Digitizing vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know how ADI feels about broad access to the Sigma Studio software. At that stage we do need some software wizards.

The powers that be have always waffled on that. My feeling has always been sell chips so empower more people to use them. The current situation is in flux to say the least. I don't think this aspect will be a problem the SHARK can run Linux the rest is essentially open source.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good. I'm sure a lot of audiophiles are chomping at the bit to use the flanging effect. . .

Its powerful, flexible and not that difficult with help but supporting users with it would be a PITA. Maybe a limited version could be built from the original that supports just what it needed here.

A digital noise suppressor, it is possible ?

Perhaps many remember the suppressor DBX clicks and pops.

Of course, in those days there was no digital technology and analog media of the time, served its function.
Although the sound was overshadowed by a veil, quite audible for trained ears, I think it was better to listen in this way and not the torture hear a violin or other instruments altered by one or more high-frequency clicks or pops

With the advent of bits, and by programs like Cool Edit Pro or similar, any of us can achieve excellent results with vinyls, eliminating all those obnoxious noises. Of course, keep the frequency spectrum and dynamic range is the fundamental premise, but with some practice it becomes quite easy.
Question :
Why in the digital environment it is not manufactured to DBX or others similar device with a specific program to remove these noises? We know that a scratch on the vinyl groove produces a snap that has its own characteristics!

We see it on the screen when we operate the program clearly, but work to go all the musical theme eliminating one of these peaks is very cumbersome and ended up leaving her job ..
Why not do it in a pre-programmed chip that works in real time?
It is a very silly idea? What would be the problem or hurdle to overcome ?

Something that eliminates noise vinyls digitally and in real time.

Sorry for my English, I hope the idea is understood...:eek:

Noise and click suppressor for vinyl?

Last edited:

Attachments

• Dehisser650.jpg
    Dehisser650.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DHback650.jpg
    DHback650.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 263
Vinyl click and pop removal

I disagree, using time domain statistical measures such as short term crest factor variations seems to work much better. From my research (and certainly you know better) many of the complaints came from trying to remove too much of the crackle.

For sure Scott, when you are processing a master, if you concentrate on one aspect such as a click too long, you end up with a bias toward too much reduction and the resultant fidelity suffers. I have no experience with newer techniques, and am really interested in hearing how well they work

...I don't think for personal archiving to digital many folks are doing LP's with large amounts of crackle in addition to scratches. Did you see my plots of ClickFix in that mode? His infill algorithm is quite amazing. I've done a reasonable amount of testing (in scan the whole file mode) with it and when viewing what was removed I did not notice false hits...

I do not use Audition nor Cool Edit, I usually work in Sound Forge these days so I cannot audition ClickFix, but would love to see your plots of it's action!

I'll tell you where my mind is right now: due to my work history I am really over the task of taking a s#!tload of time transferring vinyl, but would love to have a more automated way which didn't ruin the fidelity. Acquiring the metadata and tracking in addition to painstakingly reducing noise pretty much totally kills the joy for me, so I end up just listening to a lot of vinyl. I took a look at that Sugar Cube box (thanks for the link, billshurv!) and if it worked half as well as it seemed to and claims to, I'd buy it because it automates a lot of that process. After having said that I now have to confess that most of my vinyl collection will not show up in their fingerprint database, although probably some of the more popular stuff should.

I've been using the Auralic Vega D>A for a year now and I am really happy with the sonic performance, so if I can just get vinyl into 96/192K/24 bit (storage is cheap) without massive massaging of the resulting files I'll be happy.

Cheers,
Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
WXYC Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 89.3 FM

A modern instrumentation amp chip would be a much better solution.

For some reason I speak direct drive circuits passably, but most of the rest is beyond me. I found and have been using this guy's flat balanced MM pre: Pro Audio Design Forum • View topic - Phono Transfer System.

It's small enough I can get away with ~6" of cable from the arm and tuck it behind the 'table.

From there I use a Tascam DA-3000 for AD and to record, and have an OpenDRC-DI (miniSHARC in a box) hanging off the SPDIF output of the Tascam for EQ. No complaints.

Vinyl NR

Cedar is hardly a newer technique though. It's at least 25 years old and big ££££

Thanks for the repost! For sure the reconstruction in the first link is pretty amazing on a sine wave. I'd love to see what it does with source a bit more complex. If it is that good I may have to invest in Cool Edit (I despise Adobe, even though I use InDesign/Acrobat Pro/Photoshop all the time).

Correlation between channels is another technique which can yield good results, and I think the Packburn employed that.

Regarding CEDAR, I'm sure they have updated their algorithms since I used it, but as I remember in general it, like many other digital fix tools leaves a dull thud after taking the higher-frequency components out. That agrees with Scott's comment regarding spectral-based approaches. I do, however, have a different experience with ultrasonic triggered reduction than that of baseband derived reduction.

Great topic!

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
WXYC Chapel Hill, North Carolina - 89.3 FM

If it is that good I may have to invest in Cool Edit (I despise Adobe, even though I use InDesign/Acrobat Pro/Photoshop all the time).

The status of CoolEdit 2000 is in limbo, it's not clear anymore that anyone cares if you download it from a piracy site. I can't get my copy to record from a USB device and really get 24 bits anymore anyway. A few folks got surprised by this, examination of the actual data showed 8 trailing zeros. Same with Audacity in many(all?) cases for different reasons. None of the devices or the software reports any errors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.