Digitizing vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SY can comment on the balanced bit. I've wired up my tone arm to be balanced (4 wires + shield) but never built the balanced preamp. I wanted balanced (diff) to feed an ADC, so agree that's the practical solution.
EDIT: Did not see SY's post above.

@Jan. Where would you stop the feature creep? How far do you think this should go?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think because of flexibility concerns, most internal tonearm wiring is twisted pair anyway, shielded by the metal of the tonearm.
That's what I've seen in every tonearm I've looked at. That's not a high number, of course.

Often there is a metal tab that connects one of the negative pins to chassis ground. That has to be removed for balanced wiring.

After hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours preparing masters for replication, my conclusion is that the main problem with the software approach is due to it inability to distinguish HF program content from HF impulse noise.

I disagree, using time domain statistical measures such as short term crest factor variations seems to work much better. From my research (and certainly you know better) many of the complaints came from trying to remove too much of the crackle.

BTW there is a limit to how much work it is, I once did an LP completely by hand one at a time via repeated listening and individual 3rd order spline interpolation. It took 4 nights to do 1 album side. I don't think for personal archiving to digital many folks are doing LP's with large amounts of crackle in addition to scratches.

Did you see my plots of ClickFix in that mode? His infill algorithm is quite amazing. I've done a reasonable amount of testing (in scan the whole file mode) with it and when viewing what was removed I did not notice false hits.

IMHO the worst tools are those that work in the frequency domain exclusively. The lost information is sort of a brick wall phenomena.

Yes, no feature creep!

BTW I lay out a mean PCB if that would help.

Jan

Even just going under the base and rewiring for differential voids the warranty and turns a lot of people off. I don't understand one thing, all the TT's I have seen (not that many) were trivially rewired for differential, sometimes the cart had a clip though. Even that U-turn starter TT has a little board with header pins under the tone arm that are easily rearranged. Grado's will drive you to differential.

I feel the most added value over what is out there is the tick/pop removal so I would not move forward on any real work until the feasibility of that is established. If you think about it, take the pre-amp and the two-step IIR in miniDSP and your done. The same with SoX and your done for free.

So for now a nice MM/MC pre-amp, FET in so one size does both with a simple gain switch that could also be head shell mounted (?) is a good bet. A question for those that know more than me is there a standard for the cart pin that gets grounded when there is a clip or connection in the TT? I would propose that the most universal solution would be to use one wire on each channel for ground and Vs and the other as single ended outputs since your pre-amp is low Rout the differential out is no longer needed.

OT - I lost my star, have I been bad? :confused:

Welcome to Sugar Cube are trying to bring a product to market with the declick, but oddly you still need a phono stage (or cleverly depending how you look at it). Can't find any info on the platform they are using.

I'll bet I get more metadata not found than you. OTOH how that works is scary, I just bought a new laptop with it enabled and I put on something and the cover appeared (pretty obscure old LP).

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Shure V15 Right negative pin

Attachments

• WP_20161106_006[1].jpg
    WP_20161106_006[1].jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 276
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Traditionally (since the late 1950's) stereo tone arm connectors were 5 pin DIN compatible connections. Outliers were always there (AR?) but most did work that way. If you did not remove that ground clip on the cartridge you could get a hum loop if the cartridge body had a metal connection to the headshell. Keeping the shields isolated from ground on the phono cables was critical.

If you use DSP in a PC that gets simple but becomes a software project for the non-adept.

In either case you can get enormous flexibility in EQ and other corrections. If you have a suitable test record you could correct for azimuth and channel balance as well as frequency response. You can also have a complete table of pre-RIAA corrections to draw upon.

While a good preamp could fit in a headshell the ADC's and support electronics are not there yet. The chips that would fit are in the 100 dB SNR class.

I would push for a PCB with everything including the DSP. SPDIF out (no drivers) ports for external clocks should sync be needed and a port for the DSP control interface. If the hardware has the flexibility going inyou don't need to use it but its really hard to add it after the fact.

A seperate board for the DSP interface to USB would give lots of flexibility. I don't know how ADI feels about broad access to the Sigma Studio software. At that stage we do need some software wizards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.