Dielectric Constant of Kraft Paper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just from a sense of curiosity, has anyone tried comparing the sound of one large capacitor versus a number of smaller units in parallel? All other things being equal, I'd expect ESL and ESR effects to be smaller.

I have little direct experience with this, but have heard there is some phase distortion with this in cossovers. Its great in PSUs.

Sadly, its the vacuum in my resume thats lacking.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
No special smiley's. There are all there, but it's hard to find what you're looking for sometimes. But another member showed me how to do this ...

Attachments

• worship.gif
    worship.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 104
anatech said:
DSP_Geek, a bunch of smaller ones are usually less expensive. They probably do sound better.

-Chris

I don't know about less expensive. PartsExpress pricing on 5 x 10 uF Solens is 5 x $4.32 = $21.60, whereas a 51 uF part is $13.92.

I do suspect the paralleled parts might sound better, for the same reason that two small power supply caps could have better performance than one large one. Note that switching supplies tend to have paralleled capacitors in the filtering circuits.

Francois.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Francois,
My error, I was thinking of electrolytics. With films that may not hold true due to the improved construction. You are at two extremes, there may be a better price point with only two - or not.

In switching power supplies we are talking about electrolytics. The smaller ones in parallel do yeld lower esr, etc. Different situation.

-Chris

Chris, stumbling onto old threads is the fruit of persistent 'research'. Old threads are great. I believe most realize that they are worth saving...until storage expenses exceed donations.

What puzzles me is the people who rag on subsequent posts to dormant threads. IMHO, it shows there is still interest, makes it visible again to others, and in some cases may be better than asking the same thing in a new thread. I might be missing the purpose of starting a new thread as some forums automatically suggest.

I just read an insulation brochure from a German company that had dielectric constant of 4.4 and 2 on same line with a parenthetical mention of oil.

Apparently oil-soaked paper is effectively another 'composite' dielectric with combined diverse properties.

Just as with foamed polymeric materials shiwing some traits in between air and the polymer...

I was reading about paper again in my frustrated quest to procure a small quantity of paper tube transformer winding 'coilforms'. Minimum order is prohibitive. Finding suitable paper slit to desired width is another hurdle. I may just use 3M Mylar tape.

I am pretty sick of PIO right now because two bags of 1970's (?) Ceramic body capacitors that smelled like transformer oil when I got them now have wet seals where leads exit. Either not hermetic, or not forever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.