DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

decky said:
Absolutely correct! ..and even better - it works as long as you provide a stable 5V supply of around 0.5A. You might have issues with some drives. I tried a Creative Labs that did not work properly but Acer 52X that I am using now works as a charm.

Great. I also have a JVC EZ51 transport kit coming to me for a higher end CD player build, but this will be a nice way for me to add a CDP to a console I am refurbishing. I have an Asus 48X with SPDIF output that I'll try and I want to find a Pioneer slot loader for a better integrated build. Thanks for your help.

decky said:
Here is my implementation. Acer CDrom in a case of an old Technics Cd player, directly coupled with a modified DAC-AH (passive out). PSUs with LM78xx regs, Nichicon caps, 4 transformers, 5 separate power supplies. MUR860 diodes, some heatsinks ...

CDRom is supported on 4 rubber mounts.

Pics of the remote? And what model is your Acer drive? Thanks,

-Justin

The remote is a minimalistic piece of shIte - but it works. It allows you to select tracks by numbers and engage repeat function. Nothing special.

The CD rom model number is Acer CD52-MG0. I do not think that this is so important. I think you might have issues only with units that already have control buttons of some sort (like the Creative Labs that I tried).

It allows you to select tracks by numbers and engage repeat function. Nothing special.

I assume you talk about the DIYclub.biz unit?
Not quite that minimal.
It allows you to also dim and turn off the display screen, has fast forward and reverse., skip, pause and stop, tray open and close.
You can push fast forward and hold for a few seconds, and contrary to other setups the controller only counts seconds elapsed in fast forward/reverse. You then have to press "play" again to jump to the elapsed time indicated.
Pushing fast forward/reverse just for a short moment, jumps to the next/previous track.

It is at least as sophisticated as the control on my micromega stage 2.

Luckit IDE/DSA Controller

Hello,
  this si my IDE controller module designed in summer of 2007 (please excuse photo quality).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's not DAE as many of us may expect! It was builded to control all kind of CD-ROMs with P-ATA interface and DSA compatible transports like L1210/65. Anyway, now I have higher expectations from this module and, unfortunatelly, the hardware/schematics doesn't support what I want. Because of that, the firmware will remain as is, with basic cd-player functions like Play, Pause, Next, Previous.
  Regards,
  Lucifix

I've build the lucifix controller with old cd-rom the controller work bed
my.php

my.php

my.php

support antivibration for cd-rom
my.php

CS8416 and CS4344 for DAC
Tha work is not finisch

Hello,
 if your controller works bad, try to do this things:
  * minimize the wire's length between the uC and the LCD.
  * use bypass/decoupling caps on the LCD Power supply.
  * try to reduce crosstalk... isolating the LCD Data/control lines.
  * be careful what type of infrared receiver you use.
  * connect the ATA/IDE cable at both ends.
  * use different CD/DVD-ROM units. Not all of them works the same.
  Best wishes,
  Lucifix

diybiz unit runs CD-ROM at hight speed?

Hello,

I have tested the diybiz controller with a Sony and a NEC CD-ROM (both 52x).
The CD spins at high rpm and the sound from this is unacceptable.
I have looked thru this thread but could not find a hint how to solve the problem.
As there are some of you that also use the diybiz controller I would like to adress the question to you if you have the same problem or if I just have to use a different CD-ROM (which one?).
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Josch