benefit other people as well.

What is idle current of this amp? Is there a possibility of powering it with batteries (e.g. Lithium polymer - 24V/10-15Ah pack)?

Also, anybody tried using it with Audeze LCD-2 (50 ohm)? Do the load resistors need to be changed for this from 15 ohm to 50 ohm?

Thanks,
Vladimir

P.S. I have some basic electronics knowledge (i.e. soldering/assembling somebody's circuits, maybe some tweaking), but not an expert in amp design.

Vladimir,
Can you PM with some specifics you might be looking for? I can give you recommendations.