diy bybee quantum purifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Placebo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a lot of things that make or are presumed to make subtle differences in tone, sound stage, or what have you. Some may, some may not.

There are a lot of things that make large changes in "perceived" and actual sound quality. These include, just as an example: voltage, which can be affected by many external factors and is dramatic; volume, which is different every time we move that little knob and is dramatic as our ears are logarithmic interpretive devices; acoustics, wow does that affect sound both real and perceived; ambient noise, my house just isn't that quiet...darn baby.

Even if the Bybee or any other fancy device really does help, it's impact is small as witnessed by the fact no one can really agree definitively that it does anything at all (see link above).

I would thus argue that they should be reserved for the elite and wealthy auidiophile who may have a system and listening environment where these marginal effects might be heard and are appreciated in a visceral if not auditory manner by an interested hobbyist and have no useful place for the usual of us, because our time and money are better spent on basic solid and fun stuff with good fun to cost ratios, and besides, our stuff still sounds great and produces wonderful, very high quality and listenable music to enjoy.

If we get to play it at all...darn baby ;-)

I have taken the Bybee devices apart, myself, and found different materials.

Same here, here's a sample:

521061182_4dbe6b2e29_o.jpg

This kind of reminds me of something i saw on a TV programme in the UK years ago (could have been "tomorrows world" or something similar). A male hairdresser of all people came up with a formular for a ridiculously high temperature plastic that wouldn't melt or burn with a propane torch on it :confused:

Much as that sounds absolutely mad it was/is apparently true. Can't find any info on the stuff though, or the the guy in question, no idea of a name for the chap either.

I guess he called it Unobtanium :D

& there was me thinking of using these quantum purifiers for output resistors in an amp.... Until i saw the price of them :rofl:

Event Horizion, these devices would NOT be a good device for output resistors. Not only are they too expensive, but they are not designed as output resistors.
While the early units had up to .3 ohms resistance (the ones that I use with my WATT's), the later (last 10 years) units are .025 ohms resistance. Virtually useless for output resistors. Also, the working resistor is INSIDE the ceramic shell and it has some heat problems if very high continuous current was applied. As far as cost is concerned, Jack Bybee has to open the sealed component put the resistor inside, drill micro holes for the resistor leads, and then solder the device back together, WITHOUT overheating the body of the conductive surface on the ceramic form. (I can prove all this.) It is not easy or fun to do. That is one of the reasons it is so expensive.

Last edited:
Hi again,
I consider a threat to sue, after posting what is after all an opinion, and with the James Bond reference obviously not a serious opinion, interesting:D
Having re read some of the available information I have the following questions:
Having disected the device in question. how did you determine the chemical composition of the material in question! Mass Spectrometer!
If you look say at Ferroxcubes site, there is some interesting info on MnZi, NiZn and other quite often sintered compound, quite often used in frequency dependent oxidised iron based fired clay inductive type cylindrical shaped tubes, a usefull tool in EMI suppression etc. is this not a similar material?
And finaly if it was classified we wouldn't be discussing it, yes?

Hi John, you don't need to prove anything to me chap ;)

I was just messing a little bit with that last statement i made, someone linked to a review & there was mention of 0.1ohm resistance, a tad low for what i need but only just.

As it is i'm going to be using 120 emitter resistors in 6 amplifiers so i guess you can see why i was laughing at the price ($38,400) ;)

You like the Tiny Tots do you? I prefer Beryllium myself, give me the midrange & treble of NS1000M (correctly set up) any time.

Sorry to go off topic, back to quantum purifiers...

Bests, Mark.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.