Dx Amplifier, the standard one...the first made at home

I do imagine was in 2005

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• PLACA 2013 1.jpg
    PLACA 2013 1.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 756
I agree with OS. "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery". When someone sees DX amp for sale they must Google and that will bring them to the many wonderful threads here on DIY audio. The beginnng of your legacy. I think Bonsai realized that as well. His NX amp boards are being sold on ebay and add to his legacy. The more DX amp boards sold means that many more homes enjoying the DX sound, and the legacy spreads. I have always meant to build some of your earlier amps. This thread has piqued my interest again..

Blessings, Terry

Hello Mr. Carlos!

Still fighting with newer ending story.... :)

My DestroyerX Turbo is still blowing out my brains for SEVEN years. Left without housing but naked pcb with wires gives me much more pleasure.

Hehe... somehow this project has changed my life :)

When was building first Destroyer I had young daughter, now I have son 4 years old :) Still hard to find place where is safe to turn on soldering iron.

Keep going Mr. Carlos!!!

Many thanks ;)

Microp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 819
Many guys in Brazil still assemble this amplifier

There are some pirates in Ebay selling pcboards with parts included...i do not like because it is non authorized copies, as a result i do not help people that is assembling using these pcboards... i use to ask people to show me their home made etched pcboards.

But, in absence of pcboards i understand that some guys that cannot etch by themselves goes to these pirates..... despite my understanding i do not support piracy even understanding the builder limitations of knowledge....i do think they can use wood and nails, veroboard or prototype board, ask a friend to etch to them or something alike...if they decide by pirate boards i will wish them good luck but will not help them.

Here you have a breadboard style...good to beginners....this was the way i have started with 9 years old, in 1960:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrG98HJ3Z6w

You can use BD139 and BD140 instead of TIP41C and TIP42C... also the input transistors you can use BC556 transistor, 2SC1815 and many others...this will not harm the sound if you use BJT with gain from 100 to 350.

This amplifier has an interesting bass reproduction, it has a longer and loosen uncontrolled bass.... i do like this kind of bass, sounds the same way you hit an oil barrel... reverberated for long time..... sound good for Japanese drums, that sound you could listen in the movie "Pearl Harbour"

It is not so good as Dx Blame ST or Dx Super A, but the bass is better to my personal taste... not technically better, just better for some guy's taste.

VBE multiplier transistor goes outside the pcboard and installed into the heatsink, it can go over the PNP output transistor too (more hot because usually has more gain than the NPN).

You can use any output pair, 100 volts and 5 amperes (or more) power transistors will fit.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx amplifier-dx amplifier schematic-1.png
    dx amplifier-dx amplifier schematic-1.png
    139 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
from your current signature:
Hugh Dean and me have always suggested that you should use silver mica capacitors in the compensation, ceramic can variate it's value more than 80 percent depending the voltage applied... and now, many years latter; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQyQUkwmMk

hmmmmm - this is a video about X7R caps of 'high value' - nobody in their right mind would use this for Cdom - what you need is npo and it's arguably a better cap than silva mica since the latter dielectric has higher absorption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_capacitor#Voltage_dependence_of_capacitance

Attachments

• Delta-Cap-versus-Spannung-english.svg.png
    Delta-Cap-versus-Spannung-english.svg.png
    29 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Sorry to disagree...there's a lot of beginners that have no idea about that

You are a master..... there are young folks learning in this forum dear Bigun.

That video was removed as i have published, once again, the simple darlington toy to a rainy weekend.... video about capacitors is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MQyQUkwmMk

Sorry, dear Bigun, this time you are not a reference....your knowledge is much higher than the average.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
I think we're saying the same thing.

Ceramic caps come in many types. Only the NP0 type are suitable for compensation, especially if you don't have easy access to other types. Do not use the other types (e.g. X7R) as these are poor for use in compensation.

I might be wrong but I think Hugh uses Silver Mica for different reasons, subtle reasons. The higher dielectric absorption of the mica gives it a dampening effect so you can use a lower value in Cdom. It is a subjective preference and I'd be surprised if it was because Hugh believes it is connected with the voltage dependence of the X7R types of ceramic caps.

see also:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/77299-ceramic-capacitors.html

Basics of Ceramic Chip Capacitors

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.