Digitally controlled preamp/headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
anbello said:
Hi Brian and Russ thanks for your answers,
for Brian:
same noise with no source
for Russ:
- with input shorted to ground near no noise, only some click when i move the pot between ~ 90% and 100%
- i use the input buffer withe the 100K resistors to GND in my kooka

I am thinking your kooka is fine.

It sounds pretty normal, as mine does the same thing. :) Dead silent, but you will get a very slight click on volume change up of the very top of the PGAs range, as you say in the 90-100% range. There is no such thing as "perfect" zero crossing. As even though the signal may be at zer there is still a switching machanism that still must occur, that s what you are hearing.

As a test, just to be sure the zero sense pin is being driven you can run a 1K resistor from +5V to pin #1 of the PGA (ZCEN) but as I just tested this, I can tell you there will be no difference. :D

You have found the weak spot of virtually all digipots/vol controllers.

Actually a lot of stepped attenuators also can have similar behaviour.

Happy listening!

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks for your words Russ, now i think there is nothing wrong in my kooka
but i fear i have found another weak spot of digipots:
for some defined postions in the volume on the top of the PGA range the click noise becomes continuous. I think that in these (hard to find) position of the volume the PGA switch between two consecutive gain states. If this is true i think it is possible to correct via software: change the pga gain state only when you see two consecutive change of the value read from ADC in the same direction, a sort of software isteresis.

Ciao
Andrea

tilt said:
What is everyones thoughts on this opamp?

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD8397,00.html

It's been getting some decent reviews at head-fi. Apparently it has a built in buffer.

The AD8610 and other such JFET-input opamps are fairly easy to implement and swap around. However, the AD8397 is a bipolar-input opamp which, generally speaking, requires the circuit to be tailored to the opamp. With an AD8397 you will run into relatively large DC offset. Furthermore, the AD8397 tends to oscillate easily, from what I can remember.

Good opamp, from what I've heard, but not a candidate for this particular circuit.

Picture Show

Thanks to Tony D for selling me his parts.

Here's some pics of what I have done. I think I should tidy up the input/output wires a bit. It's not completely done yet, I have to take it back to my buddy's shop to drill the hole for the fuse holder the correct size. I noticed the "zero crossing" noise very audibly when I powered it up for the first time. So much so that I thought there was something wrong. After I played a couple songs, the noise lowered significantly. It is still there, but at a quiet and quite acceptable level. It was an odd phenomenon, since I hadn't touched the preamp at all to do anything to reduce noise levels.

Everything on the PCB is stock from Twisted Pear, except the transformer is my own. It is a larger XF, and has better regulation. It definately sounds wery nice, I can't say that I can tell a difference between this preamp and the Freebird, I would have to switch back and forth quickly to determine any differences. I do like the idea of the volume pot being out of the signal path. After many years of use the volume knob will not be scratchy. Enjoy the pics!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Slight problem

Where I live it is very cold and dry, so it is not uncommon for me to get an electrostatic zap when I touch some grounded metal like the chassis of my preamp. I know in the pics there is no earth ground connected but it is connected to the chassis now. Anyways, I've experienced twice now that when I get a zap from the chassis, there is no sound anymore. A bit scary at first, but I turn the preamp off then back on and it is working again.

What can I do to stop this. The electrostatic discharge is audible in my speakers. Would placing a large resistor like a 5MOhm between the chassis and earth ground help? I have checked that the chassis is not connected to the circuit in any way. The ground on the RCA's is completely isolated.

Thanks.

adding phono

I'm somewhat of a noob as far as preamps go, but not to soldering. I was wondering how would I go about adding a phono preamp like Elliott Sound's project P06 P06 or Hagtech's Bugle to the kookaburra?

Would it be something like this: RCA phono inputs>phono preamp board>into rotary switch> rotary switch out to kookaburra?like it shows in the project 88 wiring diagram

Could they be powered off of the transformer used for the Kookaburra?

If not, how would I hook up the seperate phono preamp power supply?

Thank you for any and all help.

I don't see any reason why something like the P06 could not be easily be added in front of the Kookaburra. I have never tried it, but I can't see any obvious issues, Go for it. :)

Some day I may get around to desning a phono stage, but for now just about any phono stage with a low(or even relatively high if you use the input buffer) output impedance should work fine as input into the kooka.

Cheers,
Russ

Russ White said:
I don't see any reason why something like the P06 could not be easily be added in front of the Kookaburra. I have never tried it, but I can't see any obvious issues, Go for it. :)

Some day I may get around to desning a phono stage, but for now just about any phono stage with a low(or even relatively high if you use the input buffer) output impedance should work fine as input into the kooka.

Cheers,
Russ

Thank you for your quick reply. Being new to preamps I am unfamiliar with power supplies. Would I run the phono off of the transformer or would I use the seperate power supply designed for it?

I looked at the VSPS page and the next batch of boards will be for sale this summer. I'm thinking about making my preamp with phono sooner than that.

As for the Elliott Sound Project 06 phono preamp would I just use the Project 05a power supply Project 05a page and connect it to the trafo (7VA) sold with the kookaburra kit?

Or the other options I am considering are..... running the Hagtech Bugle off of batteries or the Dantimax Phono 1 phono preamp kit.
Dantimax Phono 1 page. The Dantimax phono preamp has a power supply on it.

Once again, thanks for all your help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.