Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautifull amplifier...unavoidable to stolle things

as no one of us have created the electron, the transistor, the differential, the voltage amplifier, the VBE multiplier, the ohms law and so on....

Be happy... i hope had something in common, or alike to my amplifier.. and for sure will have...at least...electrons!.

Ahahahahahahahah!

Carlos

I use to Build my Amplifiers on this Breadboard,s because I do not have a Laser Printer available, and my Electronics Salesman is to busy with his one Amplifiers.

He sales up to 10 units a day some of it with up to 20 Toshiba 2SA1930/2SC5200 Pare,s on the Output driven with +-90Volt, these are mostly for open air Concert,s and Karaoke Bar,s.

An because that Lovely guy i am in Diy Haven, than hi is the main parts distributor for all Electronic Sops and Stores in my nearest little City abut 10 Km, from my Home.

Yes Carlos i am very happy sins I decided to live my home Country, Switzerland and in now 5 years in Thailand I am a very Happy guy!

Regards
Dan

Interesting hystory..from Switzeland to Thai

hehehe...world became a small village to you.... this if fine...this is what the world is, a small village.

people are not too much different, just the language...audiophiles are almost the same..all them fanatic.

A friend, a very good and close friend, knowing i dislike when he change something into my amplifiers, when assemble with different parts, he use to call them bastardx.... in my language we use bastardex...bastard plus dx.

Also i could see a Led..you're using something different into the long tail i think...this changes sonics if this amplifier is a Dx, for sure sounds different than mine one... diode is normally used to reference CCS, i am using a voltage regulator, not a current source.... each subcircuit substituted change sonics compared to the original schematic, and i have tested almost all possibilities... to my personal taste, they have not increased audio quality..the opposite.

Carlos

So today I gut the missing Parts for your Dx Standard, the TIP 41/42 and some strange Resister valves like the 82 and 820 Ohm,s and some Elna Audio grade Condensers for the Bootstrap.

For the Input I would use 2,2uF but the lovely Lady in the Store gave my 22uF Bipolar and I donut saw it, bat I have some Elna Silmic 10uF for the Input if dis is Ok for you Carlos.

I got the Parts in the nearest bigger City abut 70Km, from my Home, and the Tip,s seem to bi Originals from ST Microelectronics.

Regards
Dan

Oh!... very different and enormous TIP42.... mine are TO220

Those modifications you had to make will not change audio quality...modifications in topologie can change a lot as i could see testing almost all known options into this circuit...this will not bother the amplifier stability what is more important.

The good idea about the use of low speed drivers, alike TIP41 and TIP42 and several others that do not goes over 10 Megahertz, and some of them do not reach even 3 Megahertz as i have tried them into Radio Frequency transceivers without good results..so..they cannot oscilate into the frequencies the amplifiers usually oscilates.... if they cannot, as a result you will not have oscilations...and this is safe to the amplifier, increasing reliability... also BD139 and BD140 and more several others (billions of transistors are able to operate there) can work, but those ones are much more oscilations addicted than the original ones, because BD139 can operate above 100 Megahertz, as i have used them into Radio transceivers as drivers..and they could operate even into the FM band.

You see..audio goes to 20 thousand...those transistors, known as low speed trainees, in the reality can work into frequecies 150 times bigger, so, they are unable to limit the amplifier operation into such a so low frequency as we have into the audio bandwidth...the slew rate is good enougth and the attack speed when you listen treble is very, very, very nice.

Welcome to the Dx Corporation as a happy member, owner of a reliable amplifier that will survive to yourself and will be left as heritage to your sons and grandsons...they migth do not know what to do with those things (amplifiers) as they gonna have chips under the skull skin receiving broadcasting that gonna be tunned depending their will and controled by the brain radiation.

I will search for you an amplifier that uses the same schematic you have into the Dx amplifier.... very small differences are, because current decisions to bias and some small details..but sonics, because topologie is the same, is almost the same sonics..and you will recognize immediatelly when listening.

regards,

Carlos

Listen this small video connecting your computer to a good set of speaker and a good amplifier... and wait the ending part when you gonna listen a beautifull guitar playing and you gonna perceive the amplifier speed beeing good, as sounds alike a real guitar, even beeing a recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=warJLziW6gk

Hi Dan,
the filters fitted to the input of the power amp must define the passband of the amplifier.
The High Pass filter consists of the DC blocking caps, which can be fitted in the Source and/or in the Power amp, combined with the Rin setting resistor should set the bass response of the amplifier.
If you fit too large a capacitor in this filter then you risk generating an AC voltage across the NFB capacitor creating avoidable distortion and if the PSU capacitance (filter) is set higher than either of the input filter or the NFB filter then you risk LF instability.

Select the correct DC blocking capacitor value to suit what is fitted inside the amplifier (NFB) and PSU.

AndrewT is rigth..better to use the correct parts is you can

But the harm you gonna have with your parts will not destroy the sonics entirelly.... you can use this way for a while till you find the good parts to install.

Try to obbey the schematic values, the resistances and capacitances, to obtain the tested performance all folks that had assembled have obtained.

Do not bother with fashion parts, or silver mica, poliester, black gates or such things..the amplifier can works fine with the parts you find...but obbeying the values suggested into the schematic....if those parts can really reproduce better sound, something i do not believe, will result even better to the equipment to install black gates or something alike..but it is guaranteed nice performance, with delicious sonics, even without those sophisticated, high technologie, mythic or fashion parts.

Fashion and expensive and golden parts will make enormous difference if you believe them...if you believe golden capacitors will reproduce golden plated highs, them use them and you gonna listen this way, as we have our will that controls our brain.

regards,

Carlos

I Would Like To Ask You Special Atention To This Important Subject

Never trust in personal evaluations, into feelings and beliefs, in special if the one is representative of a brand, designer of an amplifier, someone that belongs to the crew that created the amplifier, someone that build the amplifier, someone that has bougth the amplifier paying a big ammount of money and so on..they will not be fair..unless they use scientific method to evaluate things... and this is a rarity...usually people is proud, they say they're skilled, that they have a musical ears, that they have musical memory and so on..all foolishes, non sense..more pride than logics... a real piece of non logical foolish.

This is dedicated to the ones have scientific minds that we CANNOT trust into audiophile evaluation... we are unfair, we have beliefs, tendences, ideas about... all that stuff influences our evaluations, also our needs, our psychological self, our pride.

Observe what happened that made me LEARN A LOT!

1) I have invited friends to listen the Aksa 55 that arrived i 2004...they were deeply impressed and found it wonderfull..was a figth , as they asked schematics and i could not give them.

2) Invited once again, weeks latter, i was presenting them the Aksa 55 Nirvana Plus, with several modifications into the circuit...amplifier not shown, inside the case, covered...in the reality was my own version of Aksa..something alike the Dx..but worse than the Dx we have now a days... they found better...much better... and once again a figth because the schematics.... attention..was not Aksa..was mine one!...so i have beated Aksa?....NO!

3) Invited them to a comparison with amplifiers...i told them one was Aksa 55 and the other was my amplifier version (that old one
they imagine was Aksa because i have lied to them)..now was comparison... Blind...no one could see the amplifiers..i was there with a switch in my hands, my back to them (not to see my face smile) and sitted over the speaker they were listening.... same power..same musical source...same volume..same...all the same..same speaker..but two different amplifiers...Aksa and mine into a comparative testing, blind, from A to B.

Aksa have smashed my amplifier..all them voted to Aksa...mine one, considered good with the last meeting was considered mufled in trebles, not clear voices and too much bass... and Aksa was considered wonderfull ( and it really is wonderfull )

You see how people behaves....first Aksa was famous..so.. evaluation was good... second was Aksa special, a better Aksa..so... was wonderfull once again...they have evaluated fame, cost and brand..not sound!

But into the comparative..well... the reality comes to us!.

Attention with that stuff folks.... we use to think heavy ones are better... the most pretty ones are better..the most high technological ones are better, the most modern ones are better, the most expensive ones as better, the more rare ones as better and sometimes the most distorted ones (louder, even into the same real power sounds lowder to human ears) are better.

You gonna have a lot of surprises doing serious testing... a lot of surprises, many myths will be smashed facing the reality.

regards,

Carlos

Dont worry, be happy...

Hi there,

Hi Carlos, i dont know what happens here, but i`ve read them all. I`m in progress to finish my second amp dx standard with Mr Carlos suggestion. Hope can finish it early and show the picture here.

In my opinion, we must respect the owner, as i do respect Uncle Carlos. There is no problem with dx standard, no need modification to it unless you ask for high volt and ask to Uncle for suggestion. I`ve learn something and i understand what Mr Carlos mean by modified dx standard into this thread will make Carlos busy to solve lots of problem and it will happens. So Mr Carlos suggestion is right make another thread and named it as you want and there is your own responsibility.

The points is when you modified it within this thread will make people confuse about dx amp, some add this and that lol you can imagine that :D.

Mr Carlos just want to take care dx amp and will not confuse anyone in this thread will have same schematic and to who want to built it. so its easy and peace.

So Lets forget about it, and enjoy with dx amp, i`ve no problem with this amp low cost, not many transistor, just resistor cost you just few cents / pcs, but the sound is really amazing :D.

I hope i`m not touch anybody feeling, if i do and i would like to apology and please forgive me.

Best Regards,
Azmi.

danspy said:
Sorry but I like to build a new one with the Parts I got yesterday and not to Modify the one in the Picture.

And that new one will not have any Part modification,s to your DX Standard, so the Breadboard will be the Greatest non linearity in dis Building.

Regards
Dan

Nice nice Dan, I`m stay in Malaysia, hehehe not too far i think, yes do use what transistor you have with right position BCE/ECB be careful with leg pin number but if you have exactly would be better, jusr maintain the resistor with dx amp standard on schematic.

What voltage rails you plan to run it? better try as Uncle Carlos suggestion first at +35 0 -35 vdc low voltage is better for fitst time attemp.

Regards,
Azmi

AndrewT said:
Hi Dan,
the filters fitted to the input of the power amp must define the passband of the amplifier.
The High Pass filter consists of the DC blocking caps, which can be fitted in the Source and/or in the Power amp, combined with the Rin setting resistor should set the bass response of the amplifier.
If you fit too large a capacitor in this filter then you risk generating an AC voltage across the NFB capacitor creating avoidable distortion and if the PSU capacitance (filter) is set higher than either of the input filter or the NFB filter then you risk LF instability.

Select the correct DC blocking capacitor value to suit what is fitted inside the amplifier (NFB) and PSU.

Hallo AndrewT

When I understand you Right then you mean if the Input Filter cutoff is to close or lower then the NFB Filters cutoff then the interactions between them can cause Distortions?

Hallo norazmi

I have all the Datasheet,s from my Transistors so if I mess whit the Pins then only accidentally but thanks for yore care.

For the supply I use a 2x24 3A IE core Transformer per side whit very pore regulation but for test Purposes it is Ok, and give abut 34-32 Dc.

Regards
Dan

Hi Carlos

In my 20 years listening to Amplifiers an 2 years modifying them, i came to the conclusion that the Input Cap has a good Influence on the Sonics, and the Stereo image.

An that Mkp,s are not good to Bass and Electrolytes are bad for Mids and High,s compared with no Caps on the Input.

Regards
Dan

Make sense to me... electrolitics are coiled and use to kill treble

about the MKT i have doubts....but may be an interesting idea to test.

Watch the schematic...observe that the input resistance is in series with the input condenser, and this one is in series with the first transistor base resistance..this is a filter to ground..the biggest the condenser, the smallest will be your treble as the filter will have, alike an enormous throat, to eat your treble, to sent if to ground.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• high frequency filter.gif
    high frequency filter.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 389
Status
Not open for further replies.