Digitizing vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some reason I speak direct drive circuits passably, but most of the rest is beyond me. I found and have been using this guy's flat balanced MM pre: Pro Audio Design Forum • View topic - Phono Transfer System.

It's small enough I can get away with ~6" of cable from the arm and tuck it behind the 'table.

From there I use a Tascam DA-3000 for AD and to record, and have an OpenDRC-DI (miniSHARC in a box) hanging off the SPDIF output of the Tascam for EQ. No complaints.

That circuit is an instrumentation amplifier. I guess the op-amps could be cheaper than a THAT 1512, but with the op-amps you can roll to your hearts content. I think our collective idea is to basically roll all that into a ~$300 box, don't know if that can be done.

Vinyl digitizing

The status of CoolEdit 2000 is in limbo, it's not clear anymore that anyone cares if you download it from a piracy site. I can't get my copy to record from a USB device and really get 24 bits anymore anyway. A few folks got surprised by this, examination of the actual data showed 8 trailing zeros. Same with Audacity in many(all?) cases for different reasons. None of the devices or the software reports any errors.

Wow...that is a problem...I've been using Sound Forge with the MAudio M-Track Quad which outputs 24 bit 96K properly, and to my ear sounds very good. As you know it is a bit of a fuss to fully folderize an LP with metadata, but this approach is sonically excellent.

The one-box approach makes the Sugar Cube approach that much more attractive...

Cheers!
Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
WXYC Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 89.3 FM

I did not say take it and forget it but it's a heavy undertaking for a great number of the problems targeted here.
digital RIAA equalisation with all the advantages of it + noise filtering all included.
It could serve as a model of how to organize a possible solution

Ciao, George

We need to be careful CEDAR is a professional tool with way more horsepower than needed. It is intended for serious restoration of highly compromised recordings. Just look at what Mark O. Thorne has done (I think for Naxos) with old 78's. He has also posted a lot on the whole process, and he's a Brit with only one middle name so he's OK.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The status of CoolEdit 2000 is in limbo, it's not clear anymore that anyone cares if you download it from a piracy site. I can't get my copy to record from a USB device and really get 24 bits anymore anyway. A few folks got surprised by this, examination of the actual data showed 8 trailing zeros. Same with Audacity in many(all?) cases for different reasons. None of the devices or the software reports any errors.

Lots of reasons why local DSP makes sense in this application. Software you don't own or control can be quite a quagmire. Even some of the well established open source projects get boring and fall into disrepair.

Frex seemed to get good 24 bit results from Audacity here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equi...o-adc-project-ltc2380-24-a-6.html#post4879044
But it may have been on Linux.

RE cost- The AK5394A is $22 at Digikey. The ADAU1452 is around $17. (One piece pricing.) The rest including PCB, opamps, crystal oscillator etc. could probably be less than $40. For a short run (100 pieces) it could be done as an assembled PCB for less than $100. Add an aluminium case and power supply (silent switcher?) and we are probably still under $200. That would be $1K at retail in most channels but scale would drop the cost be a factor of 2 to 4. Still I think this would be a good Kickstarter effort. If open-sourced maybe we can get others to do the useful enhancements like other EQ's and correction solutions.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just look at what Mark O. Thorne has done (I think for Naxos) with old 78's. He has also posted a lot on the whole process, and he's a Brit with only one middle name so he's OK.

Not just “look”! One has to experience it for to comprehend what you are talking about.
Amazing (it takes more than using advanced technology to do this)
:cheerful:

George

Attachments

• Callas Aida.JPG
    Callas Aida.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 271
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.