Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money is fine...also time..... well.... Pink Floyd is excelent.

Using 47 Volts DC supply you will go to the limit..... the power limit over 8 ohms to a single pair of transistors, and also the voltage limit of some units people use, as BD139.

But this will not be very clear to you.... difference may produce bad results as will make speaker distort.... sound pressure, in your ambience may not be bigger.

If you want loud sound.... increase the speaker driver numbers... more air pressure...more diafragm area "pumping" air molecules.... sound pressure is what you want...more speakers...not expensive units, many of them in series and parallel arrangement, and inside tuned enclosures with enougth volume to hold the drivers.

We need to double power to perceive some...and not very easy... normally we need much more than that do perceive real increasings.

But, if will make you happy, go ahead.

Please, remember that 8 ohms will be the smallest impedance you can use, when your voltage will be 47 plus and 47 minus, and using a single pair in the output.

regards,

Carlos

Replaced VAS with expensive genuine philips bd139, moved it to VBE board... to take that one out... but it was still makeing the noise... so I eliminated those two transistors...

As I saw a few threads about crackle and the diff pair...
I replaced input diff pair... it made a few crackles while I set the offset... and now settled into a nice 2.9 - 3mv offset range... with no crackleing and popping....

Will switch it on tommorrow morning and leave it on for testing, while I can keep an eye on it....

Re: Money is fine...also time..... well.... Pink Floyd is excelent.

destroyer X said:

Using 47 Volts DC supply you will go to the limit..... the power limit over 8 ohms to a single pair of transistors, and also the voltage limit of some units people use, as BD139.

But this will not be very clear to you.... difference may produce bad results as will make speaker distort.... sound pressure, in your ambience may not be bigger.

If you want loud sound.... increase the speaker driver numbers... more air pressure...more diafragm area "pumping" air molecules.... sound pressure is what you want...more speakers...not expensive units, many of them in series and parallel arrangement, and inside tuned enclosures with enougth volume to hold the drivers.

We need to double power to perceive some...and not very easy... normally we need much more than that do perceive real increasings.

But, if will make you happy, go ahead.

Please, remember that 8 ohms will be the smallest impedance you can use, when your voltage will be 47 plus and 47 minus, and using a single pair in the output.

regards,

Carlos

Hello

Microp can use high efficiency full range loudspeaker like the Fostex FE206E, it have 96 db out at 1 watt !!

Check at www.madisound.com to have the spec and the box size.

Gaetan

Attachments

• fe206e-b.jpg
    fe206e-b.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 316
Nordic said:
Replaced VAS with expensive genuine philips bd139, moved it to VBE board... to take that one out... but it was still makeing the noise... so I eliminated those two transistors...

As I saw a few threads about crackle and the diff pair...
I replaced input diff pair... it made a few crackles while I set the offset... and now settled into a nice 2.9 - 3mv offset range... with no crackleing and popping....

Will switch it on tommorrow morning and leave it on for testing, while I can keep an eye on it....

Hello Nordic

So input diff pair can cause crackle, those transistor was deffect ?

Did you use a matched pair ?

Thank

Gaetan

Yes I suspect they may have suffered some damage... although they still worked... they were matched with my multimeter on a nice fresh batery, as is the set that is in now

The amp is still running, offset dropped to 2.6 -2.7mv range... still no noise...

I would say the noise floor is even lower with dedicated wires to the e-link spots... or maybe it is just because the 10r to ground is shorted out...

Nordic said:
Yes I suspect they may have suffered some damage... although they still worked... they were matched with my multimeter on a nice fresh batery, as is the set that is in now

Hello

I read somewhere that sometime we need to do a dynamic matching of transistors. and not only matching the dc static gain, so if there a problem you see it and it's do a better matching.

Btw, it could be usefull to find a simple schematic of a circuit for dynamic matching of transistors.

Gaetan

Thanks, Gaetan....

I already bought speakers.... they handle real 100W rms!

I have toroid to wind 1kw PS at any voltage I want. Push Dx to its limit will be much more cheaper than my 300euro speakers (all money spent) .... and a feeling that Dx is a monster .... :D

I have only light Eagle version... and my Dx already is compressed to it. I can't create turbo version on it. I have to draw pcb with corel draw then export to plt file and ...... long time and there is no backup as in Eagle.

Attachments

• cimg1187.jpg
    cimg1187.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 312
Re: Thanks, Gaetan....

microp said:
I already bought speakers.... they handle real 100W rms!

I have toroid to wind 1kw PS at any voltage I want. Push Dx to its limit will be much more cheaper than my 300euro speakers (all money spent) .... and a feeling that Dx is a monster .... :D

I have only light Eagle version... and my Dx already is compressed to it. I can't create turbo version on it. I have to draw pcb with corel draw then export to plt file and ...... long time and there is no backup as in Eagle.

Hello

Go to http://www.diptrace.com/ ,there is a free software for pcb making.

Gaetan

There are misteries rounding dear nephew Nordic place

Strange things happens there.... he had a noisy transistor.... i am not having that kind of problem those last 43 and half years.... the one noisy was a Germanium unit....ahahaha..i have dismounted to watch inside...and cleaned...one lead broke and was "fixed" without solder.

Murphy law... if things have to be bad... for sure they will be bad.

Living and learning...... transistors producing crack noise..pops...and trimpot not guilty...not solder...hehe

regards,

Carlos

......................................................................................................

Microp

What a nice speaker!

And 100 watts, real power?..... nice that!

So, you can construct a higher power version, than you will operate your amplifier distant from the clipping and distortions, and having a matched (in power) speaker to produce the fun.

Very nice!... really nice speakers..... yessss!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• cruzes!!!.jpg
    cruzes!!!.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 441
I replaced that microphonic wire between the RCA and input, during which time I switched off the amp... somehow DC offset is now only about 2mV... its getting better uncle Charly.... I feel like a real repair guy now... can't wait to kill the slight hum in the other channel...got more skill in setting these up now with all the practice....

The channel I fixed now is nice and quiet, you have to about touch the speaker with your ear to hear a faint hum.

EDIT EDIT EDIT... there it started again....

Oh well only 4 transistors left that it could be...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :bigeyes:

Well folks..... i think i have found the "one step up" amplifier.

I am listening the one for more than 24 hours.... of course i stopped to sleep, and it is sounding very good.

I have problems, unstabilities and crazy things happened, .... i think the type of board i was using.

I am comparing, and depending the type of the music, the one is eating Dx amplifier.... showing details hard to be perceived listening my amplifier.

But there are musics where the unit is beated....i am having doubts.

I call children and they have voted in Doctor Bora amplifier.

I will call my friends to judge this unit.... difference is not so great, but for sure it has differences.

The bass is smaller than the Dx amplifier,but more controled...each tone is perceived more clear, also the time of bass is different..seems has less "sustain" than Dx amplifier.

Power is less, with the same voltage...the same Dx supply...the same audio source.

The amplifier is not entirelly finished, debugged into my personal construction, there are some strange things happening there...some pulse that appear from 6 to 6 seconds that i could not discover the reason.

The advantage i could perceive was details, some instruments that are small in volume.... details of the orchestration i could perceive more clearly.... focused, more detailed.... treble fine.

I did not have apreciated the dinamics, the unit seemed compressed to me.

Very strange..... very good.... at same time...very strange.

But it seems it will be "one step up" amplifier i was searching.

And this one, Techno, is not the last designs made by Doctor Bora...he has better schematics.

Thanks Doctor Bora, by the chance to listen your amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• techno, by bora.gif
    techno, by bora.gif
    85.6 KB · Views: 538
I am still having some problems, not only to conclude

If it is really one step up or not!

Because has advantages and disadvantages.

Maybe his last design...or a better one, the " T Reference" will be even better.

His Techno suffered some small modifications...inclusion of rail resistances and other small things.... some capacitors also.

The biggest difficulty is to find an unit that can win in all battle fronts, let's say this way...dinamics, treble, mids, bass, power, sound stage, noise, focus, deepness, smaller distortion and precision (fidelity).

Techno is a great amplifier...for sure it is... a very good sounding unit.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• the designer.gif
    the designer.gif
    33.4 KB · Views: 427
Status
Not open for further replies.