Distinction-(TDA)1541 Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, cool : it is 0805 case size ! perfect size for the Distinction-1541

I didn't see it at Mouser where I bought my parts... Farnell here is more expensieve than DIGIKEY or Mouser...

Well new information for all : you can find PPS caps of the good size at Farnell.

PPS & Acrylic caps have exactly the same characteristics... so make your own shopping...

Thanks AudioHIFI

any ref for those EI ?

Hey NZ is worst than Australia... you have no kagourous but golem, dwarfs, hobbits, magicians with white beards everywhere (here our Young people have black beards but by fame or exactly by Oedipus complex... and at the same time shave all elswhere... not so goods for hobbits, wookies, bears... do all the sheeps in NZ are shaved but keep a beard? Here in France it's only the pigeons (= suckers in french). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6p-Act9DhU.... The other day I talked with a Young in a family diner... he believed John Lenon singed "Free as a beard !"....I only answered it was a song from ZZ Top and he had not to believe everything ! .... You know the frenchs and the English speaking....

I think Audiolapdance says as T. it's better to go for shunts with tl431 as he said in the anygood TDA1541 kit thread. But the layout has to be good for the flowing of current... we hope it's good enough with the Distinction but we had no testimonies of T. with our result but hope we applied the best we can his kind and free advices in the best traditions of DIY (thanks T. if read us)

Hobbits are not the problem, its just cold, at least where I live:( I lived in London for a couple of years and got bombarded with sheep jokes, they were plastered over my NZ calendar in my cubicle:)
I have used TL431, and I like them, they are easy and effective. I also trust T, he has a lot of experience with this chip.

Hi Johnny,

We talked about it already here and there.... Unfornatully they have anymore Evaluation pack and they certainly don't go for a new batch under 100 pcbs...

You can do it point to point and matched IS SK170 are sourcable here in the DIYAUDIO shop if my understanding is correct ! Surely the best Q/P for a good I/V, maybe need also a buffer ? BF03 ?
You have also the whit paper of Pedja Rogic about a stage with BC550C also : near as good as the OPA861 (but need certainly a good layout... point to point is too risky here!

The SEN with a good decoupling should be ok : they advise iirc 200 uF x 4 , you can look for also bigger values with a 2.5 mm pitc between legs with a voltage cap near or equal to the needs of volatage rails : try e.g. 4700 uf + 1 uF; the 1 uF could be a 2.5 mm pitch Wima MKS2, or a smt : Panasonic SX, Acrylic Cornell Dublier... try & error gave you the good answer in relation to the tonal equilibrium you like !

I saw some use bipolarized chemical like Nichicon ES... but don't sure it is correct for the safety ! ask to more skilled people than I for that !

Sure you could try but believe also the experience of people who have more experience like T. Loesch (30 years of experience with tubes & TDA1541) . On first post you can find a link where tubes stage are discussed. look also at the begenning and end in the TDA1541 good kit thread.

Use also search motor for older thread about TDA1541 & tubes : a lot of posts.

If beginner, avoid tubes... dangerous and can be costy ! good already maid kit at Glasswares internet shop.

Lampizator kit

hI Edam,

Clearly i have to do more reading (I was just hoping for a PCB design to keep it simple for a novice like me:D) but i must read up on the info you provided, so thanks for that,-- also there is Mr. Lampizators kit solution that we could try??

thanks
Johnny

After 20 years experience with TDA1541 output stage I can really recommend the Lampizator kit with mini tubes. They are great sounding! Take care for the power supply: use rectifier tube only, no diodes.

Any Dac buffer PCBs ?

Thank you Eldam

I have read some of Thorsteans work ( luv the the AMR CD player ) and his adigaggo DAC , so a good solid state IV stage with a PCB seems to be what I need then to stop my fingers getting burnt:D, off to look at what Nelson has and hey my crayons out to collage to attempt a PCB ( or learn to use pcb software?)

Thinks its all about implementation hence I wish I could afford an audionote DAC4 kit:cheers:

Thank you for you're input sir.

Johnny

Lampizator

It depends on what you want. If you have a 1541 DAC already, spend some time and money and you will have a wonderfull musical DAC.

I use a simple 22 Ohm I/V resistor only at the DAC output, followed by a small step-up transformer and ending with the Lampizator mini tube. It is absolutely wonderful sounding. It has been judged by a valued high-end shop as sounding far better as mfr's DAC at 2- 3 kEuro. So that seems a fair independant listening!

I experienced with several tube and solid state output's over the years and with and without step-up trafo. The step-up trafo is the music maker but need to be followed by a high impedance circuit, that's what I experienced. The mini-tubes provide the needed high impedance circuit ( do not apply the resistance input divider as Lampizator do).

These mini tubes were my last big improvement and sound far better as my previous designs. So, stop talking and start building! For the step-up trafo you can use Sowter transormers.

Status
Not open for further replies.