DIY Audio Analyzer with AK5397/AK5394A and AK4490

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nikitas
This interface is 1/2 the price of a Lynx Hilo which is the closest commercial device. It has a better input circuit and can be used for measurement or recording.

You could use Jan's interface but you still need a soundcard or a QA401. None of these are cheap.

Couple of questions.

1. On the first post, ADC is noted as 32-bit, is that a typo? The final product is using a 24-bit ADC.

2. Can the input be connected directly to an electret measurement mic without an additional mic preamp? How about the 48v phantom supply needed by the mic?

trying to find out if this unit can also serve the purpose of loudspeaker measurements.

thanks

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can add a is phantom power supply but its not part of the current spec. Its effectively a really good usb soundcard so it should work with most software. There are no 32 bit adcs or dacs. There are dacs with 32 bit processing which is a value. I'm not sure how Jens ment to describe what he built.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Joined 2009
Paid Member
@kevinkr
Sorry, no definitive date yet. Long lead time components are in progress.

@diyaudnut
1. It seems like I forgot to update this. I started out with the AK5397, which is a 32 bit converter. But you are right, the AK5394A is a 24 bit converter. The DAC is a 32 bit converter.
2. There is no phantom power supply. You could use an external phantom supply. For most microphones you probably don't need an external amplifier.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unless you are using a really low output mike you should not need a preamp. The typical ECM mike is approx 5 mV for 94 dB or 50 mV for 114 dB. The ADC in the box has as much as 120 dB dynamic range so at its max input sensitivity (100 mV I think) You should be fine with the noise floor at an equivalent to -2 dBSPL or more relevant, 40 dB below the self noise of the microphone (if you are lucky, usually the mikes are noisier than that). The input noise will limit that but its still below the microphone.

All you need is a simple phantom power interface. I would get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...-e661-5184-9490-71a0c291599a&pf_rd_i=11974571 which is priced near the parts cost.