DIY CD drive based on a computer CDROM

are there any DIP package audio DACs that i can get as samples from anywhere? if not, ill have to get some SM. :dodgy:

has anyone started building anything? are the phases posted by gregorx acceptable? can we re-draw the block diagram for phase one and start on that?

is the output on the back of my CDROM (seperate from the IDE connector) digital or analogue?

Re: another link

mgb said:
Have you seen this side,

Already a controller with display.
Not sure if the software to control the display is already finished.

http://private.addcom.de/KeithWilson/Projects/mucop.htm

MGB

i was just looking at this site again, and it seems to be exactly what i want, exept the DAC. i may built a prototype if this project does not pregress quickly, as i already have a PIC16F877, so i only need about 20 other components, resistors etc. i will exclude the amplifier section. any thoughts?

You'll need a decoder and a whole host of other hardware and software. I've seen a standalone hard drive based MP3 player project and it was quite extensive, alot of effort involved. Wouldn't be much different for a CDROM based solution.

As far as DIP packaged sample DACs, I haven't found any yet and I would be really interested if anyone does locate any. PCM1710's aren't that bad as far as soldering though, I've almost got my technique perfected. I also haven't got my samples from Crystal/Cirrus yet, but its only been a week and a half or so. Anyways, hope that helps.

I've been reading this whole thread, and can't help but wonder a few things:

Why not use something like a micro ITX board and a commodity CDROM drive and then just design a USB transport to get the audio data out? The motherboard + CPUs are like $100/ea in small quantities. You'll very likely end up saving a ton of time and money. Also, it takes a lot of the guess work and hocus pocus out of the equation.

You can grab any number of CDROM drives, use something like EAC, and get exact, bit for bit identical copies of the audio data. If you don't believe me, try it. Rip WAV versions of the tracks, and hash them with MD5 or SHA1.

You can still easily do the rest of the interface (LCD) etc. easily.

The reason I see why I would not go the ITX way is:

1. Noise induced by the computer PSU and motherboard.

2. Space taked by the motherboardw ill be bigger that what we will come using a specialized solution.

I see that it will simpler to use a ITX otherboard, but that remove the fun from building no? ;)

I'm strating to design the case and gather the aluminium to build it in advance that the design of the pcb is completed. I will build the simple PCB already linked in the forum to control my DVD-Rom drive and use the analog output (yes I know it suck but this is just temporary) and replace the PCB with the diyaudio complete solution.

Francois Gregoire

schmad said:
I've been reading this whole thread, and can't help but wonder a few things:

blaat

You can still easily do the rest of the interface (LCD) etc. easily.
It's always easier to buy a PC, but do I want another PC? I already have 6 PC's here, I think that is enough for some time. And it's a lot more fun to build a CDP with only a uC and a drive.

Some people said that we should go the easy way by just using the S/Pdif out of the CD-drive and a uC to control the functions like play. What is the use of that? We want to build a descent player here.

DJ has drawn a great plan I think.

Gents -

After alot of research, I have come to a conclusion regarding the power supplies for this project. The recommendation I am extending to anyone interested in building a world-class power supply is to study the design of a member on this site, ALW. His design is a revision of a revision of a revision which appeared in a magazine years ago. It has about 5 man-years and no telling how many UKP sunk into it. If you read some of his posts, you will see that even though he does not have an engineering degree, he is an electronics master. I hope one day I will reach a level where I can make a contribution as significant ALW has.

You can see ALW's site here ...

You can also check out this site which may be of some help ...

This thread should also shed some additional light on the subject ...

I hope everyone finds this solution acceptable :goodbad: