Dielectric Constant of Kraft Paper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
poobah said:
Suppose for the moment we are barking up the wrong tree by looking for THD... then let's look for a new measurment.

I am the biggest skeptic of all, but for the comments/writings I have heard from guys I truly respect; I think this "capacitor thing" might be real.

I completely agree that if THD is the wrong measurement, which it probably is---or, better, is one probably one of a handful of relevant measures, not all of which are presently known---we must look elsewhere, which would mean to forge new ground, which gets you back to speculating in the series hear-speculate-determine&test. So I'm not jumped on as a moron, allow me to state my assumption that that series does not state a lockstep linear series of investigation, but folds back onto itself such that hearing determines speculation determines testing determines speculation etc.

poobah said:
Establishing audibility raises all the ugliest of issues... controlled testing.

Yes. Because until you control for known phenomena with regard to subjective perception, those elements will always remain as an ambiguity and you've not got anywhere.

Speculation is just that, but it is also the vehicle of discovery is it not?

But speculation is not an end in itself. Unless all you're interested in is showing off for the girls or something.

Suppose for the moment we are barking up the wrong tree by looking for THD... then let's look for a new measurment.

Ok. But if the reality is that none of this is actually audible in the first place, what's the poing?

I am the biggest skeptic of all, but for the comments/writings I have heard from guys I truly respect; I think this "capacitor thing" might be real.

And it just might be real. I have never claimed that it is not. My point is that you're not truly going to know that until you first establish actual audibility. Otherwise, ambiguity will remain and you're really no farther down the road than when you started.

se

serengetiplains said:
Whoa, hold the horses! To establish "actual audibility," you first gotta hear something...

I would say you first have to perceive something.

...then correlate measurements to hearing...

I would say then you determine whether the perception was due to something actually heard or something merely perceived. In other words, establish actual audibility.

Then you start correlating measurements, and then you may ultmately end up discovering causation. Don't forget, correlation and causation are not one and the same.

which is to say hearing comes first---it's a priori, as some might say.

I define hearing as perception as a result of actual audibility as opposed to perception that may be due to other, non-related causes.

se

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Tweeker,
Multi-Chip-Module circuit printing results suggest that the low-cost composite made with HF (from avian sources) and plant oil (from soybean) has the potential to replace the dielectrics in microchips
Does this mean we could catch avian flu from IC's and caps? :xeye:

I believe there is an effect there, audibility is a sticky ball I wouldn't want to touch!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.